Author Topic: The Division: Should you buy it?  (Read 3704 times)

Offline VirtueTT

• AdvancedTactics
  • Sannin
  • Chakra 80
  • To each his own...
  • Referrals: 5
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 @ 3.3 Ghz
  • GPU: MSI AMD R9-280X 3GB
  • RAM: 16 GB G.Skill RipjawX @ 1600 Mhz
  • BattleNet ID: VirtueTT#1129
  • Broadband: :flow:
  • MBL: Motorola Moto G 16GB
  • Origin ID: VirtueTT
  • Steam: VirtueTT
The Division: Should you buy it?
« on: March 25, 2016, 10:16:06 AM »
Tom Clancy's: The Division launched about 2 weeks now and has a a world of pros and cons.  This post is by no means a full or critical review but just a heads up for those who were interested in playing it in the near future.

There are a few things before I list it out for you. If you've played Assassin's Creed, any Splinter Cell game, Watch Dogs and Borderlands... you've already played The Division.  Note the first 3 are all Ubisoft titles. Why would I make such a comparison? Because they more or less fused all those games into one which was a good and bad thing...no parkour =(.  The concept of a Cover Based 3rd Person MMO RPG Loot Shooter is "unique" in a raw sense but the game itself is definitely not any special. Once you've played for an hour. You've more or less experienced the majority of the game minus the Dark Zone.

Most of these points will probably apply across all Platforms (PC, PS4, XB1), but I will have points that don't affect the consoles or PC and vice versa.

The Pros:
- Beautiful game. Visuals are great even on medium settings. On High and Ultra it's downright beautiful.
- Optimized for PC
^ See... PC points  :sassy:
- Enjoyable... with friends
- Different yet familiar
- Rewarding. Loot drops all around. 
- Story line concept is terrifying if it ever came true. Not the best RPG'ing ever but it wasn't bad.
- You can change the language for the Audio to Japanese and it feels like you're in an anime XD
- Cover system works (for the most part)

The Cons:
- VERY repetitive. Level 1 to 30 is more or less the same mission.. over.. and over... and over..

DELTA ERRORS....  This actually seems to be ISP specific from preliminary investigations.  A Delta Error in this game is supposed to signify that there's an issue connecting to Ubisoft's servers.  I play with a group of 12+ friends on PC. Since Tuesday's Patch, everyone on Flow will take anywhere from 10 minutes to 10 hours to get into the game due to connection issues.  That ONE friend with Blink as his ISP has seen the Delta Error...once... It could just be coincidence that Flow decided to mess up since Tuesday or it does indeed have something to do with the patch

- BUGS! BUGS everywhere! From falling through the ground to gear disappearing to missions stalling at one point because the door cannot be opened.  Ubisoft has a shit ton of work to do with this game.  If I had to list out all the bugs currently affecting proper gameplay, it'll be a forum website on it's own.

- Hackers in the DZ.  The Dark Zone is supposed to be the highlight of this game.  The PVP zone where you'll always be on edge of someone going Rogue and trying to take your nice things. It makes for an interesting dynamic in the game and they still have some work to do on it to balance it BUT when you have Rogues one shotting you with an SMG from 30+ meters away with the Security Link active (80% damage reduction buff)... something is wrong..  Currently there's no "punkbuster" to detect hackers so they're just running the DZ to shit. I'm staying away from it for now.

- End Game Content? - Currently their idea of this is doing "daily" missions in the same missions you've done just at a higher difficulty..  There's one Challenging Mode to be done and 2 Hard Modes to be done that reset every day at 8:00 PM our time. Again.. Rinse and repeat.  And as stated above for the DZ.. well... Yea.. 

They're set to launch an "Operation" which is supposed to be raid type encounter but judging by the rest of the game, I won't speculate until I actually get to play it in April. I fear it may be like the other 15 missions that were a rinse and repeat expect harder.

- Threat System.. So if you've played any other MMO you'd know about "threat" or "aggro".  It's a players ability to have the enemy units target you instead of your teammates so that your teammates could kill them without being shot at. It doesn't quite work... There is a "tank" build that is supposed to attract fire but you could not shoot a single round of over a minute and the second you put your head out.. *BANG*.. you're bleeding out or even dead because that one NPC decided he didn't like you.

Verdict:

Yes I'm aware that the cons overshadow the pros at this point in time but that's how I feel about the game.  If it looks like i nitpicked it's because I did.  As an avid PC gamer and long time MMO player (played WoW for 8 years or so), this game fails to reproduce what studios like Blizzard have almost perfected and set the bar for.  Ubisoft has a lot of work to do on this game over the next few months. Especially before their paid DLC launches.  Which I hope is different to the base game in terms of rinse and repeat. In fact. Once all the things above are fixed then the game will be pretty damn good.

I do find they paid TOO MUCH attention to the level of detail in the game with the environments when they could have been working on the gameplay...

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy the game. Despite all the negatives. Biggest peeve is waiting to see if I can actually play. Delta is my new best friend... I'm very inclined to say that it's actually Flow causing the grief because their service has been terrible lately. Even DOTA 2 we're all experiencing massive random lag spikes.

I advise if you do want to pick it up, like Destiny, it'll hopefully be gtg in a few months after several patches.  Biggest tip is that if you want to purchase it on PC I advise you use EA's Origin Client.  There you can get the base game and season pass for $65 USD ($40 USD Base Game, $25 USD Season Pass) opposed to Steam which is $60 USD and $40 USD respectively. Go EA?

https://www.origin.com/en-mx/store/buy/tom-clancys-the-division/pc-download/base-game/gold-edition
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 10:18:20 AM by VirtueTT »
"Live life for the sake that others may have Life. Love for the sake that others may know love" - NLF

Carigamers

The Division: Should you buy it?
« on: March 25, 2016, 10:16:06 AM »

Offline Arcmanov

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 126
  • Gamer/Enthusiast
    • :n64: :gcn: :dreamcast: :xbox360: :computer:
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcmanov's rig
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.3 GHz
  • GPU: 2 x [Gigabyte] GeForce GTX 1070
  • RAM: 4 x 8GB G.Skill.TridentZ RGB DDR4-2400
  • Broadband: :flow:
  • MBL: LG V20
  • Origin ID: Arcmanov
  • PSN: Arcmanov
  • Steam: Arcmanov
  • XBL: Arcmanov
Re: The Division: Should you buy it?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 11:06:46 AM »
Based on these 'impressions', it seems that unless you have a big squad to rally, you're better off skipping it 'for now', unless Ubisoft games really rustle your jimmies.

Quite a fair and balanced rundown here though.

(+)

SM-N910H | stock, rooted Lollipop v5.0.1 | SwiftKey | Tapatalk Pro

Systems United Navy - Accipiens ad Astra

Carigamers

Re: The Division: Should you buy it?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 11:06:46 AM »

* ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Crimson609: yea everything cool how are you?
    August 10, 2022, 07:26:15 AM
  • Pain_Killer: Good day, what's going on with you guys? Is everything Ok?
    February 21, 2021, 05:30:10 PM
  • Crimson609: BOOM covid-19
    August 15, 2020, 01:07:30 PM
  • Shinsoo: bwda 2020 shoutboxing. omg we are in the future and in the past at the same time!
    March 03, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
  • TriniXjin: Watch Black Clover Everyone!
    February 01, 2020, 06:30:00 PM
  • Crimson609: lol
    February 01, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
  • Skitz: So fellas how we go include listing for all dem parts for pc on we profile but doh have any place for motherboard?
    January 24, 2020, 09:11:33 PM
  • Crimson609: :ph34r:
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:28 PM
  • Crimson609: Big up ya whole slef
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:17 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like Link
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:14 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Kitana
    January 20, 2019, 09:22:39 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Chappy
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:53 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul Like Minato
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:48 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like XJin
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:53 PM
  • protomanex: Shout out to man like Crimson
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:44 PM
  • Crimson609: shout out to gyal like Corbie Gonta
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:06 PM
  • cold_187: Why allur don't make a discord or something?
    December 03, 2018, 06:17:38 PM
  • Red Paradox: https://www.twitch.tv/flippay1985 everyday from 6:00pm
    May 29, 2018, 09:40:09 AM
  • Red Paradox: anyone play EA Sports UFC 3.. Looking for a challenge. PSN: Flippay1985 :)
    May 09, 2018, 11:00:52 PM
  • cold_187: @TriniXjin not really, I may have something they need (ssd/ram/mb etc.), hence why I also said "trade" ;)
    February 05, 2018, 10:22:14 AM

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal