Author Topic: Bias lighting, your eyes will thank you for it  (Read 2709 times)

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 3770
  • GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070
  • RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR3 2166MHz
  • Broadband: FLOW
  • Steam: W1nTry
  • XBL: W1nTry
Bias lighting, your eyes will thank you for it
« on: August 30, 2011, 11:10:08 AM »
How many of us game in a dark room with none but our monitors glaring a plethora of colours, intensity and shadow effects? *W1nTry raises hand*. If you game with the lights on ALL the time, you clearly have a room all to yourself, if not and you're like me and you game in the dark have you ever giving thought to bias lighting?
To be fair I game with a night light on all the time now (so I can see peripherals like the keyboard or where my cables to my headset are on the console). So maybe i've been inadvertently doing this, but I digress. I came across this article on ars (a fav of mine) and I think many who suffer devious eye aches and potentially headaches as a result of gaming may benefit from this article, have a go at it:

Bias lighting and your computer monitor: $13 for more comfortable gaming
By Ben Kuchera | Published a day ago
Bias lighting and your computer monitor: $13 for more comfortable gaming

It's hard to stare at a computer monitor for hours after dark, with the rest of the lights turned off in your home or office. Still, this is how many of us play games, myself included. When Antec offered to send the soundscience halo 6 LED bias lighting kit—which is a long official name—I had nothing to lose. If it didn't work, I could write a short, snarky post dismissing it as hokum. If it did work, my eyes would be more comfortable.

The $13 product came in a small box, and it took under a minute to install. You simply remove the adhesive backing from the 14.5 inches of LED lighting, attach to the back of your monitor, and connect the cable to an empty USB port. The strip lit up, I sat down, and began an epic six-hour gaming session for my Deus Ex: Human Revolution review.

Before I share my thoughts, I wanted to check out if other people were using similar solutions. Timothy J. Seppala writes for Sound and Vision, and he's often who I turn to when it comes to setting up new displays or purchasing monitors. When I purchased my last television, a Panasonic plasma screen, he told me about the pluses of bias lighting, and when I asked his thoughts on this story, he seemed a trifle annoyed I was only just now adding lighting hardware to my setup. This is a man who gives people test patterns the way my grandmother gives people lemon candies.
That hardware itself is just over a foot long, and features around four feet of cable to connect to your PC

"It works because it provides enough ambient light in the viewing area that your pupils don't have to dilate as far. This makes for less eyestrain when a flashbang gets thrown your way or a bolt of lightning streams across the screen," he told Ars. "Because the display is no longer the only object emitting light in the room, colors and black levels appear richer than they would in a totally black environment. Bias lighting is key in maintaining a reference quality picture and reducing eye-strain."
This is how the screen looks with a game playing. The ambient light increases relative contrast on the screen, making colors appear brighter and blacks deeper

After doing more research I found this is why movie theaters aren't completely dark, and the effect is more pronounced when viewing a 3D image, due to the dimmer screen. I was surprised at the results: my eyes did feel better after long sessions on the computer, and even the muscles of my face felt more relaxed. The next night I tried my marathon session without the lights and found I was right back to strained eyes and discomfort by the end of my gaming. It's always possible there's a placebo effect at play here, but after trying both ways, the results were both immediate and strong: the lighting helps.

The effect isn't an industry secret, and you can try this yourself if you have a set of LED lights to attach to the back of your monitor. Antec's product is easy to use, works well, and is inexpensive. This only makes sense if you do heavy computing or gaming at night, but for those who are active on their computers at that time or want to improve the lighting conditions in their home office, there are certainly worse ways to spend $13.

And let's be fair if you can spend 300 USD on a video card, a few extra $ can't hurt to help STOP the hurt on your eyes.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/08/bias-lighting.ars

Carigamers

Bias lighting, your eyes will thank you for it
« on: August 30, 2011, 11:10:08 AM »

Offline Redlum08

• Global Moderator
  • Sannin
  • Chakra 10
    • Xbox One, Wii U, Xbox 360, Wii, 3DS XL
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 720QM
  • GPU: nVidia GeForce GTS360M VRAM 1 GB
  • RAM: 6 GB 1066Mhz
  • Broadband: Wideband - Time Warner Cable New York 50Mbps Download and 5Mbps Upload
  • Origin ID: RedlumTT
  • PSN: RedlumTT
  • XBL: RedlumTT
Re: Bias lighting, your eyes will thank you for it
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 11:12:47 AM »
Well my monitor has an LED Strip at the bottom of the screen that glows a different color depending on the setting...

Carigamers

Re: Bias lighting, your eyes will thank you for it
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 11:12:47 AM »

* ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Crimson609: yea everything cool how are you?
    August 10, 2022, 07:26:15 AM
  • Pain_Killer: Good day, what's going on with you guys? Is everything Ok?
    February 21, 2021, 05:30:10 PM
  • Crimson609: BOOM covid-19
    August 15, 2020, 01:07:30 PM
  • Shinsoo: bwda 2020 shoutboxing. omg we are in the future and in the past at the same time!
    March 03, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
  • TriniXjin: Watch Black Clover Everyone!
    February 01, 2020, 06:30:00 PM
  • Crimson609: lol
    February 01, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
  • Skitz: So fellas how we go include listing for all dem parts for pc on we profile but doh have any place for motherboard?
    January 24, 2020, 09:11:33 PM
  • Crimson609: :ph34r:
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:28 PM
  • Crimson609: Big up ya whole slef
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:17 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like Link
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:14 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Kitana
    January 20, 2019, 09:22:39 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Chappy
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:53 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul Like Minato
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:48 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like XJin
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:53 PM
  • protomanex: Shout out to man like Crimson
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:44 PM
  • Crimson609: shout out to gyal like Corbie Gonta
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:06 PM
  • cold_187: Why allur don't make a discord or something?
    December 03, 2018, 06:17:38 PM
  • Red Paradox: https://www.twitch.tv/flippay1985 everyday from 6:00pm
    May 29, 2018, 09:40:09 AM
  • Red Paradox: anyone play EA Sports UFC 3.. Looking for a challenge. PSN: Flippay1985 :)
    May 09, 2018, 11:00:52 PM
  • cold_187: @TriniXjin not really, I may have something they need (ssd/ram/mb etc.), hence why I also said "trade" ;)
    February 05, 2018, 10:22:14 AM

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal