Author Topic: Are Consoles Dead?  (Read 20569 times)

Offline phoenix31tt

• Kage
  • Chakra -2
    • PS3
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz
  • GPU: Sapphire 5970
  • RAM: 12GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
  • Broadband: Flow
  • PSN: phoenix_31tt
  • XBL: phoenix31tt
Re: Are Consoles Dead?
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2012, 01:27:54 PM »

Double the speed and rendering capability of today's best GPU. What more can anyone want after that?  At the risk of saying the world will never need any more that 640K ram, I'll say the world will never need more than 1080p

U real fail there.. U quote something that turn out to be laughable and untrue and then turn around and make the same statement? Really... Just like the guy that figure 640k of ram would be enough u are putting a self thought limit on tech... Better than that man

Carigamers

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2012, 01:27:54 PM »

Offline phoenix31tt

• Kage
  • Chakra -2
    • PS3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2012, 01:32:14 PM »
And wintry, dont get me wrong eh I not denying that mobile advance very quickly, just saying that PC and console will always be a step ahead, and as messiah said, even if we use that dock thing you thinking about, most of the tech would be IN the dock, not the mobile device, and then that might as well just be a console right?...

Offline MessiaaH

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 6
    • :ps3: :wii:
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
  • CPU: i7 3930k @ 5.0GHz
  • GPU: 3 * Nvidia GTX 680 (Liquid Cooled)
  • RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengence
  • BattleNet ID: MessiaaH / 350
  • XBL: MesssiaaaH
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2012, 01:44:19 PM »
If u have all that tech in d dock, why d need to give up ur phone just to play games?
mite as well juss install ah OS on d dock and call it ah day lol.

Offline Arcmanov

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 126
  • Gamer/Enthusiast
    • :n64: :gcn: :dreamcast: :xbox360: :computer:
    • View Profile
    • Arcmanov's rig
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.3 GHz
  • GPU: 2 x [Gigabyte] GeForce GTX 1070
  • RAM: 4 x 8GB G.Skill.TridentZ RGB DDR4-2400
  • Broadband: :flow:
  • MBL: LG V20
  • Origin ID: Arcmanov
  • PSN: Arcmanov
  • Steam: Arcmanov
  • XBL: Arcmanov
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2012, 01:54:38 PM »
I personally like the idea of a configurable, upgradeable dock that you can slot your mobile device into.  Asus has their 'PadPhone' concept, which is sort of a mobile example.

Could that sort of platform replace a full-blown desktop PC?  I hope not :laughing7:

Could it eventually replace the console as we know it?  It's very possible, but the tech has a long way to go to realize THAT dream.  That, I will not argue with, but I think it would be myopic for the industry to dismiss this concept entirely.

SwiftKeyed from my Samsung Galaxy S2 with Tapatalk
Systems United Navy - Accipiens ad Astra

Offline phoenix31tt

• Kage
  • Chakra -2
    • PS3
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2012, 01:59:28 PM »
What about the fundamentals of what a console provides arc?.. Simplicity, no upgrades etc and u know all ur games working... An upgradeable dock is nothing more than a PC with a phone port no?

Btw, if the dock is needed for the mobile device to perform at a console level, is it a mobile feature? Lol
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 02:03:47 PM by phoenix31tt »

Carigamers

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2012, 01:59:28 PM »

Offline MessiaaH

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 6
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2012, 02:08:54 PM »
@ Arc, Ah yes, FINALLY! some logical thinking. Agreed.

But the dock idea currently (padaphone) is meant to give that laptop like experience using d power of ur smartphone. Usability and battery life extension. Right now companies focused on increasing d power of d mobile phone itself, d industry not even looking in d direction of a power dock to augment d power of d phone. The interest in mobile advancement is focused towards more mobility, DLNA to TVs, being more productive on d road, better communication technologies, etc. A required dock to game is kinda d opposite approach of where the smartphone industry is headed.

With the right power, i could see a smartphone+dock replacing a non-gaming laptop.
But d idea of a power dock packing gpu and shit, is something else entirely.

Edit:

Hell, even laptops, which are gaming machines already, are becoming rare, becuase d industry is pushing towards mobility and battery life, sleak, slim, tender. Ultrabooks everywhere, gaming laptops are few and far between.
And very expensive. Industry is moving away from the ideals that a gpu packing powerdock provides. it eh happening, sorry.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 02:28:02 PM by MessiaaH »

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • :ps3::wii::xbox360:
  • Referrals: 35
    • View Profile
    • http://www.carigamers.com
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
  • GPU: Geforce GTX 680 2GB
  • RAM: 16GB
  • MBL: Nexus 5x
  • PSN: TriniXaeno
  • XBL: TriniXaeno
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2012, 02:27:40 PM »
not so fast messiaah.

You telling me the PS5 won't have lifelike graphics (granted Sony survive long enough to release it)

I'm pretty sure you'll be eating that statement.

@ phoenix.....I carefully used the word "need" and not want.

You'll notice that even right now...with PCs being vastly superior in graphics and power to consoles...gamers the world over are still choosing the consoles.

Why is that? Because they don't NEED the power of the PC to get their game on.

The developers have taken note of that and hence cater to the console crowd BEFORE the PC crowd. Imagine now, its a big deal when a developer takes special time out to say they are going to provide a special PC interface, lol. That is where we reach. That used to be a given 5 years ago. Now it's the exception, not the rule.

Fast forward 10 years.

Again, the arcade never caught itself after the consoles achieved its level.

What makes you think the consoles will be spared that wrath?

Vicious cycle is bound to continue. Just a matter of time.

I figure 10 years will be enough time for that to happen. Mark these words.

Offline shivanandrs

• AdvancedTactics
  • Jonin
  • Chakra 45
    • Xbox 360
    • View Profile
  • CPU: i7 2600K @ 4.6GHz
  • GPU: MSI GTX 580 Twin Frozr II
  • RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz
  • Broadband: Blink Broadband
  • Origin ID: shivanandrs
  • Steam: shivanandrs
  • XBL: shivanandrs
Re: Re: Are Consoles Dead?
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2012, 02:35:36 PM »
Once games reach lifelike graphics, gpu progress would have hit a very real ceiling.

Nah man. Graphics is just a small part of making games lifelike. Some proper textures and lighting would do the trick.

Have you seen some of those mods for the original Crysis from back in 2008? Have you seen the level of detail of the car models, textures and lighting in forza 4? Have you flown in FSX using a properly modeled A330 over a piece of high quality payware scenery? Try the GTA 4 ENB Series mod.

I sometimes can't tell the difference between game and real-life...that is until you start playing. Getting lifelike looking games is clearly possible on todays hardware and is in no way the limit of GPU potential.

Sent from my Xperia arc using Tapatalk

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2012, 02:40:12 PM »
I don't follow.

Are you saying we have already reached the ability to render lifelike graphics with this generation?

Offline phoenix31tt

• Kage
  • Chakra -2
    • PS3
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2012, 02:43:06 PM »
@ wyatt.. i'm confused now yes... i thought u say consoles have a long long way to go yet... 10 years is that long way?...

needless to say.. what point are you really arguing... you saying that wintry makes a good point with the docks...

i'm saying ok cool.. if the docks include extra gpu and cpu cycles to augment the mobile device... then how is it any different from a console... it is NOT mobile.. as the MOBILE cant do the thing, it need a dock to help...

additionally i'm saying.. if the dock is upgradeable and configurable... then it defeats the very fundamentals of a console... the arcade has been replaced but the fundamentals remain the same.. the arcade was a place for ppl to play game and play games with friends... we do that now @ home so arcades outlive they use, but yet still the FUNDAMENTAL thinking still applies...

Offline MessiaaH

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 6
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2012, 03:04:31 PM »
Modern day arcades = XBL and PSN. arcade eh gone no where, ppl could juss cockup and do it now. lol.

and @ Wyatt and Shiv regarding lifelike graphics.
I game @ 2560*1600 with every option known to man enabled, and also applies all d hacks, mods, hd shit available. i know d current level of pc graphics.

And i am 500% certain, that in 10 years, we will NOT have lifelike graphics.
I really dont know what alyuh men calling lifelike.
But until i can see a Game NPC stand up infront me on d monitor, and i cant tell d difference between that NPC and a real life actor in a hollywood movie, then that is NOT lifelike.

And we are no where CLOSE to having that ability from a single pc, nor will 10 years be enough time to acomplish it. We need 50 years at least to reach there. D industry juss doh work so. Console itself have ah lifecycle of 6-10 years. D PS4 is going to have what, ah gtx 580 for d most. That going to last 7 years easy. U going to jump from that to lifelike at d end of d ps4 cycle? No, u are not. and d PS5 will last another 7 years, which brings us to 14 years, and we eh close yet.

And this is PC we talking bout. U want me to believe ah mobile phone in 10 years going to be so lifelike it woudlnt matter if u have ah pc or not? rofl lmao bhrabhrahbarhbra.

This argument geting more and more retarded.
And like phoenix, im confused. I started this thread and u jump in saying consoles will not die, not even close. Now it sounds like u saying consoles will suffer an inevitable death as arcades did.

Make up yuh mind, u saying consoles going to die, they not going to die? what?

and even when we achieve lifelike grapichs, it still have holodecks to consider, and direct neural stimulation. A gap will always exist.

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2012, 03:08:31 PM »
@ phoenix

1) yes, I think 10 years is enough time for:

a) consoles to reach the 1080p lifelike "limit" required for games. Beyond which, the returns are intangible.

b) for mobile platforms (iphone 9, ipad 7, android OS chuck norris beard, wp13) to be viable gaming platforms that can compete with the PC / Console if not render them irrelevant altogether

2) I think W1n has presented an option that is very possible. A dock is not 10 years away. Note, that is current generation technology he is referencing. It may not be popular now. In fact, It may never become popular....but it is a reality.

Personally, I love the idea of having a kick ass "one ring" device to call phone/pc/camera/console. In the interim, I don't mind docking that to get access to a big screen / keyboard / mouse / game pads for a desktop like experience. Or maybe, do so wirelessly for the peripherals using bluetooth and only dock for the HDMI. If that dock includes a module for enhanced graphics by way of a mobile ATI 6950 or Nvidia GTX555, that would be cool too.

We already see motherboards that carry double graphics cards. Using power saving integrated video for day to day tasks and switching to power hungry high end discrete graphics for gaming.

That is intelligent.

I see that as making perfect sense for my mobile "one ring" device as well. Why tote around all that battery draining, graphical horsepower which I won't use while mobile anyway??? Rendering graphics on a 960x540 AMOLED screen hardly warrants it. When I'm at home docked and connected to an AC outlet, hell yeah. Bring on the pixel crunching.

Best of all. If the future goes down this path, we'd be justified in shelling out that sort of cash for these smart phones. US$600 - 800 for a PC, Gaming Machine, 1080p Still and Video Camera and Phone is a steal of a deal!

@ Messiaah. I disagree that consoles are going to die now or anytime in the near future.

I do agree that consoles can be made irrelevant for the masses by the proliferation of gaming capable mobile devices in the future (10 years+). Namely tablets, mobile phones, netbooks, laptops, etc...

I think your idea of lifelike maybe different from mine. Maybe some screenshots would better establish a baseline. (I'll go look for some shortly)

* TriniWyatt was last scene in the future running Dota 3 off his docked Motorolla Droid 7
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 03:14:16 PM by TriniWyatt »

Offline phoenix31tt

• Kage
  • Chakra -2
    • PS3
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2012, 03:18:18 PM »
1. sigh... keep calling it one MOBILE device then u start mentioning a dock with additional power... am i missing something???...

2. as i said before.. it is very POOR of you.. to say.. 20 years ago people was saying nobody needs more than 640k... and they were DEAD WRONG... yet still you saying that lifelike 1080p is all people will need and benefits will be intangable??... POOOORR... somebody thinking just as you are was saying 640*480 is enough musbe was saying the same thing... but regardless... resolution is only one aspect.. and a minimual asspect.. is all the filters and textures is what you need to consider...

but still i must re-emphasize... you yuhself say somebody put a limit on hardware before... and you doing the SAME thing and feel you right... is like people who watch history and say well... they were wrong back then.. but i right now ^o).. under the same exact circumstances...

even when lifelike is achieavable on a SCREEN... the next phase will be for it to come out as a holographic image... then a solid holographic image (a la star trek holodeck)...
common wyatt... i doubt.. i really doubt u that short sited...

when your mobile projecting holograms... guess what.. your console or pc will be able to slap you with a real hand ;)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 03:24:00 PM by phoenix31tt »

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2012, 03:26:38 PM »
@ phoenix

1) Yes, I am referring to mobile devices in general. W1ntry, referred to a dock as another option. I love that idea but they are two separate points. You follow? Don't think of them as "one". They are two separate concepts posted by two separate people.

2) I am fully aware that the 640K ram statement was proved wrong years after Bill made the assertion. In many ways, as a lover of technology, PCs and game consoles, I hope my statement is also proven wrong. I am sure Bill has a chuckle to himself when he recalls the day he uttered those words. Take it as a challenge to the universe to keep the flames alive.

*edit* found the graphics

Let me present exhibit A

1st picture. NBA Live 1995
2nd Picture. NBA Live 2012
3rd Picture. Futuristic impression of NBA Live 2017 (A real life shot of an NBA game today)

Notice the difference 5 years can make.

In fact, I would say the 2017 "real life graphics" is less of a stretch than the jump we saw from 1997 to 2012.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 03:44:18 PM by TriniWyatt »

Offline MessiaaH

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 6
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2012, 03:39:55 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
LifeLike.

when your mobile projecting holograms... guess what.. your console or pc will be able to slap you with a real hand ;)

BHRABRHABRHABRHABRHABRAHRB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AGREED!

Wyatt, im sure the first time you saw quake 3 your jaw dropped, you coulndt believe how realistic it look. Same thing happen as gaming progressed. Every new significant iteration of visuals, yuh was like, WAYYYYEEEE THAT LOOK REL REALL. 10 years from now you'll be having the same reaction, wayyeee that look rel real. but it is very very very short sighted to think, that 10 years from now will be d limit. Until graphics look like that picture above i post, then there is no limit.
Also as phoenix mention, there is a whole level beyond games on a monitor looking lifelike.

And if u think the visual industry is going to grind to a hault, when they achieve your level of whatever it is u calling lifelike, then i have no idea what to say to u again, cause logic would not apply lol. It is not a scientific physiology atal. Its an idiotic one.

Science in general will continue to advance until we realize its all pointless, evolve to light beings, and gg.

captainchris

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2012, 03:40:36 PM »
I don't follow.

Are you saying we have already reached the ability to render lifelike graphics with this generation?

Life like can come in many different cans. One of those would be the ability to "behave" life like.

For eg. DiRT3 ....

The graphics are great, but the gameplay ( car behaviour ) is awesome! Accelerate to hard? That is ok, you will just end up in a ditch. Break to soon and tune? Small thing man, nothing wrong with redecorating your front bumper. Lifelike is already on the way, it is not just for graphics.

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2012, 03:47:50 PM »
hahhaa @ halle berry.

I think we are closer to that in games than you care to admit boy Messiaah. Had some BESS walking around in Mass Effect 3. Good thing they didn't make a Mass Effect 4 yes, cause some men wives might have left them for virtual horn.

I agree with LTChiney, I think Life life is upon us.

Based on the screen shots posted above with the NBA game example especially. Hard to refute that messiaah. Come on, give jack his jacket. Ah work hard to find those pics (3 minutes on google). lol

As for quake, I knew the graphics looked good....but they did not look lifelike. You kept thinking...I can't wait to see how the graphics will look in Quake 2....I can't wait for Quake 3......you could imagine Quake 4!! etc...

As of this generation...(Battlefield 3 especially) I no longer have that itch.

I feel as though games are on the cusp of fidelity in the graphics department. By next generation...done deal.

Don't get me wrong.....there will always be people wishing to take it to the extreme. Like audiophiles who will spend US$1000 on headphones to hear two notes that weren't rendered capably by US$159 cans. More power to them. The masses however, will thoroughly enjoy the mainstream level of audio (and graphics), without complaint.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 03:52:34 PM by TriniWyatt »

captainchris

« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2012, 03:58:44 PM »
As you mention BF3. A falling body killing you? That is WIN right there. Games came a long way and will continue to push harder.

Offline MessiaaH

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 6
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2012, 04:05:14 PM »
You cannot compare audiophiles to this. Because as far as audio reproduction, we rel cutting edge.
But you want me to watch them basketball pics and call them lifelike? you gone from fig leaf to dasheen leaf?

It take so much super computers to pull off visuals of the hulk. and even hulk could still look more real. and Hulk is not realtime generated. U want to tell me, in a mere 10 years. My pc , let alone meh phone rofl. Go be able, to give me a playable controllable enhanced hulk. in a world populated with NPCs looking reacting like that, in REALTIME, from ah pc?

rofl lmao bhrahbrahbarhb. My word.

And like i keep saying, a point u seem to continually ignore.
Even when im playing a game populated by hally-berry NPCs, there is STILLLLLLLLL another level beyond that, HOLODECKS. and then there is a level beyond that, and beyond that. THings u cant even think of yet.

And technology will continue to advance. And no matter how good a mobile device looks, a pc will always always always be better.

As phoenix said, when you mobile phone is able to project holographic fighters, and u fighitng ah next man on his phone runin street fighter 100x Tekken. and alyuh swetin and could pass alyuh hand throuhg d holograams whiles flinging uppercut. Even when we reach there. You pc at home will be able to uppercut your ass for real.

You telling me, you dont see mandkind advancing to that point?

Offline VirtueTT

• AdvancedTactics
  • Sannin
  • Chakra 80
  • To each his own...
  • Referrals: 5
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 @ 3.3 Ghz
  • GPU: MSI AMD R9-280X 3GB
  • RAM: 16 GB G.Skill RipjawX @ 1600 Mhz
  • BattleNet ID: VirtueTT#1129
  • MBL: Motorola Moto G 16GB
  • Origin ID: VirtueTT
  • Steam: VirtueTT
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2012, 04:13:32 PM »
Is it poor that i read more on these forums than my text books?

I agree with Messiaah and phoenix. Unless the aliens that built the egyptian and mayan temples/pyramids come back to drop off some new technology, I personally don't see it happening in 10 years.

The whole concept of lifelike, yes sim games get physics down pretty good in the case of racing sims, but when you can't tell if you're really driving a car or playing a video game, is where i think that ceiling is hit. You'd have to of course factor in force feedback and audio into that equation as well.

With regards to the MOBILE devices that W1nTry is so hard pressed on, i have to agree with phoenix again. How can it be mobile if i need to hook up to a dock to get the "best" experience to play a game. It'll be a portable console. I have to buy a couple hundred US tablet/phone then buy the peripherals and if i want to MOVE around to play and have the same experience every time, i have to carry everything with me? I personally don't see it having much practicality behind it.

However, i don't see consoles dying any time soon. We fail to forget something here. What we think is good graphics, some people have never even seen. The average gamer, which is what Wyatt pointed out, is not looking to play at 1080p. You hand him a remote, he plays for hours. I know men who can't see the difference between PS3, 360 and PC graphics. So where we the PC gamers and familiars can tell and appreciate the differences, the majority of gamers may not necessarily look for those qualities from a game or console. Men still hard sweating DOTA 1 and SC1 with them shit graphics? Why? Because at the end of the day, people will still play the game they love and know regardless of how it looks.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 04:17:38 PM by VirtueTT »
"Live life for the sake that others may have Life. Love for the sake that others may know love" - NLF

Carigamers

« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2012, 04:13:32 PM »

* ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Crimson609: yea everything cool how are you?
    August 10, 2022, 07:26:15 AM
  • Pain_Killer: Good day, what's going on with you guys? Is everything Ok?
    February 21, 2021, 05:30:10 PM
  • Crimson609: BOOM covid-19
    August 15, 2020, 01:07:30 PM
  • Shinsoo: bwda 2020 shoutboxing. omg we are in the future and in the past at the same time!
    March 03, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
  • TriniXjin: Watch Black Clover Everyone!
    February 01, 2020, 06:30:00 PM
  • Crimson609: lol
    February 01, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
  • Skitz: So fellas how we go include listing for all dem parts for pc on we profile but doh have any place for motherboard?
    January 24, 2020, 09:11:33 PM
  • Crimson609: :ph34r:
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:28 PM
  • Crimson609: Big up ya whole slef
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:17 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like Link
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:14 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Kitana
    January 20, 2019, 09:22:39 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Chappy
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:53 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul Like Minato
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:48 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like XJin
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:53 PM
  • protomanex: Shout out to man like Crimson
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:44 PM
  • Crimson609: shout out to gyal like Corbie Gonta
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:06 PM
  • cold_187: Why allur don't make a discord or something?
    December 03, 2018, 06:17:38 PM
  • Red Paradox: https://www.twitch.tv/flippay1985 everyday from 6:00pm
    May 29, 2018, 09:40:09 AM
  • Red Paradox: anyone play EA Sports UFC 3.. Looking for a challenge. PSN: Flippay1985 :)
    May 09, 2018, 11:00:52 PM
  • cold_187: @TriniXjin not really, I may have something they need (ssd/ram/mb etc.), hence why I also said "trade" ;)
    February 05, 2018, 10:22:14 AM

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal