Author Topic: The Definitive Anime Recommendation Thread!  (Read 147169 times)

Offline Q

• Kage
  • Chakra 33
  • The Badass Leader of Team Trini Dai-Gurren
    • SEGA Master System, NES, GB, GBA, PS3
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • Team Trini Dai-Gurren
Re: The Definitive Anime Recommendation Thread!
« Reply #120 on: October 19, 2010, 12:31:36 AM »
That Robot Wars one... WOW.

I always wondered what it would look like if a Gundam did a Shoryuken... I got an answer within the first 5 minutes. DAMN, hoss.

HEY... Just who the HELL do you think I am?

Rest In Pixels, bitches.

Carigamers

« Reply #120 on: October 19, 2010, 12:31:36 AM »

Offline rassmatic

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 87
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K
  • GPU: 2 x EVGA GTX 980s
  • RAM: 16GB DDR4-3000
  • BattleNet ID: rassmatic#1769
  • Broadband:
  • Origin ID: rassmatic
  • Steam: rassmatic
« Reply #121 on: October 28, 2010, 08:11:53 PM »
Blassreiter was o.k. nothing to write home about, I was expecting a much more climatic ending... that being said, it's a decent series. The other one... not my genre..

Blassreiter was pretty dang good IMO. Definitely wasn't just ok. the action was what made the series good. but i hadda admit, the ending was indeed anticlimactic. they could have done a lot more with it.

Offline Shinsoo

• Global Moderator
  • Chunin
  • Chakra 0
  • Let me show you what it means to love.
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 04, 2010, 06:59:08 AM »
Hey guys if any of you are tales of symphonia fans there is a new season out that looks pretty good. Even if ur not or a light fan like me, it feels like going from naruto to naruto ship. you can watch it here. It gives a good recap/re explanation of the previous story so u wont be lost.

http://www.animefreak.tv/watch/tales-symphonia-tethealla-hen-episode-1-online

i watched a handful of the first season but it didnt hold my attention at the time cuz i was into fairy tale. But it definitely has some bess fights in between and a decent story line. anyways this season looks a bit epic. take a look

first 9 mins of first episode. Decent fight after 4 mins (increase the quality btw)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 07:03:00 AM by HERO »

Offline Shinsoo

• Global Moderator
  • Chunin
  • Chakra 0
  • Let me show you what it means to love.
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 26, 2010, 07:33:29 PM »
(hope im not late) Great anime named Angel Beats! xD check it out

Offline AR!Ø

• Kage
  • Chakra 12
  • Mai
    • PS3 - WiiU - GC
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k @ 3.40ghz
  • GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 690 by ASUS
  • RAM: 8 GB @ 1600Mhz Kingston HyperX Beast
  • Origin ID: ariormtr
  • PSN: ario0787
  • Steam: ario0787
« Reply #124 on: November 30, 2010, 08:54:19 PM »
I Second Angel Beats, and offer Bakemonogatari and Seitokai Yakuindomo

Carigamers

« Reply #124 on: November 30, 2010, 08:54:19 PM »

Offline Red Paradox

• AdvancedTactics
  • Sannin
  • Chakra 18
  • life on the edge
    • PS4
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/red.paradox
  • CPU: Intel Boxed Core I7-6700K 4.00 GHz 8M Processor
  • GPU: ASUS DUAL RTX 2060 Overclocked 6G VR Ready Gaming Graphics Card – Turing Architecture
  • RAM: HyperX FURY Black 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 2133MHz DDR4
  • BattleNet ID: flip85#1750
  • MBL: Honor 10
  • Origin ID: 85FLiP
  • PSN: Flippay1985
  • Steam: FLiP
« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2011, 02:01:13 PM »
someone recommended Sword of the Stranger to me
and I know I'm late but jeez an ages
I have never scene epic sword battles like this since Star Wars lol

check it out if you all are late like me lol
which I doubt

and if there are more anime like this gatters (with the similar level of epic sword duels) hook up a brother with recommendations  :lol:

Offline WarOne

• AdvancedTactics
  • Chunin
  • Chakra 21
  • Last game... maybe three more.
    • Xbox 360
    • View Profile
  • CPU: AMD Phenom 8650 Triple-Core Processor @ 2.30 GHz
  • GPU: Ati Radeon 4870HD 1GB DDR5 MacGuyver Edition
  • RAM: 2GB Ballistix DDR2 PC2-6400
  • Broadband: Blink Broadband 4mbit
  • XBL: Masuda9
« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2011, 02:56:16 PM »
someone recommended Sword of the Stranger to me
and I know I'm late but jeez an ages
I have never scene epic sword battles like this since Star Wars lol

check it out if you all are late like me lol
which I doubt

and if there are more anime like this gatters (with the similar level of epic sword duels) hook up a brother with recommendations  :lol:

Lol my bad, my bad actually have this on my hdd and was supposed to put a post here in the Anime Suggestion Thread about it but forgot it with all the Bad Company 2 rotting my brain.

A great Samurai anime with lots of head rolling, crazy glue reattaching limb goodness is, Shigurui: Death Frenzy.  If someone already made a post about this please ignore but if you have never heard of this show give it a try you will enjoy it.

Offline Arcmanov

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 126
  • Gamer/Enthusiast
    • :n64: :gcn: :dreamcast: :xbox360: :computer:
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcmanov's rig
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.3 GHz
  • GPU: 2 x [Gigabyte] GeForce GTX 1070
  • RAM: 4 x 8GB G.Skill.TridentZ RGB DDR4-2400
  • Broadband: :flow:
  • MBL: LG V20
  • Origin ID: Arcmanov
  • PSN: Arcmanov
  • Steam: Arcmanov
  • XBL: Arcmanov
« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2011, 03:16:49 PM »
Yep...the final battle worth the price of admission alone.  There are VERY few sword/samurai-based feature-length (anime) movies that can come close to it (SoTS)...and I really can't think of any at this point.  :lol:
Systems United Navy - Accipiens ad Astra

Offline Red Paradox

• AdvancedTactics
  • Sannin
  • Chakra 18
  • life on the edge
    • PS4
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/red.paradox
  • CPU: Intel Boxed Core I7-6700K 4.00 GHz 8M Processor
  • GPU: ASUS DUAL RTX 2060 Overclocked 6G VR Ready Gaming Graphics Card – Turing Architecture
  • RAM: HyperX FURY Black 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 2133MHz DDR4
  • BattleNet ID: flip85#1750
  • MBL: Honor 10
  • Origin ID: 85FLiP
  • PSN: Flippay1985
  • Steam: FLiP
« Reply #128 on: January 17, 2011, 03:48:42 PM »
i just watch the trailer for Shigurui
it looks very interesting indeed
I'll "acquire" later
but I can't shake the good feeling I got from Sword of the Stranger
that movie was way to epic!

Offline voncho1

• Genin
  • Chakra 0
    • xbox 360 and a wii (can suck my bawls)
    • View Profile
  • CPU: old....
  • BattleNet ID: cant rememberz
  • Broadband: Blink broadband 2mb
  • XBL: vonchoz1
« Reply #129 on: February 18, 2012, 12:38:41 PM »
I recommend watching Eden of the East Also there's CREST OF THE STARS and the following sequel to it BANNER OF THE STARS  and they made a season 2 for LAST EXILE called LAST EXILE: FAM OF THE SILVER WING OR LAST EXILE GINYOKO NO FAM for anyone interested.
The power of voncho cannot be denied.

Offline rassmatic

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 87
    • View Profile
  • Broadband:
« Reply #130 on: August 13, 2012, 03:31:58 PM »
So yeah, I thought it was about time a new thread was made for members to share any worth-wild findings from the anime world. And who better to create such a thread that yours truly :sassy: I mean, I'm guessing there's no-one here who has a bigger series collection me....

Yes, that 591 shows and counting :ko: Anyway, enough of that, lets go on to the recommendations....

Shiki

Sotobamura is a small village with around 1300 inhabitants. It is a village which is connected to not even a single highway. An isolated village in which old customs, such as the burial of the dead, are still practiced. One day, the corpses of 3 persons are found. Although Ozaki Toshio, the village's lone doctor, feels uncertain, he treats the deaths as normal occurrences. However, in the days following, the villagers die one after the other. Is this mere coincidence, an epidemic, or something else entirely?

Absolutely loved this one. Story was intriguing with a HUGE cast of characters. Had me hooked from start to finish. Thinking of watching it again cuz it was that damn good. And the English dub was expertly done FYI, so no need to fear it. lol. Had some scenes of graphic violence and it's definitely a horror themed series, so if you don't mind that, watch it ASAP.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom

In the American underworld, Mafia leaders are being killed one after another, with rumours of “Inferno” and the organisation’s top assasssin “Phantom” circulating around them. A boy, traveling alone in America becomes involved in one of these incidents and unexpectedly encounters Phantom

Another great series with a good storyline. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Guin Saga

"The seal will be broken after many years". In the land of Nospherus, four heroes embark on a patch of destiny that will weave a new legend. The story follows Guin, a powerful swordsman with a leopard head, the adolescent royal twins Remus and Rinda, and the young and ambitious mercenary named Istvan. The Guin Saga is an epic heroic fantasy in the same vein as Robert E. Howard's Conan, the Barbarian. More than a hundred manga books strong, Guin's saga has sold more than twenty-five million copies in Japan.

Epic series.... with one problem. It's incomplete, ending with a pretty big cliffhanger. And apparently the author of the novels it's based on died a while back, so chances are that the series will never be completed. It's definitely still worth a look though. Being incomplete doesn't affect the quality at all. I mean look at Berserk. lol

Offline Archer

• Global Moderator
  • Sannin
  • Chakra 70
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz
  • GPU: Nvidia Geforce 2GB GT540M
  • RAM: 6GB
  • Steam: SirArcher
« Reply #131 on: August 13, 2012, 04:03:36 PM »
Shiki and Phantom on my list as well.

Idk I think it's better for me to highlight my recommendations one by one and you could operate out of here. Also since I just wanna post one or two each more or so it won't be as much as yours I think :D

Plus I like to give attention to each title and starting with my next post I will make it more in depth.

Offline Berzerk

• Akatsuki
  • Chakra 103
    • :WIIU: :XBOX ONE:  :3DS:
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core I7 2600K (Stock)
  • GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970 4 Gig
  • RAM: 8 GB DDR 3 Corsair Vengeance 1333 Ram
  • BattleNet ID: berserkiymc
  • Origin ID: berzerker28
  • PSN: BerserkIymc
  • Steam: berzerk880
  • XBL: berserkiymc
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2012, 04:49:16 PM »
berserk is ongoing via manga and movies making up for time gap eh...just saying.

great work on thread though good stuff. ill go through my collection and make some recommendations myself.

and i need to get access to your hard drive. oui papa yo.

Offline rassmatic

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 87
    • View Profile
  • Broadband:
« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2012, 06:30:26 PM »
@ Archer. Yeah, u can post ur recommendations in separate threads if u want. i didn't want to go that route as I have quite a few shows to post and didn't want to clutter the forum. and once u watch Shiki, tell me what u think. if Another is anything close to it, then it's a winner.

@ Berzerk. I was talk about just the tv series. even though it ended with a cliffhanger so many years ago, ppl still consider it one of the best out of Japan.

Offline Archer

• Global Moderator
  • Sannin
  • Chakra 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2012, 06:53:52 PM »
Yea I would just post the ones that stand out to me separate, I like . Maybe I can put my honorable mentions here lol.

Well on sites I saw Shiki as a recommendation for ppl who liked Another so I'll get back to you on that.

Offline rassmatic

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 87
    • View Profile
  • Broadband:
« Reply #135 on: August 16, 2012, 08:39:46 PM »
3 more recommendations....

Monster

Kenzou Tenma, a Japanese brain surgeon in Germany, had it all: incredible skill at his work, a rich and beautiful fiancee, and a promising career at his hospital. However, after becoming disenchanted by hospital politics, he chose to save the life of a young boy who got shot in the head over the life of the mayor. As a result he lost the support of the hospital director, as well as his position in the hospital and his fiance. A short time later, the hospital director and the doctors that replaced him were murdered, and once again he was catapulted back onto the top. But as the chief suspect of the murders, Tenma did not get a easy life. As a matter of fact, it seems that the boy he saved was much more than he had appeared to be... Now to clear his name and to correct his past mistake, Tenma must get to the bottom of these and other murders, and investigate the truth of the Monster who is behind all of this.

Amazing series with one of the deepest stories I've ever seen in an anime. Not for those with ADD as you need to pay attention to understand and appreciate.

Le Chevalier D'Eon

In the 18th Century, just before the French revolution, multiple religious cults of the dark side were engaged in secret maneuvers under the name of Revolution. "Le Chevalier D`Eon" (Knight D`Eon) a diplomat and a special agent working for Louis XIV, is fighting against those cults, and also on a mission to find the killer of his own sister. A mysterious cult organization called "Rose Cross" stands in his way, using vicious powers to create a dark creature, "Gargoyle" to take over Europe.

Le Chevalier d`Eon, Charles de Beaumont, was a real-life diplomat and spy in 18th century Europe, most famous for being of questionable gender. D`Eon worked as a spy, politician and soldier for King Louis XV for many years, before returning to France during the rule of King Louis XVI. After his return to France he lived and dressed as a woman. It was not until his death that doctors confirmed that he was a man.

Great series with a good mix of action and story. Been meaning to watch this one again, cuz it's that damn good. Highly recommended.

Mushi-Shi

They are neither plants nor animals. They differ from other forms of life such as the micro-organisms and the fungi. Instead they resemble the primeval body of life and are generally known as "Mushi". Their existence and appearance are unknown to many and only a limited number of humans are aware of them. Ginko is a "Mushi-shi" who travels around to investigate and find out more about the "Mushi". In the process, he also lends a helping hand to people who face problems with supernatural occurances which may be related to the "Mushi".

Brilliant series. Been in my top 5 for years. Each episode is a different story in from the travels of the series protagonist Ginko. Every episode is intriguing and skillfully written. Can't recommend this one enough.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 08:42:58 PM by Rage »

Offline TriniXjin

• Global Moderator
  • Genin
  • Chakra -2
    • PS3,Xbox 360 and Wii
  • Referrals: 9
    • View Profile
  • PSN: noobgonewild
  • XBL: noobgonewildTnT
« Reply #136 on: August 16, 2012, 08:53:16 PM »

Amazing series with one of the deepest stories I've ever seen in an anime. Not for those with ADD as you need to pay attention to understand and appreciate.

Yuh harsh boy Rage.

I think we need to establish some categories yes. Shonen, Shojo, Seinen, etc...

lol
"I am the hammer, I am the right hand of the Emperor, the instrument of His will, the gauntlet about His fist, the tip of His spear, the edge of His sword."

Offline Archer

• Global Moderator
  • Sannin
  • Chakra 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 16, 2012, 10:19:08 PM »

Yuh harsh boy Rage.

lol

Would def make things easier but.....those are a lot O_o unless we choose some each to handle. However I don't like burying posts with others. Genre will be included as part of my future posts anyway. I'll stick to single still yes since I cover a range.

Monster is an epic series btw, storytelling-wise.

Offline rassmatic

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 87
    • View Profile
  • Broadband:
« Reply #138 on: August 17, 2012, 01:17:04 AM »
To me, putting each series into categories would require too much work. Plus, I'm not a fan of certain genres, eg Shojo. Hadda come good for me to truly love a series in that group. I rather put all recommendations under one thread rather than having users open a bunch of threads just to read what a show is about. Plus, looking through the forums, I notice that a lot of the single series threads rarely pass 2 posts, unless these really popular. That's just clogging up the forum IMO.

Offline Berzerk

• Akatsuki
  • Chakra 103
    • :WIIU: :XBOX ONE:  :3DS:
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core I7 2600K (Stock)
  • GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970 4 Gig
  • RAM: 8 GB DDR 3 Corsair Vengeance 1333 Ram
  • BattleNet ID: berserkiymc
  • Origin ID: berzerker28
  • PSN: BerserkIymc
  • Steam: berzerk880
  • XBL: berserkiymc
« Reply #139 on: August 17, 2012, 07:18:59 AM »

Yuh harsh boy Rage.

lol

Would def make things easier but.....those are a lot O_o unless we choose some each to handle. However I don't like burying posts with others. Genre will be included as part of my future posts anyway. I'll stick to single still yes since I cover a range.

Monster is an epic series btw, storytelling-wise.

Monster was epic. twists and turns galore. epic storytelling to be had. 10/10 worthy.

Also agree with Rage, this forum kinda cluttered (I think it needs a clean up actually) if anything we could post the genre for each anime when it is recommended, clearly and coherently.

Carigamers

« Reply #139 on: August 17, 2012, 07:18:59 AM »

* ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Crimson609: yea everything cool how are you?
    August 10, 2022, 07:26:15 AM
  • Pain_Killer: Good day, what's going on with you guys? Is everything Ok?
    February 21, 2021, 05:30:10 PM
  • Crimson609: BOOM covid-19
    August 15, 2020, 01:07:30 PM
  • Shinsoo: bwda 2020 shoutboxing. omg we are in the future and in the past at the same time!
    March 03, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
  • TriniXjin: Watch Black Clover Everyone!
    February 01, 2020, 06:30:00 PM
  • Crimson609: lol
    February 01, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
  • Skitz: So fellas how we go include listing for all dem parts for pc on we profile but doh have any place for motherboard?
    January 24, 2020, 09:11:33 PM
  • Crimson609: :ph34r:
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:28 PM
  • Crimson609: Big up ya whole slef
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:17 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like Link
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:14 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Kitana
    January 20, 2019, 09:22:39 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Chappy
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:53 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul Like Minato
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:48 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like XJin
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:53 PM
  • protomanex: Shout out to man like Crimson
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:44 PM
  • Crimson609: shout out to gyal like Corbie Gonta
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:06 PM
  • cold_187: Why allur don't make a discord or something?
    December 03, 2018, 06:17:38 PM
  • Red Paradox: https://www.twitch.tv/flippay1985 everyday from 6:00pm
    May 29, 2018, 09:40:09 AM
  • Red Paradox: anyone play EA Sports UFC 3.. Looking for a challenge. PSN: Flippay1985 :)
    May 09, 2018, 11:00:52 PM
  • cold_187: @TriniXjin not really, I may have something they need (ssd/ram/mb etc.), hence why I also said "trade" ;)
    February 05, 2018, 10:22:14 AM

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal