Author Topic: Can animals foresee natural disasters?  (Read 8872 times)

Offline woodyear99

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 113
    • PS3, Wii
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Q6600
  • RAM: 4 Gigabytes
  • Broadband: Flow
  • PSN: wodyer
Can animals foresee natural disasters?
« on: March 01, 2010, 01:13:30 PM »
Animals have been shown to act strange before natural disasters occur. Could this be a good way to monitor for earthquakes such as those that hit Haiti and Chile. This stuff sounds like it came out of a science fiction movie but then again it could be a case of fact being stranger than fiction.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/02/can-animals-foresee-natural-disasters.php

Earthquakes, like the one that struck today in Chile--which, at the time of this writing, is believed to have claimed 147 lives--are all the more devastating for their unpredictable nature. While geologists have resources available to indicate a probability of when a quake will strike, such as measuring seismic pressures or observing changes in magnetic fields, it is still impossible to provide any short-term notice to threatened communities--a notice that would undoubtedly save countless lives. Although geologists may be incapable of putting communities on alert, however, recent disasters are strengthening theories that some animals may be able to 'sense' impending earthquakes.

Seismologists in Guangxi Province, China, believe that snakes may be the most sensitive to subtle vibrations which precede a quake--predicting the disaster about 120 hours prior to the major event. The snakes are monitored 24 hours a day to observe any erratic behavior. According to the researchers, before an earthquake the snakes have been seen acting unusually, repeatedly throwing themselves against the walls of their enclosures.

Animals Acting Strangely Before Earthquakes
According to a report in Ambiente Brasil, observations indicating that animals may foresee disaster are not entirely uncommon, nor is the notion a modern one. A strange occurrence was noted by famed philosopher Immanuel Kant, in 1755, when he witnessed a multitude of earthworms emerging from the ground in south-east Spain. Eight days later, a devastating earthquake struck in Portugal.

In 1966, the city of Parkfield, California, was inexplicably overrun with rattlesnakes, fleeing the surrounding hills in droves. Two days later, an earthquake shook the area.

When officials from Haicheng, China, observed wildlife and livestock acting strangely in 1975, they decided to evacuate the city's 90 thousand residents. Only 10 percent of the city remained standing after the earthquake that occurred a short while later.

In February 2001, a large number of cats are reported to have gone missing in western Washington, twelve hours before a quake shook Seattle.

The earthquake and resulting tsunami which struck the Indian Ocean in December 2004 resulted in the deaths of nearly 285,000 people. Many tourists, who had been visiting an ecological reserve in Sri Lanka were killed by the tidal wave that swept miles inland. Survivors recalled that prior to the disaster, animals at the reserve were observed acting strangely, scrambling for high places. No animals were killed when the tidal wave arrived.

A video was discovered after a recent earthquake in northern California documenting the strange behavior of a dog moments before the shaking began. The dog, who was laying on the floor of an office, rose and quickly fled the room. Seconds later, the earthquake strikes.

Can Animals' Mysterious 'Sense' Save Lives?
As Chile begins to recover from the devastating 8.8 earthquake that struck this morning, it would not be surprising to learn of similar reports of animals seeming to foresee the disaster. With two major earthquakes in as many months, resulting in an unknown number of casualties, understanding how animals may forewarn such events may be as important as ever.

Carigamers

Can animals foresee natural disasters?
« on: March 01, 2010, 01:13:30 PM »

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 3770
  • GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070
  • RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR3 2166MHz
  • Broadband: FLOW
  • Steam: W1nTry
  • XBL: W1nTry
Re: Can animals foresee natural disasters?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 04:15:12 PM »
Even without a whole article, my answer would be a  RESOUNDING YES. Ever notice how animal make noise, disappear, etc when a 'storm' is coming? Do you think that's coincidence? I think not. The way I see it, humans are the cancer of the planet, we just spread and EAT up all the resources in an area and move on, animals on a WHOLE live in a symbiosis with one another, it's a delicate balance that man has thrown WILDLY off course. Imagine we have a couple thousand (less than 2 I think) tigers in the WORLD now? or the fact that we nearly hunted ALL species of WHALES to extinction? Or we have created a floating island of GARBAGE in the PACIFIC ocean the size of TEXAS!!!! (WTF). Animals are in tune with nature, so when $hit is about to hit the fan, they know. Mankind wouldn't notice a natural disaster coming if it was coming from MILES AWAY (think tsunami). If we were in tune with nature and had a symbiotic relationship i'm sure we would have developed that link the way animal have.... ah well, they use radiation to kill cancer, we'll ALL get our chance when the Ozone is gone.

Offline Crixx_Creww

• Akatsuki
  • Chakra -12
  • ANBU OF THE HIDDEN VILLAGE FOAK
    • Atari 2600.
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
    • www.crixxcrew.com
  • CPU: Intel Q6600 @3.2 Ghz
  • GPU: Nvidia Xfx geforce 9800GTX+
  • RAM: 8 Gigs Mixed kingston and corsair ddr2
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 04:18:02 PM »
well its inconclusive because most of the "evidence" is anecdotal
and scientist who are skeptical usually site the fact that pet owners who say they have documented the dogs or cats or birds behaviours just before and during the natural disaster, dont ever have observational data on the behaviours of the animals on a normal basis to determine whether or not the animals ever behave the same way when disasters arent happening.

In other words, to the human mind it always SEEMS like the animals are behaving strange just before the disasters because thats the only time we are paying attention...

Except elephants.. elephants seem to actually pwn at detecting events that have already occured but far away. Like an earthquake or tsunami that is like a bajillion (actual quoted distance) miles  away, they sense/hear/ check the innernets for gps data, and bus de tape before disaster reaches.

Offline woodyear99

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 113
    • PS3, Wii
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 04:25:12 PM »
Even without a whole article, my answer would be a  RESOUNDING YES. Ever notice how animal make noise, disappear, etc when a 'storm' is coming? Do you think that's coincidence? I think not. The way I see it, humans are the cancer of the planet, we just spread and EAT up all the resources in an area and move on, animals on a WHOLE live in a symbiosis with one another, it's a delicate balance that man has thrown WILDLY off course. Imagine we have a couple thousand (less than 2 I think) tigers in the WORLD now? or the fact that we nearly hunted ALL species of WHALES to extinction? Or we have created a floating island of GARBAGE in the PACIFIC ocean the size of TEXAS!!!! (WTF). Animals are in tune with nature, so when $hit is about to hit the fan, they know. Mankind wouldn't notice a natural disaster coming if it was coming from MILES AWAY (think tsunami). If we were in tune with nature and had a symbiotic relationship i'm sure we would have developed that link the way animal have.... ah well, they use radiation to kill cancer, we'll ALL get our chance when the Ozone is gone.

Ah yes I can always count on you to point out the cancer on the planet lol.

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • :ps3::wii::xbox360:
  • Referrals: 35
    • View Profile
    • http://www.carigamers.com
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
  • GPU: Geforce GTX 680 2GB
  • RAM: 16GB
  • Broadband: :flow:
  • MBL: Nexus 5x
  • PSN: TriniXaeno
  • XBL: TriniXaeno
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 06:54:27 PM »
someone save w1ntry a seat on the next flight to Pandora. lol

but my mom swears the dogs (well one german shepherd in particular) leaves and sits at the gate whenever a family member is coming home. Like he can sense them from a huge distance away.

There is no doubt in my mind that animals (dogs at least from my personal experience) sense things that the average human cannot.

That's why we use them to hunt. lol

Carigamers

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 06:54:27 PM »

Offline woodyear99

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 113
    • PS3, Wii
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 07:33:20 PM »
Well they do have an incredible sense of smell :p

Offline Crixx_Creww

• Akatsuki
  • Chakra -12
  • ANBU OF THE HIDDEN VILLAGE FOAK
    • Atari 2600.
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
    • www.crixxcrew.com
  • CPU: Intel Q6600 @3.2 Ghz
  • GPU: Nvidia Xfx geforce 9800GTX+
  • RAM: 8 Gigs Mixed kingston and corsair ddr2
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 09:28:20 PM »
the coming home thing is also documented... its not precognition.. its cause they know our routines
sometimes better than we do.. and of course they hear us coming a long ways off.. but its usually cause they know our routines so well that they memorize what times we generally come on on what days... when we our selves may not realise we have a pattern..  (isnt pattern spelt weird?? hmm)

Offline MarvinnoK

• Academy Student
  • Chakra 0
    • View Profile
  • GPU: BMW
  • MBL: TransAM WS6
  • Origin ID: MarvinnoK
  • XBL: ALSheeceMulse
Can animals foresee natural disasters
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 02:29:50 AM »
Why go to all the effort of growing an extra pair of limbs when you can just learn to stand on two legs instead?

Carigamers

Can animals foresee natural disasters
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 02:29:50 AM »

* ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Crimson609: yea everything cool how are you?
    August 10, 2022, 07:26:15 AM
  • Pain_Killer: Good day, what's going on with you guys? Is everything Ok?
    February 21, 2021, 05:30:10 PM
  • Crimson609: BOOM covid-19
    August 15, 2020, 01:07:30 PM
  • Shinsoo: bwda 2020 shoutboxing. omg we are in the future and in the past at the same time!
    March 03, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
  • TriniXjin: Watch Black Clover Everyone!
    February 01, 2020, 06:30:00 PM
  • Crimson609: lol
    February 01, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
  • Skitz: So fellas how we go include listing for all dem parts for pc on we profile but doh have any place for motherboard?
    January 24, 2020, 09:11:33 PM
  • Crimson609: :ph34r:
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:28 PM
  • Crimson609: Big up ya whole slef
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:17 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like Link
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:14 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Kitana
    January 20, 2019, 09:22:39 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Chappy
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:53 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul Like Minato
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:48 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like XJin
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:53 PM
  • protomanex: Shout out to man like Crimson
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:44 PM
  • Crimson609: shout out to gyal like Corbie Gonta
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:06 PM
  • cold_187: Why allur don't make a discord or something?
    December 03, 2018, 06:17:38 PM
  • Red Paradox: https://www.twitch.tv/flippay1985 everyday from 6:00pm
    May 29, 2018, 09:40:09 AM
  • Red Paradox: anyone play EA Sports UFC 3.. Looking for a challenge. PSN: Flippay1985 :)
    May 09, 2018, 11:00:52 PM
  • cold_187: @TriniXjin not really, I may have something they need (ssd/ram/mb etc.), hence why I also said "trade" ;)
    February 05, 2018, 10:22:14 AM

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal