Author Topic: Congo mass rape numbers rise  (Read 2973 times)

Offline woodyear99

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 113
    • PS3, Wii
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Q6600
  • RAM: 4 Gigabytes
  • Broadband: Flow
  • PSN: wodyer
Congo mass rape numbers rise
« on: September 02, 2010, 09:36:22 AM »
Damn this is depressing, babies too wtf.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-11162177

Some 240 women, girls and babies may have been raped after rebels recently seized a town in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the UN says.

Officials had previously said they had received reports of 150 rapes in and around the town of Luvungi.

The UN mission has been heavily criticised for not doing more to protect the local population as it had peacekeepers based nearby.

But it says it was only told of the rapes after the rebels had left.
Continue reading the main story
DR Congo: Dreaming of Democracy

The incident prompted an emergency session of the UN Security Council, and Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has sent a senior envoy to find out what happened after rebels moved into Luvungi on 30 July, staying for four days.

The council also said peacekeepers in the area should have done more to protect local people from the Congolese Mai Mai and Rwandan FDLR armed groups.

The FDLR has, however, denied that its forces took part in the attack.

The peacekeepers say they were not told about the attacks until 10 days later, even though they have a base 20 miles (30km) away.

They say local people may have been afraid of rebel reprisals or ashamed by the rapes.

The UN mission in DR Congo, known as Monusco - until recently the world's largest peacekeeping mission - says it has stepped up patrols in the area "to reassure the local population", reports the AFP news agency.
Map

Some of the women report being abused by several men in front of their husbands and children.

The DR Congo conflict has become notorious for the sexual abuse of women and girls - one UN envoy called it the "rape capital of the world" earlier this year.

Eastern DR Congo is still plagued by army and militia violence despite the end of the country's five-year war in 2003.

UN peacekeeping troops have been backing efforts to defeat the FDLR, whose leaders are linked to the 1994 genocide in Rwanda and who are operating in eastern DR Congo.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8677637.stm

Haunted by Congo rape dilemma

By Anne Mawathe
BBC News, Goma

''The rebel leader asked me two things: 'Do you want us to be your husbands? Or do you want us to rape you?'"

Congolese mother-of-eight Clementine speaks in a quiet and hesitant voice:

"I chose to be raped."

She explains: "I told myself, if I tell them that I want to be their wife, they will kill my husband. I didn't want my children growing up saying the one that made our father die is our mother."

Every time they see this woman, they see someone they were not able to protect
Jocelyn Kelly
Harvard Humanitarian Initiative

But that sacrifice was not enough. Her husband left her for another woman.

"After they raped me, my husband hated me. He said I was dirty. I often ask myself: 'Surely, I gave up my dignity for him, how come he can abandon me this way?'"

Margot Wallstrom, the UN's special representative on sexual violence in conflict recently said the Democratic Republic of Congo was the "rape capital of the world".

A host of different armed groups roam parts of eastern DR Congo and all are accused of horrific violence against women.

'Failures'

Clementine says she will not marry again: "He is the husband I chose when I took my vows in the church. If God wills, he will return.''

It seems to be a forlorn hope.

Jocelyn Kelly, a researcher with the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative's Gender-Based Violence programme, says the men that have survived these attacks on their families are extremely traumatised themselves:

"They say: 'I can no longer look at my wife.' And every time they see this woman, they see someone they were not able to protect. They feel like failures and the only way they can deal with it is to reject their wife and start over."

This is part of the damage that has been caused by people like Emmanuel, a former child soldier who is now 22 years old.

Rebel fighters from the National Congress for the Defence of the People (CNDP), under the direction of renegade army general Laurent Nkunda, walk in the bush near the north-east Congolese town of Rutshuru in the North Kivu area some 75 km north of Goma [file photo]
Rebel groups complain that they are left to fend for themselves in the forests

He fought with the CNDP rebel group.

Emmanuel says that they raped to show their anger with the authorities for neglecting them.

"Soldiers or rebels usually rape because we stay in isolated places and we don't get our pay - even if it can come, it doesn't come on time.

"After living for a long time in the forest, you don't see women and so if one woman shows up then all of us, we profit."

Weapon of war

But Congolese women's rights activist and vice-president of the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom, Marie-Claire Faray argues that men like Emmanuel are taking advantage of the vulnerability of women.

map
If they can't control themselves then they are at the level of an animal
Marie-Claire Faray
Congolese women's rights activist

DR Congo is world 'rape capital'
DR Congo rape crisis 'spreading'

"What is their cause? This is nothing to do with women," she says.

"It doesn't make sense. They are getting some form of pleasure out of it and it has nothing to do with fighting for a cause."

Sexual violence is used as a weapon of war and with extraordinary brutality: Gang rape is commonplace; and objects such as gun butts are sometimes used.

At a centre in the main eastern Congolese town of Goma, where rape survivors are brought from various villages for medical attention, 57 women are singing and dancing to the beat of a drum.

Their ululations and agile dancing mask their fear.

Even though the worst has already happened.

Cold and emotionless

In one of the rooms, a heavy foul smell suffocates the air. At first impression, it gives the impression of a toilet that is not clean. It wasn't.

The smell was coming from the women themselves.

Some of them are suffering from fistula whose manifestation is the uncontrollable passage of urine and in some cases, faeces.

Women and a girl walk along a road carrying water in eastern Congo [file photo]
It is estimated that 14 women are raped each day in eastern DR Congo

One 15-year-old is drumming as hard as she can.

Her experiences exemplify this complex war raging against women. She was abducted by 10 rebels from the Interahamwe group accused of carrying out the genocide in neighbouring Rwanda. They kept her for about a year as a sex slave.

''They would rape me in turns. It got to a point where I did not feel pain.''

They fed her when they wished and gave her water from their gumboots to drink. She soon became pregnant. The rebels said she would be set free once she had given birth.

''One day they tied me to a tree and tried to pull the baby out. The blood... it just kept flowing.''

She says she can no longer feel pain and relates all this in a detached manner - cold and emotionless - and then ties a colourful wraparound around her waist and walks away.

Prison

A former government soldier who is serving 20 years in Goma Central Prison says he attacked the first woman he came across after sneaking away from his post:

Sometimes I feel like I don't have a desire to live on this Earth
Clementine
Congolese rape victim

''I asked her to help me. I had this urge to have sex. She didn't want to have sex with me. But I forced her. I felt that if I didn't have sex then I would get sick.

"She left without crying but as she was leaving she said she would denounce me. I regret it now because I am in prison."

He is among the few to have been arrested.

Ms Kelly says that many soldiers view women as men's helpers.

"There is this attitude that it is a man's right to have sex and there's no way that a man cannot have sex."

Ms Faray despairs: "If they can't control themselves, then they are at the level of an animal. It is really just an excuse to legitimise the violence and they are living in a situation of impunity. It is an excuse to live a life of lawlessness."

Dr Lucy Kasereka of the Heal Africa Hospital says justice is hard to come by.

''Even when these suspects are arrested, there is no proper prison or even legal representation. For us Christians, the Ten Commandments are our judge.''

'They destroyed my life'

Provincial Minister for Justice and Human Rights Francois Rucogoza thinks that if DR Congo can rid itself of all the armed groups, rape will be a thing of the past.

A Congolese woman cries while fleeing fighting in eastern Congo
Women have borne the brunt of the violence

But women like Yvone, 37, will never escape the past.

Her husband was made to watch while she was raped, repeatedly. Today, her husband wants nothing to do with her.

Yvone explains: "I am living with my husband in the same house but we are separated. He spends nights on his bed and I spend nights on my bed with the children.

"We cannot do the act of love. When I need him, I tell him, but he says 'No. Never.' 'He tells me to go back to my husbands, the Interahamwe, every time we argue.''

She says she begs her husband to understand her situation. He refuses to.

Only other women understand her.

Clementine speaks for them all when she says:

"I cannot forgive these rapists because they destroyed my life. Sometimes I feel like I don't have a desire to live on this Earth."
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 09:39:22 AM by woodyear99 »

Carigamers

Congo mass rape numbers rise
« on: September 02, 2010, 09:36:22 AM »

Offline Crixx_Creww

• Akatsuki
  • Chakra -12
  • ANBU OF THE HIDDEN VILLAGE FOAK
    • Atari 2600.
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
    • www.crixxcrew.com
  • CPU: Intel Q6600 @3.2 Ghz
  • GPU: Nvidia Xfx geforce 9800GTX+
  • RAM: 8 Gigs Mixed kingston and corsair ddr2
Re: Congo mass rape numbers rise
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 09:41:30 AM »
:(
*throws hands in air*

Offline woodyear99

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 113
    • PS3, Wii
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Q6600
  • RAM: 4 Gigabytes
  • Broadband: Flow
  • PSN: wodyer
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 10:49:32 AM »
You know things messed up when a story starts off like this.......
''The rebel leader asked me two things: 'Do you want us to be your husbands? Or do you want us to rape you?'"

Carigamers

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 10:49:32 AM »

* ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Crimson609: yea everything cool how are you?
    August 10, 2022, 07:26:15 AM
  • Pain_Killer: Good day, what's going on with you guys? Is everything Ok?
    February 21, 2021, 05:30:10 PM
  • Crimson609: BOOM covid-19
    August 15, 2020, 01:07:30 PM
  • Shinsoo: bwda 2020 shoutboxing. omg we are in the future and in the past at the same time!
    March 03, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
  • TriniXjin: Watch Black Clover Everyone!
    February 01, 2020, 06:30:00 PM
  • Crimson609: lol
    February 01, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
  • Skitz: So fellas how we go include listing for all dem parts for pc on we profile but doh have any place for motherboard?
    January 24, 2020, 09:11:33 PM
  • Crimson609: :ph34r:
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:28 PM
  • Crimson609: Big up ya whole slef
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:17 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like Link
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:14 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Kitana
    January 20, 2019, 09:22:39 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Chappy
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:53 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul Like Minato
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:48 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like XJin
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:53 PM
  • protomanex: Shout out to man like Crimson
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:44 PM
  • Crimson609: shout out to gyal like Corbie Gonta
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:06 PM
  • cold_187: Why allur don't make a discord or something?
    December 03, 2018, 06:17:38 PM
  • Red Paradox: https://www.twitch.tv/flippay1985 everyday from 6:00pm
    May 29, 2018, 09:40:09 AM
  • Red Paradox: anyone play EA Sports UFC 3.. Looking for a challenge. PSN: Flippay1985 :)
    May 09, 2018, 11:00:52 PM
  • cold_187: @TriniXjin not really, I may have something they need (ssd/ram/mb etc.), hence why I also said "trade" ;)
    February 05, 2018, 10:22:14 AM

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal