Author Topic: 5 Exercises Computer Guys should NOT do. All techs and gamers please read :(  (Read 7265 times)

Offline Crixx_Creww

• Akatsuki
  • Chakra -12
  • ANBU OF THE HIDDEN VILLAGE FOAK
    • Atari 2600.
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
    • www.crixxcrew.com
  • CPU: Intel Q6600 @3.2 Ghz
  • GPU: Nvidia Xfx geforce 9800GTX+
  • RAM: 8 Gigs Mixed kingston and corsair ddr2
http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/5-exercises-computer-guy-should-not-be-doing.html
http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/5-more-exercises-computer-guy-should-not-be-doing.html

Life hacker ftw as usual.

IF this advice can stop another great person( aka non noob and gamers) from going through severe back problems like i did, then please please please take a read and make some adjustments.

Also, cant have too much ergonomics advice, so here's some  as well
http://lifehacker.com/5409915/top-10-ergonomic-upgrades-for-your-workspace
http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/pain-and-posture-the-basics.html

Carigamers

Offline Exar_Kun

• Jonin
  • Chakra 22
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Lolwut?

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • :ps3::wii::xbox360:
  • Referrals: 35
    • View Profile
    • http://www.carigamers.com
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
  • GPU: Geforce GTX 680 2GB
  • RAM: 16GB
  • Broadband: :flow:
  • MBL: Nexus 5x
  • PSN: TriniXaeno
  • XBL: TriniXaeno
sh!t, I do everyone that he's listed.

Offline Archer

• Global Moderator
  • Sannin
  • Chakra 70
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz
  • GPU: Nvidia Geforce 2GB GT540M
  • RAM: 6GB
  • Steam: SirArcher
0_0 Wtmc ???

Offline Berzerk

• Akatsuki
  • Chakra 103
    • :WIIU: :XBOX ONE:  :3DS:
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core I7 2600K (Stock)
  • GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970 4 Gig
  • RAM: 8 GB DDR 3 Corsair Vengeance 1333 Ram
  • BattleNet ID: berserkiymc
  • Origin ID: berzerker28
  • PSN: BerserkIymc
  • Steam: berzerk880
  • XBL: berserkiymc
that scary if its true. it would explain a lot though

Carigamers

Offline Exar_Kun

• Jonin
  • Chakra 22
    • View Profile
Personally I wouldn't change jack based on that article. Could be broscience for all you know, I don't see anything scientific in there.

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 3770
  • GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070
  • RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR3 2166MHz
  • Broadband: FLOW
  • Steam: W1nTry
  • XBL: W1nTry
In the first article, I can safely say on advice from a good friend of mine who is an ISSA certified instructor, that Leg extensions AND military press are NOT good for you. He advised me on this long before I even saw this artile. Sit ups is questionable, bench press strikes me as outright garbage and upright rows is plausible.
Leg press... Do I really need to say this is crap? Shrugs is something you MUST be careful with granted, to rule it out though, only in cases of ppl already injured. Loaded back extensions akin to Dead lifts, I would suggest doing dead lifts as opposed to this with weight, esp in case of back injuries. So its plausible. Loaded ab machine, depends on the design of the machine honestly. Bike... I honestly wouldn't know, I rode a bike as a youth and can't STAND the idea of peddling and staying in one place... I hardly EVER use a bike in a gym.

Offline Crixx_Creww

• Akatsuki
  • Chakra -12
    • Atari 2600.
    • View Profile
    • www.crixxcrew.com
Remember, he is speaking about desk jockies who spend hours and hours in one position and probably have some added weight on them.
So they probably have back problems and posture problems and hip problems.
Hes speaking specifically about a group of people that would have inherent muscular and joint issues.
And that forward posture thing is damn true.

Like i said, i posted this so to hopefully help people before they have to go through the back issues i did 2 years ago.

Offline Exar_Kun

• Jonin
  • Chakra 22
    • View Profile
Anyone that told you military press isn't good for you has no idea what they're about. Your comments on bench press are ridiculous as well. Leg presses and extensions are in fact good alternatives for tall individuals who have trouble doing squats. You shouldn't be making such blanket statements in ignorance. Given the fact that the author recommended push ups (push ups?!) as alternatives makes it obvious this article wasn't written for people doing serious training but it would be a tragedy if someone serious read your post and doubted these exercises.

I don't doubt people hurt themselves with either of these exercises, but it certainly isn't the exercise's fault, moreso the idiot who throws away good form for the sake of trying to look 'harder' by doing higher weight than he can handle.

Offline Crixx_Creww

• Akatsuki
  • Chakra -12
    • Atari 2600.
    • View Profile
    • www.crixxcrew.com
you once again not getting the gist of the article, its not targeted at Mr Hardo McHardmatison.
Its targeted at desk jockeys who invariable have poor joints, bad backs, under developed/un toned muscles, who may be trying to get in shape or NEED to get in shape and are trying exercises.

A 400 pound man should NOT try to do 10 seconds 100m sprints as a form of exercise... horrible idea.
So to, over weight out of shape desk jockeys with joint, back and ligament problems with poor posture, should NOT do certain exercises until they are injury free lest they make the situation work.

Exar maybe you are not and have never been afflicted with any of these problems, luck you, but for the rest of us that are and have been, this is stellar advice that i cannot help but endorse coming out of very serious back and leg problems myself.

Oh and trying to do lots of military presses when your muscles lack strength and tone will make your elbows flare out and can easily cause damage to your shoulders and elbows.
Please take into consideration the people that arent fit and well ( the people this article is targeted at)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 08:36:20 AM by Crixx_Creww »

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 3770
  • GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070
  • RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR3 2166MHz
  • Broadband: FLOW
  • Steam: W1nTry
  • XBL: W1nTry
Anyone that told you military press isn't good for you has no idea what they're about. Your comments on bench press are ridiculous as well. Leg presses and extensions are in fact good alternatives for tall individuals who have trouble doing squats. You shouldn't be making such blanket statements in ignorance. Given the fact that the author recommended push ups (push ups?!) as alternatives makes it obvious this article wasn't written for people doing serious training but it would be a tragedy if someone serious read your post and doubted these exercises.

I don't doubt people hurt themselves with either of these exercises, but it certainly isn't the exercise's fault, moreso the idiot who throws away good form for the sake of trying to look 'harder' by doing higher weight than he can handle.
Well since you think anyone who says military press and leg extensions are bad for you are idiots, how'd you like to meet one said person in person to discuss?

Offline Berzerk

• Akatsuki
  • Chakra 103
    • :WIIU: :XBOX ONE:  :3DS:
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core I7 2600K (Stock)
  • GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970 4 Gig
  • RAM: 8 GB DDR 3 Corsair Vengeance 1333 Ram
  • BattleNet ID: berserkiymc
  • Origin ID: berzerker28
  • PSN: BerserkIymc
  • Steam: berzerk880
  • XBL: berserkiymc
you once again not getting the gist of the article, its not targeted at Mr Hardo McHardmatison.
Its targeted at desk jockeys who invariable have poor joints, bad backs, under developed/un toned muscles, who may be trying to get in shape or NEED to get in shape and are trying exercises.

A 400 pound man should NOT try to do 10 seconds 100m sprints as a form of exercise... horrible idea.
So to, over weight out of shape desk jockeys with joint, back and ligament problems with poor posture, should NOT do certain exercises until they are injury free lest they make the situation work.

Exar maybe you are not and have never been afflicted with any of these problems, luck you, but for the rest of us that are and have been, this is stellar advice that i cannot help but endorse coming out of very serious back and leg problems myself.

Oh and trying to do lots of military presses when your muscles lack strength and tone will make your elbows flare out and can easily cause damage to your shoulders and elbows.
Please take into consideration the people that arent fit and well ( the people this article is targeted at)

Gotta agree with crixx here. Even when I was very fit, I got my shoulders and back damaged doing military press, even with proper form and average weight. it was only after following up on my situation i was found to have Scoliosis of the spine which apparently was found throughout my family (pretty acute too).

Id recommend anyone always do requsite research before starting any fitness regime, taking your history and current health circumstances into SERIOUS consideration. Right now I can't even run without having severe debilitaing pain. (and yes that is my fault)
and be wary of many of the fly by night gym instructors in local gyms.

Offline Exar_Kun

• Jonin
  • Chakra 22
    • View Profile
Well since you think anyone who says military press and leg extensions are bad for you are idiots, how'd you like to meet one said person in person to discuss?

I'm sure I never said the word 'idiot' I'm quite certain. And I don't really care to meet anyone, if someone thinks doing loaded one legged squats while balancing on a bosu ball that's between them and how fast they get ambulance service in their area.
But I'm definitely not going to let false information be passed around unchallenged.

I acknowledge that as Crixx said there are people with imbalances, posture problems etc that need corrected. No, I don't expect someone 400 lbs to rep out chin ups. That's the first time I've ever heard of that site, is there some sort of disclaimer stating that you have to be at some low end of the physical spectrum to read their articles? I think not. The 'article' is extremely poorly written, blanketing a group that is likely very diverse into the same category. If they had said "suffer from this? here's how to know if you do, and avoid this exercise if that's the case" then y'know that's different.

No generally accepted exercise is dangerous if you learn how to use proper form and are careful. The only exception is if you have specific physiological conditions that would cause complication eg. my wrist never healed 100% after I damaged the cartilage in it and it doesn't feel right when I do pull-ups. So I don't do pull ups, but that doesn't mean there's anything inherently wrong with them.

Offline Eroo

• Kage
  • Chakra 35
    • PSX,PS2,PSP,PS3,PS4
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel i7 5820k
  • GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 980 Ti
  • RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4
  • Broadband: Flow/Blink
  • PSN: David_Crockett
Hey was just going through this forum and read that you dont think bench press is very good. Why is that and would it apply to incline presses as well?

Offline MessiaaH

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 6
    • :ps3: :wii:
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
  • CPU: i7 3930k @ 5.0GHz
  • GPU: 3 * Nvidia GTX 680 (Liquid Cooled)
  • RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengence
  • BattleNet ID: MessiaaH / 350
  • XBL: MesssiaaaH
I now finish read everything.

My uncle is ah black belt in Kyokushin full contact karate (rolling bilna and breaking broomstick on yuh back kinda thing, i went through dat jazz since i small lol). Anyways, he went into weight lifting and make my ass lift with him. And we've done every excercise that article said not to do.

Becnh Press was d main one. I was d smallest skinniest man all throughout shcool.
Till i finish train a year straight with he, rel beast man training lol.

And i still train heavy today, not as often as i like but i still do it.

I've never damaged myself, or suffered any in d injuries listed in dis thread.
D only thing happen to me, i think i tear d muscle in my bicepts a time, in form 4, pain like wow. But that heal long time. and dat happen becuase i went overboard, and din want to quit on d weight in question.

In any event, all that is to say, i fully agree with Exar_Kun.
Once you doing d excercises with proper technique, weather you're a desk person (like ive been all my life), you good to go. I been thought d right way to do shit, and i have no injuries. It obvious if u watch a youtube video, or go playing heman by yourself, it is possible to damage urself even doing d "safe" alternatives mentioned on d site.

Pushups coudl cause more harm dan good if u doing it like shit.
And proper benchpress is actualy alot easier to do, and puts alot less strain on your body, dan a REAL pushup. and i think wud actualy be better for somebody with back problems, or unfit, to start off wiht some light benchpress, dan to go down doing half ass pushups.

And i benchpress 250lbs raw weight, squat 350, and bench/fly/incline/declien/military/etc 350 on d boflex.

Start light, do it properly, take your time, and you good to go.
And if your objective is to get fit, and not build mass, you should be running, or swimming, (plenty cardio) not lifting weights.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 11:45:14 AM by MessiaaH »

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • :ps3::wii::xbox360:
  • Referrals: 35
    • View Profile
    • http://www.carigamers.com
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
  • GPU: Geforce GTX 680 2GB
  • RAM: 16GB
  • MBL: Nexus 5x
  • PSN: TriniXaeno
  • XBL: TriniXaeno
Life isn't safe...but we live.

Gopaul luck isn't Seepaul luck.

You really have to give each situation individual consideration.

Berserk's case, where he had a history with a medical condition that would make doing weight lifting particularly risky.

Crixx's case, where his physical condition was poor and thus doing those exercises put him at risk

Messiaah's, where his family are genetically predisposed to beastly behaviour (breaking brooms on each others back from childhood) and had no problems with weight lifting whatsoever.

Me, on again, off again relationship with the gym, did all of those exercises and haven't had an injury to date and I am a notorious computer and console user. BMI sits just on the button of ideal (24.9)

So the universal answer to your question eroo is this:

"It depends"

Offline phoenix31tt

• Kage
  • Chakra -2
    • PS3
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz
  • GPU: Sapphire 5970
  • RAM: 12GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
  • Broadband: Flow
  • PSN: phoenix_31tt
  • XBL: phoenix31tt
indeed... and its never a case where computer guys shouldnt do it...

computer guys have nun to do with genetics... mostly

Offline zenmaster

• Chunin
  • Chakra 3
  • > 20 milli produc, <2 milli sales : Killzone2
    • PS2, PS3
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Duo core
  • RAM: 2GB
That article is mess. Just use light weights until you are comfortable to move up. Being a geek doesn't mean you have to look like one.

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

Offline Mez

• Global Moderator
  • Kage
  • Chakra 16
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 @2.4 Ghz
  • GPU: 1G nvidia
  • RAM: 4Gigs
I can attest to the situps. I've had doctors tell me that, those crunches do realy eff with the hip flexor. Wood Chops/Sledgehammer training. NOW THAT IS CORE WORK

EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3Gb
Corsair Enthusiast 750 W PSU Modular
Intel Core i5 2500K
ASUS Sabertooth P67
Crucial m4 64 GB SSD
Corsair Vengeance 16 Gigs DDR3

--Starcraft 2-- Battlefield 3--DOTA 2--Diablo3--

Offline Archer

• Global Moderator
  • Sannin
  • Chakra 70
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz
  • GPU: Nvidia Geforce 2GB GT540M
  • RAM: 6GB
  • Steam: SirArcher
^^ Yuh speaking my language there, core workouts ftw.  After doing core workouts for a while your body almost feels as if it's put-together better.

Carigamers

* ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Crimson609: yea everything cool how are you?
    August 10, 2022, 07:26:15 AM
  • Pain_Killer: Good day, what's going on with you guys? Is everything Ok?
    February 21, 2021, 05:30:10 PM
  • Crimson609: BOOM covid-19
    August 15, 2020, 01:07:30 PM
  • Shinsoo: bwda 2020 shoutboxing. omg we are in the future and in the past at the same time!
    March 03, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
  • TriniXjin: Watch Black Clover Everyone!
    February 01, 2020, 06:30:00 PM
  • Crimson609: lol
    February 01, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
  • Skitz: So fellas how we go include listing for all dem parts for pc on we profile but doh have any place for motherboard?
    January 24, 2020, 09:11:33 PM
  • Crimson609: :ph34r:
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:28 PM
  • Crimson609: Big up ya whole slef
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:17 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like Link
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:14 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Kitana
    January 20, 2019, 09:22:39 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Chappy
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:53 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul Like Minato
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:48 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like XJin
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:53 PM
  • protomanex: Shout out to man like Crimson
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:44 PM
  • Crimson609: shout out to gyal like Corbie Gonta
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:06 PM
  • cold_187: Why allur don't make a discord or something?
    December 03, 2018, 06:17:38 PM
  • Red Paradox: https://www.twitch.tv/flippay1985 everyday from 6:00pm
    May 29, 2018, 09:40:09 AM
  • Red Paradox: anyone play EA Sports UFC 3.. Looking for a challenge. PSN: Flippay1985 :)
    May 09, 2018, 11:00:52 PM
  • cold_187: @TriniXjin not really, I may have something they need (ssd/ram/mb etc.), hence why I also said "trade" ;)
    February 05, 2018, 10:22:14 AM

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal