Author Topic: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2  (Read 280473 times)

Offline Arcmanov

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 126
  • Gamer/Enthusiast
    • :n64: :gcn: :dreamcast: :xbox360: :computer:
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcmanov's rig
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.3 GHz
  • GPU: 2 x [Gigabyte] GeForce GTX 1070
  • RAM: 4 x 8GB G.Skill.TridentZ RGB DDR4-2400
  • Broadband: :flow:
  • MBL: LG V20
  • Origin ID: Arcmanov
  • PSN: Arcmanov
  • Steam: Arcmanov
  • XBL: Arcmanov
Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
« Reply #1120 on: December 04, 2009, 01:16:54 PM »
Quote from: Arcmanov
too many posts to click quote on

<__< >__>

:laughing7:

I too busy with Bad Company 2, COD4, and Battlefield 2/2142 to be sour.
You know...the whole 'dedicated server' thing nah.

...but thanks for your concern though. :)
Systems United Navy - Accipiens ad Astra

Carigamers

« Reply #1120 on: December 04, 2009, 01:16:54 PM »

Offline woodyear99

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 113
    • PS3, Wii
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Q6600
  • RAM: 4 Gigabytes
  • Broadband: Flow
  • PSN: wodyer
« Reply #1121 on: December 04, 2009, 01:22:02 PM »
Microsoft: difference between cheat, exploit? None. Banned!

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/12/microsoft-difference-between-cheat-exploit-none-banned.ars

Microsoft has begun issuing temporary bans to players taking advantage of an exploit in Modern Warfare 2, while Infinity Ward works on a patch to fix the issue. While the servers may be kept slightly cleaner for the efforts, the amount of control Microsoft holds over owners of their consoles, and the arbitrary way they are able to wield it, is troubling.

Stephen Toulouse is the Director of Policy and Enforcement of Xbox Live. When a gamer (or many gamers) need to be banned, his job is to find them and cut off Xbox Live access to their machines. The latest group to get his attention? Gamers using an exploit in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 to increase their kill count.

First it was piracy leading to mass bannings, and now Microsoft is tasked with keeping the Modern Warfare 2 servers clean while Infinity Ward works on a patch. We're going to explore what gamers are doing, and why this is a somewhat unsettling precedent for consoles.

What's going on?

The issue in question is called the Javelin Exploit, and it allows players to detonate a grenade instantly upon death. Here's a video detailing the glitch, if you'd like to know exactly what's happening on the servers and what it looks like.

"While IW works on getting the MW2 glitch fixed, people we catch using it will recieve suspensions from LIVE. Play fair everyone," Toulouse said via Twitter. He also noted that this policy isn't anything new, and that it's in place for more games than just Modern Warfare 2. If you get caught taking advantage of the exploit, you'll be banned for 24 hours. If you're a particularly bad case, the banning could last up to two weeks.

The ban isn't for Modern Warfare 2, it's for the entirety of Xbox Live. If you're banned, no new content for you. No playing online... in anything. Major Nelson posted the details on his blog: "Keep in mind, this isn't just a ban on a particular game. This is a ban on the Xbox Live service as a whole, so you won't be able to go online at all during your ban. Initially, you may be banned for a day, a week, or depending on severity, permanently! Kiss that $50 goodbye," he wrote.

The troubling aspect about the case of Modern Warfare 2 is that no one is changing the code in the game and no rules are being broken. They're simply taking advantage of the behavior of two particular weapons when used in a certain way. From Microsoft's side of things, that's cutting the hair too fine: if you find a glitch and use it in the game, that's cheating.

Toulouse responded to criticism with a slightly tortured metaphor. "Wow, some of you think cheating a glitch is OK. Um. If I install my car stereo wrong and it disables my door locks, its not ok to STEAL MY CAR," he posted. Somehow I doubt cops are out there comparing car theft to grenade kills to Modern Warfare 2, but we'll let it slide. Using a glitch or a bug to gain advantage is against the Terms of Service, and defining glitches, bugs, and that advantage is solely up to Microsoft.

You're playing on their playground

In many ways, the Xbox 360 is Xbox Live. It's nearly impossible to separate the hardware from the service. Without Xbox Live there are no game patches, you can't grab demos of upcoming games, you can't play online. Banned consoles have begun to show up on sites like eBay and Craigslist, and there is a risk of unexpectedly picking one up when you buy used from retailers like GameStop. One pirate I spoke to told me he simply kept two systems: one for Xbox Live, and one for downloaded games. I told him that's an expensive set up, and he shrugged. It's cheaper than buying new games, he replied. When a system is banned, the hardware itself carries the stigma; you can't buy a new subscription, you can't swap out the hard drive. For most users, the system is basically dead.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation wrote about these bans, noting the power that Microsoft holds over gamers. If you break the Terms of Service, Microsoft can render your hardware unable to use its online service, which it has made nearly necessary for playing Xbox 360 games and taking advantage of the system's features. Bannings are the sole discretion of Microsoft, and there isn't much you can do about it once it has happened to you, short of buying a new piece of hardware.

"Of course, these 'absolute power to terminate' clauses are in no way unique to the Xbox Live TOS. While the mass ban provides a useful illustration of their danger, these terms can be found in nearly all TOS agreement for all kinds of services," EFF Adjunct Attorney Ed Bayley wrote. "There have been virtually no legal challenges to these kinds of arbitrary termination clauses, but we imagine this will be a growth area for lawyers."

Where does this leave us?

Sony stated that it won't be banning anyone over cheating in Modern Warfare 2, but with Infinity Ward controlling all the servers for the game on the PC side of things, bans have been handed down for cheating there, as well. With dedicated servers there was no way for a company to stop you from playing the game, but the closed nature of IWNet means the developer and publisher control your ability to play the game online.

No one is going to defend cheating, but glitches, exploits, and bugs have long found their way into strategy and helped to move gaming forward. Would rocket jumpers have been banned from Xbox Live? If Valve shut down dedicated servers and sought to control every aspect of their games, would there have been Counter Strike? The control Microsoft exerts over Xbox Live, and its ability to block your access to online play remotely, and without appeal, means that you'll be playing the games how they want.

In the meantime, Toulouse has some advice in his Twitter profile: "Be pure. Be vigilant. Behave!"

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 3770
  • GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070
  • RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR3 2166MHz
  • Broadband: FLOW
  • Steam: W1nTry
  • XBL: W1nTry
« Reply #1122 on: December 04, 2009, 01:42:14 PM »
I have no problems with this, BAN DE @$$. If you glitch once to try it, even do it in a private match, that's all well and good. Playing in online matches against total strangers who trying to enjoy the game fairly, F^&K YOU. Thing is, imho the human race as a WHOLE is not mature enough to regulate itself, meaning if left to our base desires and own devices we abuse each other, kill each other, steal from each other. This permeates to all levels of human behaviour, from literally stealing your neighbour food to stealing kills in a game. Without a controlling body we'd all be reduces to chaos.

SO I say again BAN THEM without mercy. :p

PSN has taken a noble stance, but then as was pointed out, you don't PAY to play on PSN, so it would be a pretty ineffective solution.

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • :ps3::wii::xbox360:
  • Referrals: 35
    • View Profile
    • http://www.carigamers.com
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
  • GPU: Geforce GTX 680 2GB
  • RAM: 16GB
  • MBL: Nexus 5x
  • PSN: TriniXaeno
  • XBL: TriniXaeno
« Reply #1123 on: December 06, 2009, 04:07:10 AM »
Guess what I just unlocked?

Those who know the song, feel free to sing along:

<reggae beat>

Let me give you some..........

</reggae beat>

lol

Offline ViCe

• Sannin
  • Chakra -68
  • twitter.com/MrViCe_TT
    • PS4
    • View Profile
    • SyNergy Gaming
  • Broadband: Flow 100Mbps
  • PSN: ViCe-_-KaRTeL
  • XBL: ViCe DaVinci
« Reply #1124 on: December 06, 2009, 07:17:22 AM »
^ lol u must really like d p90

Carigamers

« Reply #1124 on: December 06, 2009, 07:17:22 AM »

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
  • CPU: i5 3470
  • GPU: GTX 780
  • RAM: 8GB Corsair
  • Broadband: Blink 2Mb + Flow 20Mb
« Reply #1125 on: December 06, 2009, 07:35:55 AM »
I used the p90 almost exclusively in cod4 and got so many kills using it, i simply cant use it again.

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: December 06, 2009, 09:57:29 AM »
I can't get enough of it. Now you can dual wield P90s. Double the pleasure, double the fun.

* Wyatt is in heaven

Offline Nephilim

• Sannin
  • Chakra 56
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Q94
  • GPU: 4870
  • RAM: 8GB
« Reply #1127 on: December 06, 2009, 10:08:37 AM »
what other builds y'all using?

PS
and doh give meh no copypasta, let meh hear what works for you
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 10:13:39 AM by Nephilim »

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: December 06, 2009, 10:26:32 AM »
You know funny enough I never cared much for the P90... XD M16, Scorpion, LMGs..

Offline Berzerk

• Akatsuki
  • Chakra 103
    • :WIIU: :XBOX ONE:  :3DS:
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core I7 2600K (Stock)
  • GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970 4 Gig
  • RAM: 8 GB DDR 3 Corsair Vengeance 1333 Ram
  • BattleNet ID: berserkiymc
  • Origin ID: berzerker28
  • PSN: BerserkIymc
  • Steam: berzerk880
  • XBL: berserkiymc
« Reply #1129 on: December 06, 2009, 10:41:15 AM »
currently using the acr with heartbeat sensor, and holographic sights

Offline Agokillya

• Global Moderator
  • Jonin
  • Chakra -3
    • XBOX 360, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3, XBOX One
    • View Profile
  • PSN: Agokillya
  • XBL: Agokillya
« Reply #1130 on: December 06, 2009, 11:02:38 AM »
The AUG HBAR with d kung fu grip is my weapon of choice. A personal favourite is also the FAL assault rifle with red dot sight. I tend to choose weapons that i know other people are gonna find hard to use, especially if they try to copycat.

www.modernwarfare247.com

Great web site. check it out.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 11:57:30 AM by Agokillya »

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: December 06, 2009, 12:23:37 PM »
The AUG HBAR with d kung fu grip is my weapon of choice. A personal favourite is also the FAL assault rifle with red dot sight. I tend to choose weapons that i know other people are gonna find hard to use, especially if they try to copycat.

Yeah the FAL is like the G3 from MW, I like it and I doh need no DAMN modded or after market controller to use it like a fully/semi auto. My days of Track & Field on the NES assured that many many many moons ago XD

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: December 06, 2009, 12:38:18 PM »
lol @ kung fu grip

this game just getting sweeter and sweeter yes.

Offline woodyear99

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 113
    • PS3, Wii
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: December 06, 2009, 12:43:59 PM »

Yeah the FAL is like the G3 from MW, I like it and I doh need no DAMN modded or after market controller to use it like a fully/semi auto. My days of Track & Field on the NES assured that many many many moons ago XD

Aren't those rapid fire controllers banned on Live?

Offline Nephilim

• Sannin
  • Chakra 56
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Q94
  • GPU: 4870
  • RAM: 8GB
« Reply #1134 on: December 06, 2009, 01:51:44 PM »
it hard to detect some of them i bet, if you have a man firing 1 bullet a second all the time consistently it more than likely he  has teh moddzorz

the auto hit if done right and with a proper timer (555 maybe an arduino controller)  to randomize the timings might escape but eventually the pattern gets picked up on

i run the m16 it get a nice bump this time around
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 01:53:27 PM by Nephilim »

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: December 07, 2009, 04:04:14 PM »
Again I eh need no damn modded controller to pump 3+ rounds into ur skull a second XD

Offline Arcmanov

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 126
  • Gamer/Enthusiast
    • :n64: :gcn: :dreamcast: :xbox360: :computer:
    • View Profile
    • Arcmanov's rig
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.3 GHz
  • GPU: 2 x [Gigabyte] GeForce GTX 1070
  • RAM: 4 x 8GB G.Skill.TridentZ RGB DDR4-2400
  • MBL: LG V20
  • Origin ID: Arcmanov
  • PSN: Arcmanov
  • Steam: Arcmanov
  • XBL: Arcmanov
« Reply #1136 on: December 07, 2009, 08:17:59 PM »
PC players...consider the implications of these two articles...

http://www.modernwarfail2.com/2009/12/03/iwnet-forces-most-mw2-players-to-violate-their-isp%c2%b4s-tos-aup/

http://www.modernwarfail2.com/2009/12/08/mw2-gamer-thanks-for-getting-me-in-trouble-infinity-ward/

Not sure what TSTT's TOS says regarding this, but I think its something worth considering.
Systems United Navy - Accipiens ad Astra

Offline Redlum08

• Global Moderator
  • Sannin
  • Chakra 10
    • Xbox One, Wii U, Xbox 360, Wii, 3DS XL
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 720QM
  • GPU: nVidia GeForce GTS360M VRAM 1 GB
  • RAM: 6 GB 1066Mhz
  • Broadband: Wideband - Time Warner Cable New York 50Mbps Download and 5Mbps Upload
  • Origin ID: RedlumTT
  • PSN: RedlumTT
  • XBL: RedlumTT
« Reply #1137 on: December 07, 2009, 08:23:29 PM »
PC players...consider the implications of these two articles...

http://www.modernwarfail2.com/2009/12/03/iwnet-forces-most-mw2-players-to-violate-their-isp%c2%b4s-tos-aup/

http://www.modernwarfail2.com/2009/12/08/mw2-gamer-thanks-for-getting-me-in-trouble-infinity-ward/

Not sure what TSTT's TOS says regarding this, but I think its something worth considering.

So does this also apply to Xbox Live and PS3?...........

Offline woodyear99

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 113
    • PS3, Wii
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: December 07, 2009, 08:24:01 PM »
I don't think this is relevant for us in Trinidad, with the majority of users on heavy p2p like bittorrent, the amount of bandwidth from IWnet is significantly less.

Isn't this what many console games have been using for the past few years? I wonder if console players have gotten similar letters on US Isps.  

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: December 07, 2009, 09:50:06 PM »

I don't think this is relevant for us in Trinidad, with the majority of users on heavy p2p like bittorrent, the amount of bandwidth from IWnet is significantly less.

Isn't this what many console games have been using for the past few years? I wonder if console players have gotten similar letters on US Isps. 

This is the catch, ppl have been playing consoles for years and using P2P. Now admittantly in many cases P2P activity is not of the legal kind and you are effectively part of a distributed server. Also EVERY Xbox LIVE game from INCEPTION required a player to act as host (Red will correct me if i'm wrong) so that being said this article and person is REALLY REALLY LATE TO THE GAME and whilst it raises and interesting point, WHY hasn't this been a major problem in the past?

I find it too COINCIDENTAL that with so many unhappy PC MW fans that such an article would NOW surface. I'm not saying it isn't truth, i'm saying had he had his way he'd have been happy still playing his Xbox and using P2P thereby violating said TOS and not said $HIT. And if that be the case we should ALL be trying to SUE MS.

Carigamers

« Reply #1139 on: December 07, 2009, 09:50:06 PM »

* ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Crimson609: yea everything cool how are you?
    August 10, 2022, 07:26:15 AM
  • Pain_Killer: Good day, what's going on with you guys? Is everything Ok?
    February 21, 2021, 05:30:10 PM
  • Crimson609: BOOM covid-19
    August 15, 2020, 01:07:30 PM
  • Shinsoo: bwda 2020 shoutboxing. omg we are in the future and in the past at the same time!
    March 03, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
  • TriniXjin: Watch Black Clover Everyone!
    February 01, 2020, 06:30:00 PM
  • Crimson609: lol
    February 01, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
  • Skitz: So fellas how we go include listing for all dem parts for pc on we profile but doh have any place for motherboard?
    January 24, 2020, 09:11:33 PM
  • Crimson609: :ph34r:
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:28 PM
  • Crimson609: Big up ya whole slef
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:17 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like Link
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:14 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Kitana
    January 20, 2019, 09:22:39 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Chappy
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:53 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul Like Minato
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:48 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like XJin
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:53 PM
  • protomanex: Shout out to man like Crimson
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:44 PM
  • Crimson609: shout out to gyal like Corbie Gonta
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:06 PM
  • cold_187: Why allur don't make a discord or something?
    December 03, 2018, 06:17:38 PM
  • Red Paradox: https://www.twitch.tv/flippay1985 everyday from 6:00pm
    May 29, 2018, 09:40:09 AM
  • Red Paradox: anyone play EA Sports UFC 3.. Looking for a challenge. PSN: Flippay1985 :)
    May 09, 2018, 11:00:52 PM
  • cold_187: @TriniXjin not really, I may have something they need (ssd/ram/mb etc.), hence why I also said "trade" ;)
    February 05, 2018, 10:22:14 AM

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal