Author Topic: Everything Android  (Read 395235 times)

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
  • CPU: i5 3470
  • GPU: GTX 780
  • RAM: 8GB Corsair
  • Broadband: Blink 2Mb + Flow 20Mb
Everything Android
« on: November 07, 2010, 07:37:42 PM »
Guys, I just acquired a Google Nexus One, an Android OS device as everyone here should already know. I thought i'd start off a thread that will chronicle everyone's experiences with their Android OS device

I'll kick things off...

I got the N1 already updated with Froyo (cheating, I know, (bought used on Ebay, excellent condition)). I am not entirely sure how to even tell if it is rooted or not. I will check on this, if you can guide me on how to find out, let me know. From my observations in the Market, I found that all I saw popping up was free apps with a sprinkling of trials.

After installing a handful of aps I have 119MB remaining. Over time I’ll see how this stands up with more installs. This brings me to an article I stumbled upon which details an alternative method to Apps2SD. http://androinica.com/2010/08/03/how-to-install-apps-to-the-sd-card-by-default-on-android-2-2-froyo/. I suspect that I will be looking at doing this soon.
Let me address a couple of the issues you highlighted and share my personal experience.

1)      Typing- I am a hardware keyboard fanatic. I love the kb on my BB9700 and really wanted to get a device with a hardware keyboard. I was expecting nightmares on the Nexus, however with the default kb, it was pretty easy to get the hang of. I have a couple kb apps to try so I will need to do so and report another time on my findings.
2)      Memory – As stated before, memory stands at 119MB after I received it with 135MB.
3)     Battery – Drains much more quickly than that of the 9700. I would definitely need to carry a charger to work with me.

Applications installed
1)      Astro File Manager  (cracked)– I like it, pretty easy to use and it works. You can add the SMB module available on the marketplace. On the ribbon menu on top, when you scroll all the way to the right and select ‘Network’, you will find this option. I can’t comment on its functionality as I have not yet tried to implement it. The crack just removes the ad support.
2)      Advanced Task Killer – Does what the name implies, kills running tasks. It works and it’s free.
3)      App launcher pro (Cracked) – VERY nice, quickly accessible by expanding the notification area, I’ve configured a variety of shortcuts on it. Between this and Advanced Task Killer, general app management is a cinch.
4)      Docs To Go Full version (cracked) – Use it on the Blackberry, works well. I expect the same for the Android iteration.
5)      Facebook
6)      MSN Talk
7)      Adobe Flash Player 10.1
8)     Adobe reader
9)    Remote Desktop (cracked)– Works very well, I’m pleased.
10)   TouchDown (cracked) – One of the best apps I’ve installed so far. This is a much improved Exchange app to the default one. You can do many things that you can do with outlook. Very powerful.
11) Mumble!! - yeah, THE mumble. And it works too. No longer can arc and woody make style with this on their phones hehe.

And the voyage continues...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 08:00:42 PM by Captain Awesome »

Carigamers

Everything Android
« on: November 07, 2010, 07:37:42 PM »

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
Re: Everything Android
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 07:54:47 PM »
Subsequently, I found out that the device was NOT rooted. This was not too much of a big deal, however certain critical apps required that it was rooted (basically a fancy term for fill admin access on the phone).

I did this so that I could see all apps on the android Market. A handful of other apps also need these permissions so it will come in handy again down the road.

I also did a test of the battery life. From full charge it lasted 20 hours with WIFI on continuously, 30mins of a voice only skype call, a good bit of texting on Fring and a plenty 'play up' including browsing and youtube videos.

Not bad at all imo, not as good as the BB 9700 but damn good nonetheless. There are other ways to increase battery life like installing custom roms etc but im not ready to delve that far just yet, perhaps in the future.

Disappointments

No matter how awesome, there will be some disappointments, and I had a couple.

1) Task management- There is no proper task management features built in. I installed a couple as seen in my previous post but I still find them to be lacking even compared to the blackberry. Perhaps I havent looked hard enough, im SURE there is something out there that will sort that out.

2) Battery life - could be a bit better. For the sheer power of the device, though, im not complaining.

I'll be sure to contribute more once I gain experience with this device and OS. All in all, thus far this platform WIN WIN WIN!!!!

« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 07:56:26 PM by Captain Awesome »

Offline Preston786

• AdvancedTactics
  • Kage
  • Chakra 35
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-3770
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW 8GB X2
  • RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400
  • Broadband: Digicel Play
  • Origin ID: Preston786
  • Steam: Preston786
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 10:02:59 PM »
Boi I just used a Desire this evening with Froyo it WIN

and since the Nexus using it it should be the same but i think u need to get a Desire ROM

check XDA so u cld get Sense 2.5 it will make a noticeable difference with the task

management and the like...... and improve usability...then again is up to preference but

I wld advise it...just do sum digging to find the right one that ported properly

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • :ps3::wii::xbox360:
  • Referrals: 35
    • View Profile
    • http://www.carigamers.com
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
  • GPU: Geforce GTX 680 2GB
  • RAM: 16GB
  • Broadband: :flow:
  • MBL: Nexus 5x
  • PSN: TriniXaeno
  • XBL: TriniXaeno
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 10:55:19 PM »
As you say rooted, with all this power and connectivity, is there an increased risk of virus or spyware infections?

What about some hacker getting access to all your info on the phone?

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 11:36:17 PM »
I generally like the stock android experience. I would look for an app for task management before flashing to another rom. Yea @ xda, thats seems to be a great community right there.

@ hackers, I havent heard anything through the grapevine about any viruses/hacks on Android, but who knows, with web connected devices I guess anything is possible. Rooting does give certain apps superuser permissions on the phone but there's a UAC type thing built in where you get a prompt to allow the access so that is one way of mitigating any risk.

*Edit*

Found an excellent app for task management called Android Task Manager. Good lord this thing sweet.

All I missing now is an app to wash the wares.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 11:55:32 PM by Captain Awesome »

Carigamers

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 11:36:17 PM »

Offline Czar

• Ancient
  • Kage
  • Chakra 12
    • Xbox One
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
  • XBL: slyCzar
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 07:42:49 PM »
Interesting to see that the N1 reach Trini shores...I been rockin mine since May this year and lovin it. This is actually my first smartphone as I've been a serious holdout from picking one up, but I'm glad that I did, and even happier that I chose the Nexus One. Seein as yours is second hand, I can't really ask yuh wha yuh engrave on d back, but did it already have some engraving? Or did the previous owner order it stock? I put:

This is not an iPhone.

:D

Couldn't resist the opportunity to put it in stone, so to speak :)

As far as apps, you should get:

Angry Birds - bess game
Handcent SMS - better SMS app than the stock
KeePassDroid - Android version of KeePass, a password repository app
Nesoid Lite - NES gaming on the go :)
SwiFTP - Easy to use FTP server for quick transfer of files over wireless etc.

My other app suggestions sort of depend on if you live abroad (which you don't seem to). But, for instance, I use Trapster for alerting me about known police speed traps etc. Google Maps gets huge play on my phone with the built-in turn-by-turn navigation. And I'm a huge user of Google Voice, even though it supposedly only allows Americans to signup right now (I live in Canada) - I found a loophole and was able to signup an account and now I have an app called Google Voice Callback which intercepts outbound calls, logs into Google Voice server and has the server call me, then patches me through to the number I was gonna call, and since I have unlimited incoming calls, and all calls within North America are free with Google Voice, at least until the end of 2010, it works out to be free calls for me :)

I had recently installed Skype when they made it available to all Android phones (not jus particular service provider subscribers), but quickly removed it when I found that it was running in the background, even when I'm not logged in! Worse yet, it sucked up 10% of my battery life within hours of it being installed. Skype hadda come better dan dat. So until they hit v3.0 or sometin, it go stay off my phone.

As you mentioned, battery life is not the greatest, but I actually don't notice it because I have my phone plugged into the car dock on my drive to and from work as I use it as my GPS and mp3 player, and then at night, I have it on the desk dock in alarm clock mode, so it's always charged up when I want to use it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 07:49:55 PM by Czar »

Offline woodyear99

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 113
    • PS3, Wii
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Q6600
  • RAM: 4 Gigabytes
  • Broadband: Flow
  • PSN: wodyer
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 08:06:24 PM »
Will be keeping an eye on this thread, I feel I will be going Android at some point in 2011.....N900 nice and all but if something comes out with better battery life I might just take a try.

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 08:33:42 PM »
@ Czar, yes I am in trini so turn by turn isnt available down here through a free service such as Google Maps.

Mine indeed came clean, no engravings. lol @ not iphone. In fact, I got one that was barely used, unless you look very closely, you cant tell it is used! As for the skype, have you tried ending the process in a task manager? I use one called 'Task Manager' and am able to end it manually, even though the program itself does not have an 'exit' option. Unfortunately, no free calls for us down here, skype or another voip app is the only way.

Thanks for the heads up on those other apps. I've had it only a few days so I havent really gotten to those meaty goodies yet.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 08:36:32 PM by Captain Awesome »

Offline Arcmanov

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 126
  • Gamer/Enthusiast
    • :n64: :gcn: :dreamcast: :xbox360: :computer:
    • View Profile
    • Arcmanov's rig
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.3 GHz
  • GPU: 2 x [Gigabyte] GeForce GTX 1070
  • RAM: 4 x 8GB G.Skill.TridentZ RGB DDR4-2400
  • MBL: LG V20
  • Origin ID: Arcmanov
  • PSN: Arcmanov
  • Steam: Arcmanov
  • XBL: Arcmanov
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 08:37:18 PM »
As you talk that...for a long time I've had my eye on the HTC Incredible/Desire.  The Sense UI on the Incredible seems to be the best thing since...well, bread, according to some of the reviews I've read.
Systems United Navy - Accipiens ad Astra

Offline Fkacn_tt

• Global Moderator
  • Kage
  • Chakra 0
    • PS3,PsP, Dead PS2
    • View Profile
  • CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
  • GPU: XFX 4850 512mb
  • RAM: 2 GB PC 6400
  • PSN: r_guy007
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 08:53:03 PM »
I just bought an Incredible not sure if im keeping it as i am getting a good deal for a droid x(jizzes in pants) but will decide when i get the incredible thursday.

PS not sure if there is a world phone edition for the Incredible, but the Desire is GSM and seems to be a larger screen version of the Incredible but with less onboard memory > 2GB but better battery.  
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 08:57:42 PM by Slaming »
" border="0

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 09:06:17 PM »
Cyah go wrong with any of those phones, but yall making me want to try a custom rom with sense to see how it is. Only thing holding me back is the possibility of an imminent release of 2.3 gingerbread.

Offline woodyear99

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 113
    • PS3, Wii
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 11:07:43 PM »
Yall making me want to get a new phone :s

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • :ps3::wii::xbox360:
  • Referrals: 35
    • View Profile
    • http://www.carigamers.com
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
  • GPU: Geforce GTX 680 2GB
  • RAM: 16GB
  • MBL: Nexus 5x
  • PSN: TriniXaeno
  • XBL: TriniXaeno
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 07:32:11 AM »
yall making me pissed

(glares @ bb9700)

Offline Czar

• Ancient
  • Kage
  • Chakra 12
    • Xbox One
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
  • XBL: slyCzar
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 02:34:32 PM »
@ Cap, yeah I tried killing skype, and it seemed to go away at first, but quickly respawned itself! Dat kinda ish nah cut it wit me, so it get a quick uninstall. But yeah, if you eh really have another option fuh free calls, yuh hadda put up wit it. Dey really need to code it better.

I use Task Manager by Rhythm Software v1.7.0, wit d lil droid wit a x in d "system tray", prolly d same one you talkin bout.

Another good app to check out is a keyboard replacement called Swype, but you had to have gotten into their beta to get it, which is closed now, unfortunately. www.swypeinc.com for deets.

Angry Birds dropped an update today with 45 new levels - just in time seeing as I just finished all the previous levels a couple nights ago :)

Haven't used Sense, myself, but it looks nice in the screens and vids that I've seen of it. Not sure what impact it has on battery life, though. From what I've been reading about Gingerbread (2.3) though, it sounds like they may be doing a bit of an overhaul on the UI, negating the need for Sense et al. Guess we'll see soon enough.

LOL @ men wanting new phone now :P

Ah go take a pic of d engraving and post up in a timin.

Well this is an interesting find:

Skype updates to 1.0.1
http://www.cnet.com/8301-19736_1-20022280-251.html

With Skype for Android 1.0.1, we focused on the areas we received feedback on from our customers. In short the most important improvements for this release are:

* 320*240 and 240*400 screen resolutions are now supported.
* Hardware back key is now supported.
* Signing out from Skype now exits Skype.
* Reduced power consumption in idle mode.

* Improved login stability and behavior.
* Improved performance with large contact lists.
* Reduced application size.
* General bug fixes.

http://blogs.skype.com/garage/2010/11/skype_101_for_android.html

I'll perhaps consider reinstalling it. But good that the two that I highlighted were addressed because it was a power hog IMO.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 06:40:15 PM by Czar »

Offline Preston786

• AdvancedTactics
  • Kage
  • Chakra 35
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-3770
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW 8GB X2
  • RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400
  • Broadband: Digicel Play
  • Origin ID: Preston786
  • Steam: Preston786
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 05:01:05 PM »
Well I just load Darkstone Froyo 2.2.1 for the HD2 and i must say

EETTT BADDDD :awesome: the only downside is battery life ....

but I'm sure it have some newer roms out there that fixes that,

but i love darkstone's port everything works and its super fast

Android has come MILES ahead of where it was with donut.... and I despised it back then
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 05:07:53 PM by Preston786 »

Offline woodyear99

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 113
    • PS3, Wii
    • View Profile
Barnes & Noble Nook Color
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 02:23:13 PM »
Hey Folks,

I ordered the Barnes & Noble Nook Color e-reader a few weeks ago using my local credit card. Shipping was fast and I paid no duty via Upxpress, shipping cost was approximately 77 TTD. What really had me interested was the ability to root the device and use it as a tablet similar to the Archos 70. It is interesting to note that the Nook Color uses the same IPS screen as the iPad but in a 7 inch form factor. Once you root the device you are able to access the Android market and install many Android apps. I've encountered no problems so far, all in all a great device. I made a quick video and put a link to my more detailed review.

I also wrote up a more detailed review here
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 02:35:01 PM by woodyear99 »

Offline Arcmanov

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 126
  • Gamer/Enthusiast
    • :n64: :gcn: :dreamcast: :xbox360: :computer:
    • View Profile
    • Arcmanov's rig
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.3 GHz
  • GPU: 2 x [Gigabyte] GeForce GTX 1070
  • RAM: 4 x 8GB G.Skill.TridentZ RGB DDR4-2400
  • MBL: LG V20
  • Origin ID: Arcmanov
  • PSN: Arcmanov
  • Steam: Arcmanov
  • XBL: Arcmanov
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 04:15:29 PM »
Clearly, those hands aint yours.  :laughing7:
Systems United Navy - Accipiens ad Astra

Offline Redfish

• Sannin
  • Chakra 28
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Core i5 2500K 3.4GHz
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 670 2 GB DDR5
  • RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 07:55:07 PM »
^Lmao I thought was only me eh, but yea Woody you need to go and throw some cutlass in the backyard and pound some random nails in a board etc. LoL!!

Anyway, pretty cool there man. I bought a kindle for moms bday last November but this nook looking cool for me in the future.

It looks a little delayed in the touch response to scroll etc or maybe it's just me...

Do you think this can work with a VTM in terms of getting one & books from Barnes & Noble?

Offline woodyear99

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 113
    • PS3, Wii
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 08:08:46 PM »

Anyway, pretty cool there man. I bought a kindle for moms bday last November but this nook looking cool for me in the future.

It looks a little delayed in the touch response to scroll etc or maybe it's just me...

Do you think this can work with a VTM in terms of getting one & books from Barnes & Noble?
I think the delay is from the video, the apps such as angry birds work just as good as on my fiancee's iPhone. I was actually surprised at the performance of these market apps considering it is marketed as an ereader. I believe these apps work well because of the Nook's 512 mb RAM.

I nearly got a Kindle but wanted something that could do more than just read books. I would say that the pdf reader is superior on the Nook Color as well. I thought the 7 inch screen would be too small but it is decent and makes the device more portable than a Kindle DX.

As for buying ebooks from B&N I'm not sure since I did not try. Had no problems ordering two Nooks off the B&N website though.

Offline Redfish

• Sannin
  • Chakra 28
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Core i5 2500K 3.4GHz
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 670 2 GB DDR5
  • RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 08:20:49 PM »
Ok I guess youtube is at it again.

Well buy a book already........I'm waiting to see what happens lol j/k

Yea makes sense having that coloured one, I wonder how much light you can read that screen in? i.e. sunlight/ambient daylight etc.

Pretty cool with all the apps you can put on it too!!

Carigamers

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 08:20:49 PM »

* ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Crimson609: yea everything cool how are you?
    August 10, 2022, 07:26:15 AM
  • Pain_Killer: Good day, what's going on with you guys? Is everything Ok?
    February 21, 2021, 05:30:10 PM
  • Crimson609: BOOM covid-19
    August 15, 2020, 01:07:30 PM
  • Shinsoo: bwda 2020 shoutboxing. omg we are in the future and in the past at the same time!
    March 03, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
  • TriniXjin: Watch Black Clover Everyone!
    February 01, 2020, 06:30:00 PM
  • Crimson609: lol
    February 01, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
  • Skitz: So fellas how we go include listing for all dem parts for pc on we profile but doh have any place for motherboard?
    January 24, 2020, 09:11:33 PM
  • Crimson609: :ph34r:
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:28 PM
  • Crimson609: Big up ya whole slef
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:17 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like Link
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:14 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Kitana
    January 20, 2019, 09:22:39 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Chappy
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:53 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul Like Minato
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:48 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like XJin
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:53 PM
  • protomanex: Shout out to man like Crimson
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:44 PM
  • Crimson609: shout out to gyal like Corbie Gonta
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:06 PM
  • cold_187: Why allur don't make a discord or something?
    December 03, 2018, 06:17:38 PM
  • Red Paradox: https://www.twitch.tv/flippay1985 everyday from 6:00pm
    May 29, 2018, 09:40:09 AM
  • Red Paradox: anyone play EA Sports UFC 3.. Looking for a challenge. PSN: Flippay1985 :)
    May 09, 2018, 11:00:52 PM
  • cold_187: @TriniXjin not really, I may have something they need (ssd/ram/mb etc.), hence why I also said "trade" ;)
    February 05, 2018, 10:22:14 AM

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal