Author Topic: Fahrenheit 9/11  (Read 4498 times)

Offline carlsberg

• Jonin
  • Chakra 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11
« on: May 25, 2004, 07:14:22 PM »
Documentarian Michael Moore sets his sights on President George W. Bush's response to the terrorist attacks masterminded by Osama Bin Laden.

"Fahrenheit 9/11" was the first documentary to win Cannes' prestigious Palme d'Or since Jacques Cousteau's "The Silent World" in 1956.

"What have you done? I'm completely overwhelmed by this. Merci," Moore said after getting a standing ovation from the Cannes crowd.

"Fahrenheit 9/11" took the prestigious Palme d'Or amid sharply divided Cannes moviegoers, who found a solid crop of good movies among the 19 entries in the festival's main competition but no great ones that rose to frontrunner status.

While "Fahrenheit 9/11" was well-received by Cannes audiences, many critics felt it was inferior to Moore's Academy Award-winning documentary "Bowling for Columbine," which earned him a special prize at Cannes in 2002. Some critics had speculated that if "Fahrenheit 9/11" won the top prize, it would be more for the film's politics than its cinematic value.

With Moore's customary blend of humor and horror, "Fahrenheit 9/11" accuses the Bush camp of stealing the 2000 election, overlooking terrorism warnings before September 11 and fanning fears of more attacks to secure Americans' support for the Iraq war.

Moore appears on-screen far less in "Fahrenheit 9/11" than in "Bowling for Columbine" or his other documentaries. The film relies largely on interviews, footage of U.S. soldiers and war victims in Iraq, and archival footage of Bush.                    
JIHAD

Carigamers

Fahrenheit 9/11
« on: May 25, 2004, 07:14:22 PM »

Offline snake_eater

• Chunin
  • Chakra 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dcxtreme.itrini.com
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 07:44:38 PM »
i want to see this.........i heard it critizes bush real bad                    

Offline PapaSmurf

• Ancient
  • Sannin
  • Chakra 0
    • View Profile
    • http://deathtofanboyishspammahs.gatt.co.tt
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 09:27:53 PM »
I would like to see this film as well.
Not because it is Anti Bush...but because it contains some new histographical date relating to the war in Iraq and the events preceeding 9/11.

Should make for interesting discussion.                    
Zetsumyoken......the Miracle Sword descends

Offline Kayode

• Jonin
  • Chakra 0
    • View Profile
    • http://
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2004, 11:03:32 AM »
Here's an article about the Moore's work and his politicis by Roger Ebert. On point as always.

'9/11': Just the facts?

June 18, 2004

BY ROGER EBERT FILM CRITIC  

A reader writes:

"In your articles discussing Michael Moore's film 'Fahrenheit 9/11,' you call it a documentary. I always thought of documentaries as presenting facts objectively without editorializing. While I have enjoyed many of Mr. Moore's films, I don't think they fit the definition of a documentary."

That's where you're wrong. Most documentaries, especially the best ones, have an opinion and argue for it. Even those that pretend to be objective reflect the filmmaker's point of view. Moviegoers should observe the bias, take it into account and decide if the film supports it or not.

Michael Moore is a liberal activist. He is the first to say so. He is alarmed by the prospect of a second term for George W. Bush, and made "Fahrenheit 9/11" for the purpose of persuading people to vote against him.

That is all perfectly clear, and yet in the days before the film opens June 25, there'll be bountiful reports by commentators who are shocked! shocked! that Moore's film is partisan. "He doesn't tell both sides," we'll hear, especially on Fox News, which is so famous for telling both sides.

The wise French director Godard once said, "The way to criticize a film is to make another film." That there is not a pro-Bush documentary available right now I am powerless to explain. Surely, however, the Republican National Convention will open with such a documentary, which will position Bush comfortably between Ronald Reagan and God. The Democratic convention will have a wondrous film about John Kerry. Anyone who thinks one of these documentaries is "presenting facts objectively without editorializing" should look at the other one.

The pitfall for Moore is not subjectivity, but accuracy. We expect him to hold an opinion and argue it, but we also require his facts to be correct. I was an admirer of his previous doc, the Oscar-winning "Bowling for Columbine," until I discovered that some of his "facts" were wrong, false or fudged.

In some cases, he was guilty of making a good story better, but in other cases (such as his ambush of Charlton Heston) he was unfair, and in still others (such as the wording on the plaque under the bomber at the Air Force Academy) he was just plain wrong, as anyone can see by going to look at the plaque.

Because I agree with Moore's politics, his inaccuracies pained me, and I wrote about them in my Answer Man column. Moore wrote me that he didn't expect such attacks "from you, of all people." But I cannot ignore flaws simply because I agree with the filmmaker. In hurting his cause, he wounds mine.

Now comes "Fahrenheit 9/11," floating on an enormous wave of advance publicity. It inspired a battle of the titans between Disney's Michael Eisner and Miramax's Harvey Weinstein. It won the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival. It has been rated R by the MPAA, and former New York Gov. Mario Cuomo has signed up as Moore's lawyer, to challenge the rating. The conservative group Move America Forward, which successfully bounced the mildly critical biopic "The Reagans" off CBS and onto cable, has launched a campaign to discourage theaters from showing "Fahrenheit 9/11."

The campaign will amount to nothing and disgraces Move America Forward by showing it trying to suppress disagreement instead of engaging it. The R rating may stand; there is a real beheading in the film, and only fictional beheadings get the PG-13. Disney and Miramax will survive.

Moore's real test will come on the issue of accuracy. He can say whatever he likes about Bush, as long as his facts are straight. Having seen the film twice, I saw nothing that raised a flag for me, and I haven't heard of any major inaccuracies. When Moore was questioned about his claim that Bush unwisely lingered for six or seven minutes in that Florida classroom after learning of the World Trade Center attacks, Moore was able to reply with a video of Bush doing exactly that.

I agree with Moore that the presidency of George W. Bush has been a disaster for America. In writing that, I expect to get the usual complaints that movie critics should keep their political opinions to themselves. But opinions are my stock in trade, and is it not more honest to declare my politics than to conceal them? I agree with Moore, and because I do, I hope "Fahrenheit 9/11" proves to be as accurate as it seems.

Copyright © Chicago Sun-Times Inc.

The bold part is exactly how I felt/feel about Moore's work. The guy who said Michael Moore's work is "the truth" should take a read of this. Of course, even the famous "Truth About Columbine" page has plenty untruths in it, so I guess it's up to the reader.                    

Offline Rommel

• Kage
  • Chakra -1
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 12:33:46 AM »
like you a Michael Moore fan

but what about your own country

let us clean house first before we look to our neighbours

and don't tell me Bush is responsible for the crap UNC/PNM and others does get away with

the responsibility is our own                    
~~Plague~~
                          ~~Bubba~~
~~HQ United~~
                          ~~L2 Outsiders~~
~~Team Z~~

the legacy continues....

Carigamers

Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 12:33:46 AM »

Offline Flippant

• Chunin
  • Chakra 0
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 11:28:24 AM »
now i think moore is biased and uses emotional arguments just like his opponents
but i would still like to see it to see what points he makes. some of them may be valid                    

Offline Kayode

• Jonin
  • Chakra 0
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 11:39:54 AM »

You...actually read that column or my comments?

and don't tell me Bush is responsible for the crap UNC/PNM and others does get away with

You ever see me imply anywhere on this forum that Bush is to be blamed for the state of local politics? You know anything about me or my attitude toward local politics?

Yuh feel yuh talkin to some kinda fool or what?

And what does this have to do with local politics? If I wanted to talk about that, I'd open a thread about it.

Anyway...back on topic.                    

Offline Ninja644

• Jonin
  • Chakra 0
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 09:12:52 AM »
I wanna see this movie cuz i found Bowling for Columbine very very very interesting. At first i had no idea what the hell i was watching. But after the first 15 mins. I was sucked into this documentry. I think what makes Moore's films so good is his style of shooting. It isn't formal and boring. He's always changin around the topics never keeping it long and drawn and making good historical refernces. Wonder if this movie coming down here... i would actually pay money to go an see it                    

We're not hitmen. We're Federal Intellectual Assasins. We be the F.I.A.

Offline Kayode

• Jonin
  • Chakra 0
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 10:40:37 AM »
Might come to Movie Towne but I rather d/load it than go to cinma and see it. It will gimme a chance to rewind and pause...and pick hard truth from spin. Sigh.                    

Offline Rommel

• Kage
  • Chakra -1
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2004, 12:33:27 AM »
I did not mean you Kayode  :damnit:                    
~~Plague~~
                          ~~Bubba~~
~~HQ United~~
                          ~~L2 Outsiders~~
~~Team Z~~

the legacy continues....

Offline strongton

• Chunin
  • Chakra 0
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2004, 10:55:58 AM »
bush is one stupid man, he goin and get real pong in this documnetation, but most likely he still will get re-elected because yuh cant leave the oil behind
i wonder what they doin to sadamn now????                    

Offline carlsberg

• Jonin
  • Chakra 0
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2004, 12:02:19 PM »
probably wat dey did to d iraqi's

if u noe wat i mean                    
JIHAD

Offline manos

• Genin
  • Chakra 0
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2004, 06:16:45 PM »
This looking real good
I have never been real crazy about George Bush so I anxious to see what Moore has to say
If it anything like Bowling for Columbine i expect it to be dread                    

Offline Genicide

• Genin
  • Chakra 0
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2004, 01:27:09 AM »
ppl  sayin gud tings  bout dis
so i want to see it                    
your nobody till  somebody kills you..

Offline Lost_Soul

• Genin
  • Chakra -2
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2004, 11:31:40 PM »
The way this went up on the charts so quickly is scary. Considering the small amount of screens it opened in. I want to see it.                    

Offline Rommel

• Kage
  • Chakra -1
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2004, 01:09:01 AM »
stewps

people as it has been said before

the man's facts not all that straight

but don't let me tell you what to believe

make up your own minds to have the propagandist Moore tell you what to believe

right.....                    
~~Plague~~
                          ~~Bubba~~
~~HQ United~~
                          ~~L2 Outsiders~~
~~Team Z~~

the legacy continues....

Offline wesleigh

• Jonin
  • Chakra -16
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wesleighadams.tripod.com
Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2004, 05:36:56 PM »

but what about your own country

let us clean house first before we look to our neighbours

the responsibility is our own

dis man right but in a sense de president of usa in kinda like de president of de world because of of his control base so we hadda at least pay some kinda attention to dis

but mike moore if u was to ask me personally - although i not in any position to criticize cause i never really take in fully his material - i tink he really after money too :derangd:                    

Carigamers

Fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2004, 05:36:56 PM »

* ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Crimson609: yea everything cool how are you?
    August 10, 2022, 07:26:15 AM
  • Pain_Killer: Good day, what's going on with you guys? Is everything Ok?
    February 21, 2021, 05:30:10 PM
  • Crimson609: BOOM covid-19
    August 15, 2020, 01:07:30 PM
  • Shinsoo: bwda 2020 shoutboxing. omg we are in the future and in the past at the same time!
    March 03, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
  • TriniXjin: Watch Black Clover Everyone!
    February 01, 2020, 06:30:00 PM
  • Crimson609: lol
    February 01, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
  • Skitz: So fellas how we go include listing for all dem parts for pc on we profile but doh have any place for motherboard?
    January 24, 2020, 09:11:33 PM
  • Crimson609: :ph34r:
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:28 PM
  • Crimson609: Big up ya whole slef
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:17 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like Link
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:14 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Kitana
    January 20, 2019, 09:22:39 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Chappy
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:53 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul Like Minato
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:48 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like XJin
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:53 PM
  • protomanex: Shout out to man like Crimson
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:44 PM
  • Crimson609: shout out to gyal like Corbie Gonta
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:06 PM
  • cold_187: Why allur don't make a discord or something?
    December 03, 2018, 06:17:38 PM
  • Red Paradox: https://www.twitch.tv/flippay1985 everyday from 6:00pm
    May 29, 2018, 09:40:09 AM
  • Red Paradox: anyone play EA Sports UFC 3.. Looking for a challenge. PSN: Flippay1985 :)
    May 09, 2018, 11:00:52 PM
  • cold_187: @TriniXjin not really, I may have something they need (ssd/ram/mb etc.), hence why I also said "trade" ;)
    February 05, 2018, 10:22:14 AM

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal