Author Topic: Oh HELL no...**** you Sony  (Read 4447 times)

Offline Exar_Kun

• Jonin
  • Chakra 22
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Oh HELL no...**** you Sony
« on: October 21, 2008, 12:17:47 PM »
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6199672.html

While it has yet to be seen if the PlayStation Network is ready to handle the traffic that will accompany next week's launch of Little Big Planet and its sharing tools for user-generated content, Sony Computer Entertainment America has made sure its online service is ready to go from a legal standpoint.

Last week SCEA sent out amendments to its PlayStation Network terms of service and user agreement. PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Portable users will need to agree to the new rules if they want to play their games online, participate in Home, buy games from the PlayStation Store, subscribe to a game, or download a patch or other game update.

The amendments include a number of eyebrow-raising new provisions dealing with player privacy and user-created content. Under the "Code of Conduct" section, SCEA added a provision that players can't tell anyone their real names or "any other personally identifying information." The rule also applies to names of other people or businesses.

And while gamers can't go spreading their names around, the user agreement stats that Sony can share gamers' personal information with third parties "for the purpose of providing... access to PSN content." It does not specify if that content includes advertising as well as games, movies, and other downloadable offerings.

The code of conduct also now specifies that anyone who uses PSN gives SCEA "express consent to monitor and record" their activities, and that the company may do so as it sees fit. And while the terms state that SCEA can turn over user information like an Online ID and IP address to "the appropriate authorities," they also state there is no requirement or expectation that the company monitor or record any activity over the network, and that SCEA can remove content or communication from the service without notifying users.

That's not the only thing SCEA can do without notification (or consequence) under the new agreement.

"Some content may be provided automatically without notice when you sign into PSN," the agreement reads. "Such content may include automatic updates or upgrades which may change your current operating system, cause a loss of data or content or cause a loss of functionalities or utilities. You authorize SCEA to provide such content and agree that SCEA shall not be liable for any damages arising from provision of such content or maintenance services. It is recommended that you regularly back up any data located on the hard disk that is of a type that can be backed up."

Finally, SCEA added a new section on "user material and information" that allows the company to provide "others" with information about users' communication and gameplay over PSN. Further, the company can distribute or publish that information "for any legitimate business purpose" without payment to the users. The example given is for tournaments or ranking purposes.

The section also deals more directly with users' creations, which presumably includes everything from custom-made levels in Little Big Planet to songs penned using the Guitar Hero World Tour studio mode.

"To the extent permitted by law, you authorize and license SCEA a royalty free and perpetual right to use, distribute, copy, modify, display, and publish your User Material for any reason without any restrictions or payments to you or any third parties," the agreement states. "You further agree that SCEA may sublicense its rights to any third party, including its affiliates and subsidiaries. You hereby waive all claims, including any moral rights, against SCEA, its affiliates and subsidiaries for SCEA or any other third party's use of User Material to the extent permitted by applicable law."

Representatives with Sony did not return GameSpot's request for comment.

Just on principle, if I'm going to be doing any online gaming later this year it's gonna be with an XBL membership.
Sony can go to hell with an attitude like that.

Carigamers

Oh HELL no...**** you Sony
« on: October 21, 2008, 12:17:47 PM »

Offline Redlum08

• Global Moderator
  • Sannin
  • Chakra 10
    • Xbox One, Wii U, Xbox 360, Wii, 3DS XL
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 720QM
  • GPU: nVidia GeForce GTS360M VRAM 1 GB
  • RAM: 6 GB 1066Mhz
  • Broadband: Wideband - Time Warner Cable New York 50Mbps Download and 5Mbps Upload
  • Origin ID: RedlumTT
  • PSN: RedlumTT
  • XBL: RedlumTT
Re: Oh HELL no...**** you Sony
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 12:27:42 PM »
O_o, Ummmm....you can create games for the Xbox 360 and GET PAID!!! Good going Sony...steal your customer base ideas and blatently refuse to compensate them....NICE!! Once again Sony shows its true greedy colors..I won't be surprised if they start charging soon for online play as well...Xbox Live FTW!!

Offline Fkacn_tt

• Global Moderator
  • Kage
  • Chakra 0
    • PS3,PsP, Dead PS2
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
  • CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
  • GPU: XFX 4850 512mb
  • RAM: 2 GB PC 6400
  • Broadband: Flow
  • PSN: r_guy007
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 12:34:01 PM »
i doubt you read the agreement whenever you install software, so what is the big deal here, my soul probably been taken already cause i don't read them either.
" border="0

Offline Eroo

• Kage
  • Chakra 35
    • PSX,PS2,PSP,PS3,PS4
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel i7 5820k
  • GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 980 Ti
  • RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4
  • Broadband: Flow/Blink
  • PSN: David_Crockett
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 02:24:48 PM »
Really dont see it as a big deal, at least to me.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 02:31:54 PM by Eroo »

Offline phoenix31tt

• Kage
  • Chakra -2
    • PS3
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz
  • GPU: Sapphire 5970
  • RAM: 12GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
  • PSN: phoenix_31tt
  • XBL: phoenix31tt
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 02:35:11 PM »
i doubt you read the agreement whenever you install software, so what is the big deal here, my soul probably been taken already cause i don't read them either.

yup... it wont affect their customers because customers dont read it anyway...

Carigamers

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 02:35:11 PM »

Offline Exar_Kun

• Jonin
  • Chakra 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 03:14:01 PM »

Well how bout this, if they drop an update onto your system that you never consented to and it bricks your system (this has happened either to PS3 or 360, don't recall which), basically they have the right to tell you "hard luck, buy ah nex one nah".
Ya f'real, what anybody complainin about?

Offline Nephilim

• Sannin
  • Chakra 56
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Q94
  • GPU: 4870
  • RAM: 8GB
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 03:15:14 PM »
I don't own a console but I understand what the uproar is about.

It's quite similar to when you work with large industries. If you discover/develop something while using their facilities or hell by just BEING there. It becomes theirs and you have no right to it. Pat on back -> move on. I know for certain a number of companies in Pt. Lisas do this. And they say it in a much clearer way than this.

To the extent permitted by law, you authorize and license SCEA a royalty free and perpetual right to use, distribute, copy, modify, display, and publish your User Material for any reason without any restrictions or payments to you or any third parties," the agreement states. "You further agree that SCEA may sublicense its rights to any third party, including its affiliates and subsidiaries. You hereby waive all claims, including any moral rights, against SCEA, its affiliates and subsidiaries for SCEA or any other third party's use of User Material to the extent permitted by applicable law."

THAT is what the 'big deal' is about. They are saying ANY content developed for their hardware (system) becomes theirs at their whim, and you can't do jack about it. THIS is what stops ppl from wanting to explore and discover. All your hard work belongs to someone else and they can profit from it. not you.

We ALL bash Microsoft at one point or another, but at least they facilitating development on their console and like Redlum08 said you can sell it(scroll down or search 'sell') They make money by providing the seller a service and a way to advertise and reach an audience with a product (via XBL/XNA accounts), much like how amazon makes money buy providing a directory service of various e-tailers.

Is like buying a car and being told that driving any where but to work and back, painting it a different color, putting rims, replacing the stereo etc. void your warranty. You pay for something you should be able to use it as you please within a reasonable margin wrt the manu and not have to pay a testicle.

we all acquire games, this ain't bothering that. But this goes beyond just playing game. Is about consumer rights, and how far will companies be allowed to go to protect their properties.

Will you just buy something and then NOT take the time to know exactly what you pay money for?

I eh no rich man, and i doh buy alot ah games, but i STILL buy SOME.
so i will make it my business to know exactly what i am allowed to do and prohibited from doing as per the manu ToS/A. If it say i could make one digital back up/copy then hells yes i exercising that right. If it tell me hmmc, well i pay for it and i should know to do research before i just buy something willy nilly.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 03:17:34 PM by Nephilim »

Offline Redlum08

• Global Moderator
  • Sannin
  • Chakra 10
    • Xbox One, Wii U, Xbox 360, Wii, 3DS XL
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 720QM
  • GPU: nVidia GeForce GTS360M VRAM 1 GB
  • RAM: 6 GB 1066Mhz
  • Broadband: Wideband - Time Warner Cable New York 50Mbps Download and 5Mbps Upload
  • Origin ID: RedlumTT
  • PSN: RedlumTT
  • XBL: RedlumTT
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 04:25:19 PM »

Well look a man who already sold his soul to Sony....

Offline Fkacn_tt

• Global Moderator
  • Kage
  • Chakra 0
    • PS3,PsP, Dead PS2
    • View Profile
  • CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
  • GPU: XFX 4850 512mb
  • RAM: 2 GB PC 6400
  • PSN: r_guy007
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 09:11:24 PM »
redlum you fully read the uela for microsoft bet they almost the same, so your soul in B.G. pocket to
" border="0

Offline Arcmanov

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 126
  • Gamer/Enthusiast
    • :n64: :gcn: :dreamcast: :xbox360: :computer:
    • View Profile
    • Arcmanov's rig
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.3 GHz
  • GPU: 2 x [Gigabyte] GeForce GTX 1070
  • RAM: 4 x 8GB G.Skill.TridentZ RGB DDR4-2400
  • Broadband: :flow:
  • MBL: LG V20
  • Origin ID: Arcmanov
  • PSN: Arcmanov
  • Steam: Arcmanov
  • XBL: Arcmanov
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 09:40:12 PM »
Yes, and this type of attitude is what allows big companies to get away with the bulls#!t.

I will never hate on the 'acquirements' scene.  I just want to play the damn games,
not get caught up in all this legal f@#kery about when and how I could play it.
Systems United Navy - Accipiens ad Astra

Offline Lelouch

• Genin
  • Chakra -1
    • PS2, PS3, PC
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Centrino 2 2.4GHZ
  • GPU: ATI Mobility HD 3750
  • RAM: 4
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 10:13:26 PM »
No biggie. Hell Google does werse to our those with privacy rights. Sony is moving in the direction all great tyrants (google) go. Eh, still meh some Sony. XBL can go sukk mi MONTHLY MMO subscription biatches!

Carigamers

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 10:13:26 PM »

* ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Crimson609: yea everything cool how are you?
    August 10, 2022, 07:26:15 AM
  • Pain_Killer: Good day, what's going on with you guys? Is everything Ok?
    February 21, 2021, 05:30:10 PM
  • Crimson609: BOOM covid-19
    August 15, 2020, 01:07:30 PM
  • Shinsoo: bwda 2020 shoutboxing. omg we are in the future and in the past at the same time!
    March 03, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
  • TriniXjin: Watch Black Clover Everyone!
    February 01, 2020, 06:30:00 PM
  • Crimson609: lol
    February 01, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
  • Skitz: So fellas how we go include listing for all dem parts for pc on we profile but doh have any place for motherboard?
    January 24, 2020, 09:11:33 PM
  • Crimson609: :ph34r:
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:28 PM
  • Crimson609: Big up ya whole slef
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:17 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like Link
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:14 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Kitana
    January 20, 2019, 09:22:39 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Chappy
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:53 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul Like Minato
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:48 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like XJin
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:53 PM
  • protomanex: Shout out to man like Crimson
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:44 PM
  • Crimson609: shout out to gyal like Corbie Gonta
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:06 PM
  • cold_187: Why allur don't make a discord or something?
    December 03, 2018, 06:17:38 PM
  • Red Paradox: https://www.twitch.tv/flippay1985 everyday from 6:00pm
    May 29, 2018, 09:40:09 AM
  • Red Paradox: anyone play EA Sports UFC 3.. Looking for a challenge. PSN: Flippay1985 :)
    May 09, 2018, 11:00:52 PM
  • cold_187: @TriniXjin not really, I may have something they need (ssd/ram/mb etc.), hence why I also said "trade" ;)
    February 05, 2018, 10:22:14 AM

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal