Author Topic: Surface Pro pricing  (Read 5611 times)

Offline Arcmanov

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 126
  • Gamer/Enthusiast
    • :n64: :gcn: :dreamcast: :xbox360: :computer:
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcmanov's rig
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.3 GHz
  • GPU: 2 x [Gigabyte] GeForce GTX 1070
  • RAM: 4 x 8GB G.Skill.TridentZ RGB DDR4-2400
  • Broadband: :flow:
  • MBL: LG V20
  • Origin ID: Arcmanov
  • PSN: Arcmanov
  • Steam: Arcmanov
  • XBL: Arcmanov
Surface Pro pricing
« on: September 05, 2013, 09:55:59 AM »
Topic has been split from the original thread  Nokia Lumia 1020 : 41MP! Windows Phone

Awww...you guys' defence of windows phone is so admirable...it really is.

In the middle of all that adulation...beg them to make a KitKat phone fuh we too nah?  :laughing7:

...and price is a MAJOR factor why Surface Pro has not sold as much as it should have.
That...and the whole Windows 8 design f*#kery.

Most people watch that, and then bought an iPad, Android tablet, or regular-ass laptop.

What M$ SHOULD have done is price the thing to aggressively compete with their biggest competition...yes those same iPads and Android tablets, and people (me included) woulda be trampling one another to get one.
Instead...they playing Apple, and feel that everybody go eat Crix for a year to own a Surface.  Bad strategy.

As nice as the Surface Pro's hardware is...there's nothing compelling about it that can drive people's decisions in the direction of wanting it.

If you and Microkia can't see that, well I hope they prepared to write off more losses.
Surface price need to come down some more...like 200 US more.

For a company as big as they are, full a big people wit sense,  some of their decision-making is astonishingly asinine at times.

I still want a Surface Pro, but not for that price.  Gimme a tablet/type-cover bundle for 600 US, and THEN we could have words.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 | Omega v17 I SwiftKey | Tapatalk 4
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:32:47 AM by phoenix31tt »
Systems United Navy - Accipiens ad Astra

Carigamers

Surface Pro pricing
« on: September 05, 2013, 09:55:59 AM »

Offline MessiaaH

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 6
    • :ps3: :wii:
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
  • CPU: i7 3930k @ 5.0GHz
  • GPU: 3 * Nvidia GTX 680 (Liquid Cooled)
  • RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengence
  • BattleNet ID: MessiaaH / 350
  • XBL: MesssiaaaH
Re: Surface Pro pricing
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 10:11:25 AM »
Arcman, there is aggressive pricing, and then there is being stupid. You suggestion, is being stupid.

Every other OEM in the world, sells their similarly speced Pro Hardware for more than d price of a surface, significantly more i mite add, the next closet thing to the surface hardware is the Dell XPS 12, and d starting price is 1300 bones.

How in God's name u expect microsoft to sell surface pro class hardware for 600$ ? They not making money on add's like google, they cant afford to subsidize d things so much. And if that's what u waiting on, u could keep waiting, because that will never happen, it makes no business sense. They mite loose some money in d market in the short term. but like u just refuse to see that MS dont think short-term, they does think longterm. And in the long run, yuh go see why they make the decision they make. Uncle Bill is not the richest man in the world by guess.

The suraface rt coudl have been cheaper, if they built cheap shit hardware like samsung. A lesson HTC learning now. But sad is d day when all tech companies sacrifice quality for sales. I just so glad d Galaxy Note 3 have some sort of substantial build quality to it.

But all that aside, it's unreasonable to sell d hardware in d surface for 600$ d losses incured will be too great. MS have time to wean theyself in to the market. and for the record, is not just surface pro didnt sell as good, all PC oems didnt sell as good. It have nothing to do with MS pricing, it have to do with d fact that apple cutting serious ass with d ipad.
I dont know what OEMs coudl do to battle that, but i can tell u, they CANNOT afford to sell PC grade hardware for d same price as an ARM based tablet. It NOT! going to happen. Once u have an I5/i7 chip in their, expect a premium price from d start. (Btw, d flagship dell xps 12 is ah cool 1800$ eh lol.)

And Microsoft still making a shit ton of money, d company not in trouble, d way alyuh making it out u sware MS on they way out, lolol. Them fellers good. Whether u buy ah surface or not lol. In d end u go own one, whether it be surface 2 or 3, u go own one, wait and see.

And of corse if a surface pro was 500$ alyuh go be fighting over it, d same way if a GTX Titan was 500$ man woulda be slashing each other to get one, but it not going to happen. It does not make business sense. When nokia enters the tablet race, maybe they go drive prices down at the low end to aquire large numbers (aka lumia 510), but yuh not going to see flagship class hardware going for that cheap. Sorry.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:58:37 AM by MessiaaH »

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • :ps3::wii::xbox360:
  • Referrals: 35
    • View Profile
    • http://www.carigamers.com
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
  • GPU: Geforce GTX 680 2GB
  • RAM: 16GB
  • MBL: Nexus 5x
  • PSN: TriniXaeno
  • XBL: TriniXaeno
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 11:14:27 AM »
lol @ MicroKia

I agree that the surface needs to reach US$600 but I also agree it can't achieve that price point today.

In a year or two, yes....and THEN I will buy one.

Unless Santa Claus feels particularly generous sometime before that happens.

I fear for them because in that time their will be HUGE momentum for the alternatives. People will be bending backwards delivering solutions based around the cheap androids and ipads.

A runaway train that Microsoft may very well never catch. Finding themselves in no mans land come 2015 with that Surface Pro.

The number of apps people use that require a full fledged PC is quickly shrinking.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:16:48 AM by TriniWyatt »

Offline phoenix31tt

• Kage
  • Chakra -2
    • PS3
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz
  • GPU: Sapphire 5970
  • RAM: 12GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
  • Broadband: Flow
  • PSN: phoenix_31tt
  • XBL: phoenix31tt
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 11:18:50 AM »
The number of apps people use that require a full fledged PC is quickly shrinking.

Wyatt... in that case then the surface RT and Microsoft ARM devices will be relevant don't you think?

What killed RT is the Marketing and differentiation by microsoft, if they had sold it as just Microsoft surface, a windows tablet at that price it probably would've sold just fine. It's amazing how easily ignorance can be used to gain public acceptance and sales.

Everybody was waiting around for the surface pro because the RT was marketed/promoted as incomplete, but when the Pro dropped at that price point it was hard for people to justify purchasing a "tablet" at that price, even though it is significantly more than a tablet.

People that are using iPad's clearly dont require desktop apps, but still they saw the lack of a traditional desktop on the RT as a game-breaker lol.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:28:06 AM by phoenix31tt »

Offline Arcmanov

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 126
  • Gamer/Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Arcmanov's rig
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 11:31:02 AM »
Say what you will about my comment.

My argument has been borne out by the price cut.  In my opinion, it's still not enough.

lol @ MicroKia

I agree that the surface needs to reach US$600 but I also agree it can't achieve that price point today.

In a year or two, yes....and THEN I will buy one.

Unless Santa Claus feels particularly generous sometime before that happens.

I fear for them because in that time their will be HUGE momentum for the alternatives. People will be bending backwards delivering solutions based around the cheap androids and ipads.

A runaway train that Microsoft may very well never catch. Finding themselves in no mans land come 2015 with that Surface Pro.

This guy gets it.

Microkia needs to provide a more solid incentive for Surface Pro to fly off the shelf.
$899...and Windows 8...ain't cutting it.

Carigamers

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 11:31:02 AM »

Offline phoenix31tt

• Kage
  • Chakra -2
    • PS3
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz
  • GPU: Sapphire 5970
  • RAM: 12GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
  • Broadband: Flow
  • PSN: phoenix_31tt
  • XBL: phoenix31tt
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 11:36:08 AM »
Say what you will about my comment.

My argument has been borne out by the price cut.  In my opinion, it's still not enough.

Microkia needs to provide a more solid incentive for Surface Pro to fly off the shelf.
$899...and Windows 8...ain't cutting it.

i think everybody agrees that a lower price point will see sales surge, but that lower price point is not reasonable at this time, and may not be until the surface 2 is released.

on a side note, surface pro 128gb can be had for as low 800usd

Offline MessiaaH

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 6
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 11:58:24 AM »
Of corse MS needs to do more for it to fly off store shevles, but like wyatt say, it not reasonble to expect d price u want at this time. And i tellin u now, even at 500$, that surface pro sales woudlnt be much differnet. Is a different battle than price going on here. Wyatt and Phoenix touch on it. Is plenty things involed. Not just price.

Even if MS coudl have afford it, magically selling d surface at 500$ dont mean they would have been sucessful.
HTC Android devices is same prices as anybody else own ent? Guess what, they getting they ass cut same way.

Price is just 1 part of the problem, is a whole collective of things involved in a product's success.

At 500$ You personally mite have run out and buy it, what make u think d rest of d world was buying a "Microsoft Surface' over ah ipad just becuase it's d same price?

The price of d device is not d only problem, and quite frankly is not d most important problem to solve.
Marketing, Eco-System, Apps are way more important. (Is why apple coudl be bussing man eye with price and it still selling). The majority of the tech internet thinks the HTC One is a better device than the gs4, that din stop samsung marketing from burying them.

Microsoft not there yet, but they will get there, they make shit-tons of money in other areas of there business, they can afford to "get it right" over time.

Offline MessiaaH

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 6
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 12:31:24 PM »
BTW, an Ipad 64gb is $683 http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Retina-Display-MD512LL-VERSION/dp/B009W9APU0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378398377&sr=8-1&keywords=ipad+64gb

a Surface Pro 64gb is $800 http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.275287300?WT.mc_id=USHH

Thats 117$ more for a tablet that running a full windows operating system. that can run any of the millions of desktop applications avaialbe.

You honestly telling me, alyuh men think that price still too high? lololol. You have got to be kidding me.

For the specs it have, and what it can do, i think 1000$ baseline for any i5/7 based Pro device is resonable and fair.
And i dont think that baseline goign to change anytime soon. Surface 2 (and all competitin OEMs) will launch at $900~1000 price range. A few months later the prices go drop, just like it did for the surface 1. That pricing model is not going to change. What u mite see is cheaper speced pro devices (running clovertrail etc) that can compete in the 500~600$ price range, but u not going to see no flagship laptop hardware (yes, thats what d surface pro is, a laptop) launching at no 600$.

Like i said, price is not d problem here, it mite be your problem arcman, but is not general consumers problem.

Alyuh men constantly underestimating the impact marketing and messaging does have on sales. If MS had Apple/Samsung marketing team, ah bet yuh every last surface sell lol.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 12:42:22 PM by MessiaaH »

Offline Arcmanov

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 126
  • Gamer/Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Arcmanov's rig
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 01:15:07 PM »
I won't deny the marketing aspect, but at the right price, a product will market itself.

Such a shame... Microkia coulda 'messastsu-gou-hadou' the market with a bess price, but chooses to remain aloof, while the competition rakes it in.

Ballmer doin the right thing.   Just retire and ress we nah.   :laughing7:

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 | Omega v17 I SwiftKey | Tapatalk 4

Offline MessiaaH

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 6
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 01:23:40 PM »
Well all arrows pointing to Elop being CEO, and he turn nokia from a rappidly plummeting company back into a profitable one.
We go see what he can do with the wheel at Microsoft.

And again, even if microsoft coudl have undercut everybody and wtapwn d market, we come right back to what microsoft is.
A partner based company. If microsoft undercut dell, hp, sony, samsung, asus, acer, lg, (etc etc etc) by such a huge margin, what u think d long term ramifications would be?

I'll tell u, if they undercut everybody like that, d surface pro betters suceed, cuase that go be d end of they partnerships. It is toooooooooooo risky. You just watching from a consumer standpoint, but strategically from a business standpoint, there is nothing microsoft can do. They were forced to make d Surface not cause they want too, cause they were forced too. And they were forced to buy Nokia, not cuase they want too, cause they were forced too.

Their OEm partners on d phoen side not doing much of anything, so they coudl faster afford to share some licks there (i hoping they do). But on d PC side, they cant do they OEM partners that.

Unless the market collectively agrees, (including intel and amd) to sell i5/i7 class hardware for dog price, microsoft cant soley do it, unless they fully prepared to do it ALONE (like apple doing it alone). And if they happen to be sucessful with such a move, what happens to the rest of companies that dont have d bank to compete at that level? I'll tell u what go happen to them.....RIMstruction, thats what.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 01:27:46 PM by MessiaaH »

Offline MessiaaH

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 6
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 02:17:33 PM »
Also, keep in mind, d original purpose of the Surface was never really for sales eh.

OEMs built windows 7 machines, slap ah touchscreen on it and slap ah windows 8 sticker and call it george.
MS built d surface to show their partners the vision of windows 8 devies, and how to build them.
No other OEM even comes close to the surface's build quality, sexyiness utility and design.

And 1 year later i think MS actually acheive the origial goal of the surface, case in point, watch this sexy biatch right here:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/04/sony-vaio-tap-11-hands-on/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=Feed_Classic&utm_campaign=Engadget&ncid=rss_semi

« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 04:05:58 PM by MessiaaH »

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • :ps3::wii::xbox360:
  • Referrals: 35
    • View Profile
    • http://www.carigamers.com
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
  • GPU: Geforce GTX 680 2GB
  • RAM: 16GB
  • MBL: Nexus 5x
  • PSN: TriniXaeno
  • XBL: TriniXaeno
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 08:44:16 PM »
I agree on the not wanting to piss off the oems but they must surely understand that the oem model is dead on the PC front.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/post-pc-era-means-mass-extinction-for-personal-computer-oems/20514

Hardly worth losing precious ground to Apple and Android over it.

And dont look @ the 64gb ipad. The real competition is coming from the 16gb wifi model which is insanely popular @ a respectable US$400

Apple iPad 2 MC769LL/A

Competing squarely with the Nexus 10 also priced @ $399.99

Two devices to which Microsoft has no answer.

With every passing day, the masses keep snapping these up (along with the Kindle) and creating a thriving ecosystem totally divorced from the redmond camp.

As mobile devices become more powerful and capable and with that the appearance of more robust apps, a windows surface pro will become less and less relevant. Burgeoning cloud services isn't helping either and RT didn't quell the tide at all.

A perfect storm yes. Microsoft has their work cut out for them on the mobile battlefield, that is for sure.

Offline MessiaaH

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 6
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 09:00:40 PM »
^^ Agreed.

Which is why MS said RT isn't going anywhere, it needs RT to succeed to compete at those pricepoints.
The hardware required for pro to run briss like that, just too expensive right now.
A few generations down d road things will be better. Also keep in mind this is MS first PC and it not even a year old.
Can anyone remember d horrible mess that was the nexsus 1?
I do, that phone was literally painful.

Microsoft only now enter d game because they OEM partners doing shit. Lets see what MS can do. And outlasting every other OEM in the hardware game was very impressive for a first run. Now comes refinements, price drops etc. And still they would have something on the premium side for men like me.

Carigamers

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 09:00:40 PM »

* ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Crimson609: yea everything cool how are you?
    August 10, 2022, 07:26:15 AM
  • Pain_Killer: Good day, what's going on with you guys? Is everything Ok?
    February 21, 2021, 05:30:10 PM
  • Crimson609: BOOM covid-19
    August 15, 2020, 01:07:30 PM
  • Shinsoo: bwda 2020 shoutboxing. omg we are in the future and in the past at the same time!
    March 03, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
  • TriniXjin: Watch Black Clover Everyone!
    February 01, 2020, 06:30:00 PM
  • Crimson609: lol
    February 01, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
  • Skitz: So fellas how we go include listing for all dem parts for pc on we profile but doh have any place for motherboard?
    January 24, 2020, 09:11:33 PM
  • Crimson609: :ph34r:
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:28 PM
  • Crimson609: Big up ya whole slef
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:17 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like Link
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:14 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Kitana
    January 20, 2019, 09:22:39 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Chappy
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:53 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul Like Minato
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:48 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like XJin
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:53 PM
  • protomanex: Shout out to man like Crimson
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:44 PM
  • Crimson609: shout out to gyal like Corbie Gonta
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:06 PM
  • cold_187: Why allur don't make a discord or something?
    December 03, 2018, 06:17:38 PM
  • Red Paradox: https://www.twitch.tv/flippay1985 everyday from 6:00pm
    May 29, 2018, 09:40:09 AM
  • Red Paradox: anyone play EA Sports UFC 3.. Looking for a challenge. PSN: Flippay1985 :)
    May 09, 2018, 11:00:52 PM
  • cold_187: @TriniXjin not really, I may have something they need (ssd/ram/mb etc.), hence why I also said "trade" ;)
    February 05, 2018, 10:22:14 AM

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal