Author Topic: The Ministry of Sports & Youth Affairs presents FREE GAMING  (Read 16981 times)

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
  • CPU: i5 3470
  • GPU: GTX 780
  • RAM: 8GB Corsair
  • Broadband: Blink 2Mb + Flow 20Mb
Re: The Ministry of Sports & Youth Affairs presents FREE GAMING
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2008, 03:23:23 PM »
lol ok you gone and make it personal now. Lets not go there.

I think a valid point was raised, lets stick to the topic and not start finger pointing.

Carigamers

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2008, 03:23:23 PM »

Offline rb

• Sannin
  • Chakra 6
    • Xbox 360,PS2, Dreamcast
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
  • XBL: spoonztt
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008, 03:47:29 PM »
I don't think thats finger pointing at all but rather a harsh reality of how things are down here.

I think people need to stop looking at short term and start looking ahead. Thats the point xen is trying to make. Everything starts small and builds it way up. This is the government's first entry into gaming so obviously things will not sit well with everyone. This is youth month also so its fair to say that the game selection suits the build. Promoting gaming as a positive thing, doesnt exactly sound like bullets and nades are in order especially given our crime situation that doesnt seem to be getting better.

The weekday thing, yeah bad idea I agree, but considering Centre of Excellence, Movietowne and hell even trincity mall is booked up. it was either do it or not. They decided to go ahead, not a bad idea. WASD has a good dream of seeing government sponsored gaming, E-Sport if you will. The fact that the govt even considered gaming is a plus seeing all the bad rep gamers and gaming get (and you can see why).

If you come out great, you'll be helping e-sport get 1 step closer to reality. If not fine you wont be judged as everyone has priorities. But don't be an empty barrel and shit all over something that can potentially be great in the future, especially when as a gaming organisation you have very little to show and should be guiding them along rather than just blasting them outright.

To the tournament team I pose this question - How would you like if no one showed up to GATT events and shit all over it on the whole ?

Offline AR!Ø

• Kage
  • Chakra 12
  • Mai
    • PS3 - WiiU - GC
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k @ 3.40ghz
  • GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 690 by ASUS
  • RAM: 8 GB @ 1600Mhz Kingston HyperX Beast
  • Origin ID: ariormtr
  • PSN: ario0787
  • Steam: ario0787
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2008, 04:02:08 PM »
The Ministry of Sports & Youth Affairs presents FREE GAMING

Offline lillith

• Genin
  • Chakra 22
    • View Profile
    • photography
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2008, 04:04:45 PM »
Well rb although I think u r right I also think that there are other spaces that not necessarily have to be this malls, look I’ve seen events planned and executed in spaces like the savanna for example, Hasley Crawford stadium, the jean pier complex... (if I miss spelled something I’m sorry I’m not from here), but I think that the government making the first step is a great opportunity for gamers to make their way to be acknowledge as a large community, not only a bunch of kids with lots of time to waste, I for once plan to go and check it out. I'll take pics.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 04:07:50 PM by lillith »
"...fighting with a Pig is pointless, you end up full of crap and the Pig enjoys it..."

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008, 04:10:40 PM »
Now let me just make something clear now. I'm not opposed to the Government's move eh. I'm glad to see that they're showing some initiative and are at least willing to give gaming in T&T a try. If you can support it, by all means go out and do just that.

Its just that the WAY in which it was done is NOT condusive at all to attracting the maximum amount of people something like this COULD attract, and for that points are lost.

Carigamers

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008, 04:10:40 PM »

Offline rb

• Sannin
  • Chakra 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2008, 04:12:09 PM »
Minister of Sport has barred the use of all sporting facilities for events other than sporting, since they do not see gaming as a legitimate sport as yet so..

Offline lillith

• Genin
  • Chakra 22
    • View Profile
    • photography
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2008, 04:16:01 PM »
as opossed to gourmet expos and car shows, that r so sporty. hmm wonder if i can get a medal for speed eating chocolate
"...fighting with a Pig is pointless, you end up full of crap and the Pig enjoys it..."

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2008, 04:22:50 PM »
Minister of Sport has barred the use of all sporting facilities for events other than sporting, since they do not see gaming as a legitimate sport as yet so..

So i just want to get this straight in my head...The ministry of sport and youth affairs is the organising body. So you mean to tell me that the Minister of SPORT won't allow the ministry of SPORT and youth affairs to use a sporting arena to hold a game expo? Looks like I made a big mistake voting for that guy.

Sigh. how so very sad this country is.

Offline rb

• Sannin
  • Chakra 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2008, 04:25:17 PM »
Hey they did it for football...

Offline Exar_Kun

• Jonin
  • Chakra 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2008, 08:25:51 PM »
Guys, as much as we might like for this to be some massive event on a Saturday, taking up the whole Queens park Savannah, time to be realistic here.

The Govt has no idea what kinda support they would get so they gonna try something something small and see what the response is like. It's a logical move. As far as they know this absolutely will fail, so why go through unnecessary expense?

I think it's a good first step, and at least shows some interest by them. But let's face it, you always have naysayers no matter what. If it was all those things I said you WILL STILL have man bawlin':
"Buh hoss, Saturday is cinema day, I ent goin"
"Waaay, quite town boy, bun dat yes"
"Where *insert game here*. Dis is rel ballz,I ent goin"
"*steups*. Only a hundred thousand dollars first prize? Ent Ato get a house? Boycott dat yes"

Either support it or don't. But at least some initiative is being shown. Misguided ideas or not.

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2008, 08:50:44 PM »
I cant help but get the feeling that this thing was not planned properly and was rushed. Im sure if they had this in mind a couple months ago and booked the place for a weekend, they would have gotten through. but as usual, government again, usual creeping motions they go through to do everything, the place wasnt booked in time and they had to put it for a weekday.

The best time to measure support is on a weekend when a considerably greater number of people would be available.

Offline Xen_spartan-117

• Chunin
  • Chakra -1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.EXTREME.com
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2008, 10:17:49 PM »
you know i wanted to really keep quiet and make you guys decide for yourself, but the only reason that this thing got passed in parliament in the first place, was that a GAMER was on the COMMITTEE and had to nag the hell out of everyone with the concept of gaming at a serious level. That gamer took high levels of flack,ridicule and questioning for one's professionalism in order for this event to even exist, for the same community that he thought his own community would hopefully come out and support. Worse yet have the games that would really have the event running insanely good pace, be quashed by his superiors due to its "violent nature" and "negative themes" but still, he strived in order for this event to still take place. And all hes asking is for everyone to simply unite and support. Regardless if yuh have work,school,gyal or family to take care of. A simple hour..NO a MINUTE of your support in person would be significant......But if we cant provide that..then gaming was never meant to go very far in this country if its community cant support
on the battlefield,you must learn in the battles that ended in victory or defeat...you must think about if those lives were either spent for a good cause or or wasted

Offline New Era Outlaw

• Divides by Zero
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 131
  • The prodigal gunslinger returns.
    • PS3, PS4
    • View Profile
  • PSN: RyRodrigo
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2008, 10:31:30 PM »
Drama? On the Internets? My goodness.

In all seriousness, though, after looking through the thread, I have to admit this one thing....Xen is very correct in what he says. The Government is finally taking some interest in the gaming community, and has even taken the time to help out in promoting it. This was something we, to this day, have yet to accomplish.

...and, exactly what do we have to say in response?

NO 360 games? Dota for PC alone? No COD4? 11am to 7pm on WEEKDAYS?

Who the hell organized this thing?

the non violent games is not the problem

its the days an times

cause obviously the ministry knows nothign about gaming
so they trying to run a gaming event like the runnin de country

aka
epic fail

[/quote]
all that NONSENSE that
xen now post dere

lol take it or leave it, support a nonsensical event

that is PRECISELY the kind of backward GOVERNMENTAL thinking that is ruining the country and would threaten to ruin gaming.

The government is/are not professional gamers. so they cant possibly think themselves teh authority on throwing a gaming event. THey need to consult with the appropriate professionals to pull off these events sucessfully. The gaming populace would not promote such events during times where GAMERS are not likely to participate.

The take it or leave it mentality is NOTTTTTT the way to go, believe me, i work in government and am utterly disgusted with how disconnected they are from reality.

So that little speech you just gave, SHOVE IT.

These comments truly have me shaking my head right now. Particularly yours, Crixx, because those are some of the most closed-minded comments I have ever seen coming from a gamer's mouth. Especially coming from somebody who has become almost renowned for no-showing virtually everything, you really don't have a right to talk.

Now, I might be inadvertently burning myself in the process here, but are we here, right now, in a position to nitpick anything? Our tournament schedule isn't even done yet (though I do plan to correct that very soon). If anything, we should be the last people to talk about running gaming events right now. We should be grateful, at the very least, that the government is doing something to help along the gaming community. And I'm seeing some decent titles there, too. Tekken DR, FIFA (I believe it's FIFA) and Smash Bros. Brawl? Those are all compulsory games in the tournament scene. Kid games or not.

Also, guys.....I know the weekday thing does seem like a big turnoff here, but, from what I understand, this thing's going until 8 in the night. Now, I know my working hours are from 8 to 4 (and co-incidentally, so are a lot of peoples'), so I can be there for at least a couple of hours. But, as this is an event really geared towards children/teenagers, who are most likely on vacation right now, they probably held this on a weekday to keep those kids active through the holidays.

That, and this was said earlier.

the mall is booked til the end of summer...

Seriously. Try to book any mall during a summer vacation during the holidays. I double dare you. That is either going to be extremely expensive or fighting with a whole lot of others who had dibs on the weekends.

Now, I am going to be there. (Or at least attempt to.)
I, for one, think it's a good thing that people are trying something to promote gaming in Trinidad, and it looks like word of this is spreading like wildfire. We, as GATTers, should be embracing these things and giving them our support, and, if we feel we can top this, then let's actually show it instead of whining about it. Seriously guys.....those comments have a lot of people laughing their a**es off. Except for me. If anything, it shows that we can do a lot better, and we need to buck up.

With that said, to those of you in the tournament team, you shall be hearing from me this weekend.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 10:36:12 PM by New_Era_Outlaw »

Offline SPK

• Ancient
  • Sannin
  • Chakra 16
  • You ever wonder why we're here...?
    • Glorious PC Gaming Master Race.
    • View Profile
  • CPU: AMD FX 8320
  • GPU: Sapphire Radeon 7870 2GB
  • RAM: 2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1333.
  • Broadband: Flow.
  • Steam: spk1983tt
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2008, 11:08:23 PM »
I think NEO summed it up there pretty nicely...

Sure it may not be much that the Ministry is doing, but at least it's better than NOTHING!

To the naysayers @ this event who are largely bitching and moaning about the various issues... if you don't like what they are doing, how they are bringing this around, THEN YOU COME BETTER!!! PUT UP YOUR OWN DAMN MONEY AND MAKE YOUR STAND!!!

Otherwise, make the effort and show them that we are serious.

That is all.
Nagamete iru dake ja, itsumademo te ni dekinai...nagamete iru dake ja, kimi no mono ni wa naranai...

ssssssSSSSSSS...That's a nice everything you got there....SSSSSSS.

Offline New Era Outlaw

• Divides by Zero
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 131
    • PS3, PS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2008, 05:57:15 AM »
If anything, everybody here (not just the tournament team) needs to seriously consider this question that was brought up in this thread earlier today. If you guys missed it the first time, here it is again, in LARGER TEXT.

To the tournament team I pose this question - How would you like if no one showed up to GATT events and sh*t all over it on the whole ?

Take a good long look, people, because that is a damn good question, given the context of this thread.

Offline Crixx_Creww

• Akatsuki
  • Chakra -12
  • ANBU OF THE HIDDEN VILLAGE FOAK
    • Atari 2600.
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
    • www.crixxcrew.com
  • CPU: Intel Q6600 @3.2 Ghz
  • GPU: Nvidia Xfx geforce 9800GTX+
  • RAM: 8 Gigs Mixed kingston and corsair ddr2
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2008, 09:06:55 AM »
If anything, everybody here (not just the tournament team) needs to seriously consider this question that was brought up in this thread earlier today. If you guys missed it the first time, here it is again, in LARGER TEXT.

To the tournament team I pose this question - How would you like if no one showed up to GATT events and sh*t all over it on the whole ?

Take a good long look, people, because that is a damn good question, given the context of this thread.

mmm yes yes cause NO ONE criticizes GATT events right.. yes yes, cause criticism is a BAD THING
and we should all hold our tongues and let the cards fall where they may.

I didnt realise we werent allowed to criticise anything on the internets anymore iam like all sorry and stuff... lol

If there are obvious flaws, they are going to be pointed out.

I DONT CARE who is throwing the event, as i only even just realised it is being hosted in partnership with TG, i have NO PROBLEM WITH TG AS I HAVE STATED LIKE INFINITY +1 times.

But  i see noooooooooooooooooo reason to hold my tongue on OBVIOUS FLAWS, and i believe everyone has a right to provide criticism.

That comment about putting up your own money to throw the event was just silly.
You have +++++ more money than the government?? no?? didnt think so.

But regardless of who is throwing the event, if you not doing it properly and its being pointed out, then know wen to ask for help and know when to take advice. That is all.

If you do something wrong and BADLY you can do much more harm than good. As they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I work for teh government and i know how retarded and near sighted they are/can be.
And the only way to change that would be for a strong enough opposition to provide proper direction, especially if it can be done in the ways the government likes.

It would have been  much more powerfull to have all of the current gaming factions present at the event, as well as have all the little kiddies come out and play.

So the government and the populace at large would realise that gaming is not simply for kiddies, that it is positive and alive and that the kiddies gaming, have gaming role models to look up to.

WE as gamers know that gaming is a positive force and is infinitely better than being out on the block and so forth.
we have known this since cafe's became big affairs on teh island, but the government doesnt know this and it would be great to also teach the kids about LAN partying and the lot.

It would have been great to use this event to extend our hands to the parents of the up and coming gamers and would be gamers ( i mean both GATT AND TG and any other entity out there),
to educate them about what games are good and bad, teach them about requirements for pc games have them visit local forums for advice on how best to handle their children gaming.

I have been to game stores and electronics stores where parents were attempting to buy games for their kids and were not well enough informed to make good decisions.
And on those numerous occasions i have introduced myself as a member of the gaming community and offered my assistance in choosing titles and reccomending hardware upgrades when neccessary.

Criticism is not a bad thing and funny enough, GATT has, in the past, been bashed for how we as a whole take criticism, and we have made an effort and changed, but now the shoe is on the other foot. Regardless of who is throwing the event, we should be able to express our concerns with out fear.

Offline Xen_spartan-117

• Chunin
  • Chakra -1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.EXTREME.com
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2008, 12:57:52 PM »
but why so much negative feedback? it seems as if you guys WANT the event to fail. Im glad that some of the users and one of the admins are siding on me with it, but your comments made earlier are basically telling others not to go... which heavily confuses me!
Just this once can we all just put aside the bullshit and simply support?

do i really have to blurt it out that if this event will be sucessful one, peopple with money will take it seriously and may take us seriously? good god
on the battlefield,you must learn in the battles that ended in victory or defeat...you must think about if those lives were either spent for a good cause or or wasted

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2008, 12:58:59 PM »
Very well said Crix. Not because its the government throwing the event we should say, oh on weekdays? No problem. Very limited scope of games? Nice job!

Some people may disagree with what I say, which is fine, but dont act like people who are pointing out flaws are "anti gaming". Its just criticism which, I would hope should be welcomed, both good and bad.

Offline Crixx_Creww

• Akatsuki
  • Chakra -12
  • ANBU OF THE HIDDEN VILLAGE FOAK
    • Atari 2600.
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
    • www.crixxcrew.com
  • CPU: Intel Q6600 @3.2 Ghz
  • GPU: Nvidia Xfx geforce 9800GTX+
  • RAM: 8 Gigs Mixed kingston and corsair ddr2
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2008, 03:00:09 PM »
i never said i didnt want people to go, i said i want the event to be done properly, again regardless of who throws it.

I hope you all know that mediocrity is the GOLD STANDARD of Government!!
so if you accept it happily now, they wont be inclined to make it any better.

You have to CHANGE their ways of thinking, so fine, attend, participate, support but dont do so with the mindset that master done gone an dun us good hiyuk hiyuk.

If you wanna be taken seriously, then come serious, from the get go, let them know that they are throwing a mediocre event. Admit that its a good thing that they are showing interest but for future reference they need a wider scope of consultation  to atleast meet the gaming standard and not continue to act below the standard.

Offline New Era Outlaw

• Divides by Zero
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 131
    • PS3, PS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2008, 06:28:05 PM »
Funny how you're missing the point entirely, Crixx.

In any case, I'm imploring everybody in this thread to DROP IT. As in, RIGHT NOW.

It's your right to like what's happening at the event or not, but I don't personally like where this thread is heading.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 06:31:52 PM by New_Era_Outlaw »

Carigamers

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2008, 06:28:05 PM »

* ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Crimson609: yea everything cool how are you?
    August 10, 2022, 07:26:15 AM
  • Pain_Killer: Good day, what's going on with you guys? Is everything Ok?
    February 21, 2021, 05:30:10 PM
  • Crimson609: BOOM covid-19
    August 15, 2020, 01:07:30 PM
  • Shinsoo: bwda 2020 shoutboxing. omg we are in the future and in the past at the same time!
    March 03, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
  • TriniXjin: Watch Black Clover Everyone!
    February 01, 2020, 06:30:00 PM
  • Crimson609: lol
    February 01, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
  • Skitz: So fellas how we go include listing for all dem parts for pc on we profile but doh have any place for motherboard?
    January 24, 2020, 09:11:33 PM
  • Crimson609: :ph34r:
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:28 PM
  • Crimson609: Big up ya whole slef
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:17 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like Link
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:14 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Kitana
    January 20, 2019, 09:22:39 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Chappy
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:53 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul Like Minato
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:48 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like XJin
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:53 PM
  • protomanex: Shout out to man like Crimson
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:44 PM
  • Crimson609: shout out to gyal like Corbie Gonta
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:06 PM
  • cold_187: Why allur don't make a discord or something?
    December 03, 2018, 06:17:38 PM
  • Red Paradox: https://www.twitch.tv/flippay1985 everyday from 6:00pm
    May 29, 2018, 09:40:09 AM
  • Red Paradox: anyone play EA Sports UFC 3.. Looking for a challenge. PSN: Flippay1985 :)
    May 09, 2018, 11:00:52 PM
  • cold_187: @TriniXjin not really, I may have something they need (ssd/ram/mb etc.), hence why I also said "trade" ;)
    February 05, 2018, 10:22:14 AM

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal