Author Topic: Windows Phone 7  (Read 68106 times)

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
  • CPU: i5 3470
  • GPU: GTX 780
  • RAM: 8GB Corsair
  • Broadband: Blink 2Mb + Flow 20Mb
Re: Windows Phone 7
« Reply #340 on: December 17, 2012, 06:21:46 PM »
Splendid. I got the RM-819 version but there was no WP 7.8 firmware for it. Got a firmware for the RM-801 version though and flashed that on without a hitch.

Didnt want to wait as birthday is Wednesday. Niceness thanks for the info guys. Any other suggestions welcome.

Carigamers

« Reply #340 on: December 17, 2012, 06:21:46 PM »

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
« Reply #341 on: December 17, 2012, 09:33:05 PM »
I cant believe i've been searching for a way to set custom ringtones for the last 45 mins only to find out that it cant be done, must be done through Zune and the song must be under 45 seconds and under 1mb??? What?????????????

Offline Preston786

• AdvancedTactics
  • Kage
  • Chakra 35
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-3770
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW 8GB X2
  • RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400
  • Broadband: Digicel Play
  • Origin ID: Preston786
  • Steam: Preston786
RE: Windows Phone 7
« Reply #342 on: December 17, 2012, 11:50:16 PM »
Never had that problem cause all the Roms I use are custom but there are apps for that just check the marketplace

via my HD2 using Windows Phone 8

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
« Reply #343 on: December 18, 2012, 04:06:17 AM »
Wow they still cooking roms for that hd2? Wp8 roms no less?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Offline Preston786

• AdvancedTactics
  • Kage
  • Chakra 35
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-3770
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW 8GB X2
  • RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400
  • Broadband: Digicel Play
  • Origin ID: Preston786
  • Steam: Preston786
« Reply #344 on: December 18, 2012, 12:35:50 PM »
lol yea that's why I didn't sell it ...have it as backup and it runs windows phone smoothly :awesome:

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

Carigamers

« Reply #344 on: December 18, 2012, 12:35:50 PM »

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
« Reply #345 on: December 19, 2012, 07:43:00 AM »
That is absolutely shameful and atrocious. Alllll them antics just to get a custom ringtone? Them $300 phone could set ringtones way easier man Microsoft really?

Ok, so they have a ringtone editor in Windows Phone 8 (no, not even windows phone 7.8 on this Lumia 800 has it) do cut songs but why have that limitation at all??? I should be able to set any damn song that I want without cutting it. SMH jah boy

And yes, I checked the market which only has apps that pulls pre-existing sounds on the cloud that were already pre-cut...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 07:45:59 AM by Captain Awesome »

Offline MessiaaH

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 6
    • :ps3: :wii:
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
  • CPU: i7 3930k @ 5.0GHz
  • GPU: 3 * Nvidia GTX 680 (Liquid Cooled)
  • RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengence
  • BattleNet ID: MessiaaH / 350
  • XBL: MesssiaaaH
« Reply #346 on: December 19, 2012, 12:15:38 PM »
Captain Awesome, nokia have an official ringtone editiors, i have it on my phone, just use that.....
And WP8 fix d ringtone issues, u basically just drag whatever song u want to d "ringtones" folder and that's it. I put ah Lossless 50meg 4 minute file as my ringtone on my lumia 920 and it works fine.

But yes, that was a stupid issues to have in wp7, but at least it's gone in wp8.

D reason the issues was there is becuase there was no mass-storage support in wp7, everything was locked down, so u had to go through MS APIs (zune) to do ringtones.

Now if u plug in a wp8 into ur pc, it shows up as a hardrive, so u coudl basically do what u want with storage. Thus resolving the ringtones issues along with others that associated with native storage access.

But like i said, being the owner of a nokia device, u inside, because d nokia ringtone editor have u sorted, it should find any song on ur phone, and allow u to turn that into a ringtone.

Let meh know how it turns out. I'm enjoying d hell out of my 920 now, they do alot with wp8 boy.
I pickup my htc titan yesterday, and feel to throw it way. In comparison, wp8 is a big leap.

7.8 should bring ah good bit of usefull stuff that 8 has, but all in all, 8 is ah nice evolution.

@ Preston, that HD2 will never die, i hear men put windows 95 on it recently. I vex i sell mines boy, that phone belongs in a museum, it epic!

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
« Reply #347 on: December 19, 2012, 04:09:16 PM »
Where can I get that Nokia ringtone editor? Its not in WP 7.8 and cant find any reference to a windows phone/lumia version online.

edit**

haha looked in the store from the phone, nary a trace of the editor yet I am seeing articles about it, seeing it in the online store but come to look for it on the phone, not there.

Epically disgusting dan. WOW
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 04:24:06 PM by Captain Awesome »

Offline MessiaaH

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 6
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
« Reply #349 on: December 19, 2012, 04:37:53 PM »
Sigh, my best guess is a region lock because nothing I do results in successfully finding this mystical app, let alone installing it.

Cant even find an APK online that I can sideload as can be easily done on Android. Terrible.

Offline MessiaaH

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 6
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #350 on: December 19, 2012, 04:45:46 PM »
Iphone have no sideloading either. But again, MS addressed that in WP8 as apps can now be sideloader.
Another thing resolved by the File System issue. so both Ringtones and Sideloading addressed with that 1 change.

Also, I'm in the same region as u and i get the app fine.
But from way back in d day, i changed my hotmail account to a US address.
So that may be why. I never use trinidad as the address for no service i use, becuase there is always d chance u run into issues like this.

If it is indeed a region block, i wont be from d phone level, but from yuh live id level im guessing.
I just checked and my phone country/region set to USA also. so yea, no reason to use trini. just set timezone acordingly and it works, set eveyrthing else us, no reason atal to be trini. see if that helps

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
« Reply #351 on: December 20, 2012, 06:45:10 AM »
Thanks will try that.

*edit*

Live ID region was already set to USA on my main account, tried on another for good measure and nothing.

Also set the phone's time zone to Pacific time, nada.

Has to be a region block. See, you're in the Cayman, while physically located in the Caribbean is still British territory so for all intents and purposes, you're in the UK.

Would also explain why some people had the 7.8 upgrade available via Zune and I had to do a force flash to get it.

Le sigh. I guess i'll have to wait till MS good and ready to let us have it down here.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 07:03:56 AM by Captain Awesome »

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
« Reply #352 on: December 20, 2012, 07:29:46 AM »
Ok so I had to actually go on the app page on my desktop, manually enter the store's url in the phone's web browser which then took me to the app in the store on the phone.

For NOTHING I could find the damn thing doing a keyword search in the store. Even looked for 'nokia' and got all kinna other Nokia apps, not the maker.

At least the app does what its supposed to once installed despite the rash of negative feedback it has recieved in the store. I eh go get cuss now thank god.

Lawddd fadder microsoft. Yuh have plenty plenty work to do fellas. This is unacceptable.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 07:32:47 AM by Captain Awesome »

Offline MessiaaH

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 6
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #353 on: December 20, 2012, 09:37:59 AM »
Like i said, they done d work already, WP8.

And yes cayaman is a subset of the UK, legally thats the case, but on the Internet it's not, they count here as latin america for everything. For instance, steam games, i dont see d games on d UK or US page. I see d same thing trinis see. Same applies for netflix and any other web based services.

It also apply to payment on the windows phone store, i had to do a ratch with my CC becuase when i had now got my first wp, MS wasnt accepting international payment.

So i doh know if on MS end they make a region change for cayman or what. But i usually get the same issues with region blocks as trini.

But good thing is, at least yuh got it on lol.

WP8 fix rel thing, so MS already address all of that, even d payment system addressed, cause now they accept paypal.

Offline MessiaaH

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 6
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
« Reply #355 on: December 20, 2012, 01:11:05 PM »
No trolling, I like the fact that i'm seeing efforts to improve certain basic things (things that should not have been omitted in the first place). Things like access to the file system, sideloading are very welcome additions.

Step by step, it can be a platform I actually use. Whenever I have some extra cash i'd like to get a 920 lumia to run alongside my Nexus.

Offline MessiaaH

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 6
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #356 on: December 20, 2012, 01:22:22 PM »
Capt. as much as MS approach may not be the popular one, it's the smart one.
Android ended up the pack of fragmented mess becuase of such an approach. WM all over again with a new skin and more OEM support.

As much as i mite not like it, i agree with MS's approach, they release the platform lock down and barebone, and slowly creeping outwards, adding features as required, controlled and smart. (Same principles as when you're implementing firewalls, you build it completely lockdown, and slowly allow only what's needed / requested).

That's what they do, so eventually, WP will end up a rel strong platform, but still perfectly safe, stable, and performs well across a wad of devices. You wont find a single wp that runs slow or sluggish, because of the approach. Also all features will be standardized across the board. So no matter which oem u go, u get d same experience, save for the OEM specific apps they bring to the table.

So choosing which wp to go with will be just about what hardware u like, and who's oem software suite you prefer.

All in all, wp7 lacked alot, but the core concept of the OS was sound, efficient, and something i coulda use. Now WP8 plugging the holes, things just even better. Come WP9 when everything plugged, streamlined and integrated with Windows 9. And that go be GG.

Like i said many times, MS have a long term strategy in mind. they running ah marathon not ah sprint.
And they have enough cash to burn until the marathon comes to a head. They can afford to play it safe for a while, and get back ah monopoly later on. And with HTC and Nokia on they side. Is only good things to come.

I have d 920 and i already anxious about the 940 with Pureview 1 + Pureview 2 in d same package. That going to be disgusting. I never take so much photos in meh life before getting this 920 lol.

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
« Reply #357 on: December 20, 2012, 01:57:20 PM »
I'm not so sure that MS has taken a smart approach and i'll tell you why.

I hear you with the 'superior approach' argument and you may be right to a point. Sure it might be a sound OS, but only for some people. Just like Android may be a sound OS for only some people, same for IOS. The thing is that so far, MS's approach has captured the minds of a very limited number of people. This could be due to a wide variety of reasons but I wont go into detail.

What I would note though is a key observation I have made. Coming into the fold with WP7 in the early days circa 2010, MS declared war on fragmentation on all levels, hardware and software. Android was criticized heavily for the abundance of fragmentation but fast forward to 2012, I look around and low and behold, fragmentation has reared its 'ugly' head on WP platform. Suddenly, wp fanboys stopped ranting about fragmentation because alas, their holy platform had run into the same problem, albeit on a scaled back level.

My view is that the approach taken by MS on their os...COULD have been wildly successful before Android became wildly successful and people started tripping on themselves to get in on the platform as they still do. Coming into an environment like the one I described needs a different, much more aggressive approach on all levels FROM THE GET GO which Microsoft, in my opinion failed to do.

So you have a situation where they are just NOW adding features, important ones that people have now become accustomed to, nay, DEPENDENT on with other platforms, people will look at WP and go "oh okay thats a cool feature..are you just now getting that? but I can already do that on my Android AND this AND this for about two years now."

So yeah, Microsoft may be now catching up and selling a bit more devices but now it is too late. Until people start tripping over themselves to get in on it, there's absolutely no real chance of putting a dent in Android's mind share and market share.

How do they do that? The kid gloves need to come off. Offer something that's not just as good as, but far better than anything else out there. Unfortunately, that's way easier said than done.

Luckily though, I'd still buy one just because I love tech.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 02:27:40 PM by Captain Awesome »

Offline phoenix31tt

• Kage
  • Chakra -2
    • PS3
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz
  • GPU: Sapphire 5970
  • RAM: 12GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
  • Broadband: Flow
  • PSN: phoenix_31tt
  • XBL: phoenix31tt
« Reply #358 on: December 20, 2012, 02:54:17 PM »
Offer something that's not just as good as, but far better than anything else out there. Unfortunately, that's way easier said than done.

lumia 920... the most advanced smartphone in the world (hardware wise)... and now wp8 packs a whole bunch of stuff that other platforms lack...

but thats for them VS. thread...

but at the end of the day its for MS to convince customers, penetrate the low-medium range market, and get mass support from vendors/carriers...

so you are right... its a tough battle given all the things they need to get right... but i'm confident that the market will make room for a 3rd eco system... thats what i'm looking forward to... 3 platforms = more competition = win for you and me

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
« Reply #359 on: December 20, 2012, 04:18:10 PM »
True. Competition drives innovation. I'm rooting for them to improve further.

I see Nokia has the Lumia 620 for the budget minded and HTC has a decent budget device as well both running wp8. Things looking better man.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 04:21:01 PM by Captain Awesome »

Carigamers

« Reply #359 on: December 20, 2012, 04:18:10 PM »

* ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Crimson609: yea everything cool how are you?
    August 10, 2022, 07:26:15 AM
  • Pain_Killer: Good day, what's going on with you guys? Is everything Ok?
    February 21, 2021, 05:30:10 PM
  • Crimson609: BOOM covid-19
    August 15, 2020, 01:07:30 PM
  • Shinsoo: bwda 2020 shoutboxing. omg we are in the future and in the past at the same time!
    March 03, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
  • TriniXjin: Watch Black Clover Everyone!
    February 01, 2020, 06:30:00 PM
  • Crimson609: lol
    February 01, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
  • Skitz: So fellas how we go include listing for all dem parts for pc on we profile but doh have any place for motherboard?
    January 24, 2020, 09:11:33 PM
  • Crimson609: :ph34r:
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:28 PM
  • Crimson609: Big up ya whole slef
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:17 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like Link
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:14 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Kitana
    January 20, 2019, 09:22:39 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Chappy
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:53 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul Like Minato
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:48 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like XJin
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:53 PM
  • protomanex: Shout out to man like Crimson
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:44 PM
  • Crimson609: shout out to gyal like Corbie Gonta
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:06 PM
  • cold_187: Why allur don't make a discord or something?
    December 03, 2018, 06:17:38 PM
  • Red Paradox: https://www.twitch.tv/flippay1985 everyday from 6:00pm
    May 29, 2018, 09:40:09 AM
  • Red Paradox: anyone play EA Sports UFC 3.. Looking for a challenge. PSN: Flippay1985 :)
    May 09, 2018, 11:00:52 PM
  • cold_187: @TriniXjin not really, I may have something they need (ssd/ram/mb etc.), hence why I also said "trade" ;)
    February 05, 2018, 10:22:14 AM

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal