Author Topic: Next Generation Gaming: For Fun  (Read 1335 times)

Offline disciple

• Ancient
  • Kage
  • Chakra 15
  • deus est caritas
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Athlon 64 X2 4000+
  • GPU: RADEON 3650 512 DDR3
  • RAM: 6 GB PC6400
Next Generation Gaming: For Fun
« on: May 16, 2006, 10:40:04 PM »
We have witnessed video game “console wars” since the 1980’s. In every battle for supremacy only one common rule has applied: games are supposed to be fun.

The winner of the console war has the largest user-base containing hardcore gamers, “fan boys”, casual gamers, “me too” trend followers, and your average consumer.

Graphics and sound were the themes of the 4th through 6th generation of console gaming (16-bit console era and beyond). Each new console produced revolutionary visuals and sound quality. Today’s gamers request a slightly different primary feature: multi-user network-centric gaming. Mind blowing graphics and sound are merely the foundation for a new product and are assumed to be of the highest quality.

Multiplayer gaming is fun and video gaming is all about the fun. This year at E3 Nintendo made it clear that they are building a gaming machine that revolves around fun games. Graphics are important, but they are not the primary reason a person buys video games anymore (especially with games costing $60.00). Once upon a time eye candy could sell a game, but as all systems “candy” starts to blend together we feel the urge to move on from immaturity and start looking for games with content, game play, and fun factor. In a sense, we’re starting to go back to our roots.

We are starting to grow up....

http://www.2old2play.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=291&mode=&order=0&thold=0

fully agree with this guy's pov, esp about sony's ill timed and forced blu -ray adoption scheme.. 

Carigamers

Next Generation Gaming: For Fun
« on: May 16, 2006, 10:40:04 PM »

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • :ps3::wii::xbox360:
  • Referrals: 35
    • View Profile
    • http://www.carigamers.com
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
  • GPU: Geforce GTX 680 2GB
  • RAM: 16GB
  • Broadband: :flow:
  • MBL: Nexus 5x
  • PSN: TriniXaeno
  • XBL: TriniXaeno
Re: Next Generation Gaming: For Fun
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 11:26:11 PM »
It's a good article, especially the part about Sony and Blu-Ray but some bits are rubbish.

For starters, we have always known and always stated that gaming should be fun, primarily......eye candy secondary.

That mantra has never changed. From Atari days to now.

Yes, the marketing types will always use the latest bells and whistles to attract people to their wares.

Yes, game designers will include said bells and whistles in an attempt to be ahead of the curve

Yes, eye candy fan boys will rant and rave about how cool the water looks

but at no point has the industry resigned itself to feeding our eyes only. Every step of the way, gameplay and fun has remained a paramount goal. Those who missed the mark, paid the price in terms of horrible reviews and lack lustre sales.

Come on, this guy is just stating the obvious here. It is just as true today as it was 5 years ago.

gameplay, gameplay and more gameplay.

As far as innovation in game mechanics representing a "next generation" he is totally out of his mind.

That is the realm of the game developer and not the console creator.

Sure Nintendo's next Generation Mario Bros game could simply use the same graphics but have him riding a horse and swinging a sword....but if they tried to palm that off as a next gen console, they will be laughed out of E3.

The system MUST be considerably more powerful than it's predecessor to be considered Next Gen. That will give developers the headroom to make better games.

Providing additional hardware (like the LaserGun and Bongo Drum) to foster even more innovation is a welcome accessory but that alone won't qualify as NextGen.

my $0.34

Offline disciple

• Ancient
  • Kage
  • Chakra 15
  • deus est caritas
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Athlon 64 X2 4000+
  • GPU: RADEON 3650 512 DDR3
  • RAM: 6 GB PC6400
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 08:30:47 AM »
i should have qualified my statement more.. :-)

with the exception of nintendo, lately , to me it has just been 'more of the same' with a new version number slapped on it, albeit with better graphics

nintendo and sega had always been about pushing the envelope of gameplay , with mixed results by the public, but critical acclaim(mostly sega).

yes nintendo of all companies lives a lot on its franchises, but almost all the games differed quite a bit from previous incarnations, enough to keep the series fresh and alive

i don't think it needs to be considerably more powerful than it's predecessor... when does more power equal more fun?  thas just the ability to churn out better graphics faster.. yeh it looks sweeter, but the game itself could very well be a turd.. 

more hardware is a mixed bag.. is normally kinda expensive, made for one or two games and collects dust..
BUT makes that game you bought it for much better ( like the maracas for samba de amigo, DC)

or you have where both 1st party and 3rd party developers avoid it like the plague ( sega's 32X) and you the customer stuck with a bad taste in yuh mouth and a lighter wallet

i still believe that an innovation in game mechanics is worthy of it being next gen.. because with the exception of 'better graphics', what else differentiates the game from the previous outings?   we've all saved the princess, stopped the maniac from destroying the world, collected the crystals and wiped out the germans in normandy.... after a while.. that becomes extremely repetetive...

thas my 2c , as a extremely casual gamer

but the wii is geared towards us, i believe, and thas why a lot of us excited about it :-)

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • :ps3::wii::xbox360:
  • Referrals: 35
    • View Profile
    • http://www.carigamers.com
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
  • GPU: Geforce GTX 680 2GB
  • RAM: 16GB
  • Broadband: :flow:
  • MBL: Nexus 5x
  • PSN: TriniXaeno
  • XBL: TriniXaeno
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 09:17:15 AM »
Just like you said, more hardware under the hood does not necessarily mean "more fun" but it holds the potential for "more fun" and is quantifiable.

The key word there is QUANTIFIABLE without question.

As in, 256MB ram > than 128MB ram.

2 Billion Terraflops/s > 1 Billion Terraflops/s

Using those, it is easy to come to terms with a "next gen" moniker. Nothing subjective about those figures.

On the other hand, innovation in gameplay is extremely subjective. You may love beating on those little bongo drums in Donkey Konga whereas I will think it is complete and utter balls. Next Gen for you. Not Next Gen for me.

Again, Nintendo has played the 1UP game just the same. MarioKart and Mario Brothers have not improved so drastically from their predecessors. Fresh coat of paint, new item or two. New game mechanic or two.

"Insert rival console game here" has done the same.

Some examples:
Prince of Persia 1 - 3
Halo 1 - 2
Tekken 1 - 5

All maddeningly fun games (by my opinion of course)

Nintendo knows this. The DS has to be considerably more powerful than the gameboy to remain relavent. Same for the WII. It does not have to power a nuclear missile, but it better have some eye candy to match with the innovations to be considered next gen. Else they would be left in the dust by all but the greatest fan boi.

Carigamers

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 09:17:15 AM »

* ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Crimson609: yea everything cool how are you?
    August 10, 2022, 07:26:15 AM
  • Pain_Killer: Good day, what's going on with you guys? Is everything Ok?
    February 21, 2021, 05:30:10 PM
  • Crimson609: BOOM covid-19
    August 15, 2020, 01:07:30 PM
  • Shinsoo: bwda 2020 shoutboxing. omg we are in the future and in the past at the same time!
    March 03, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
  • TriniXjin: Watch Black Clover Everyone!
    February 01, 2020, 06:30:00 PM
  • Crimson609: lol
    February 01, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
  • Skitz: So fellas how we go include listing for all dem parts for pc on we profile but doh have any place for motherboard?
    January 24, 2020, 09:11:33 PM
  • Crimson609: :ph34r:
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:28 PM
  • Crimson609: Big up ya whole slef
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:17 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like Link
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:14 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Kitana
    January 20, 2019, 09:22:39 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Chappy
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:53 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul Like Minato
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:48 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like XJin
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:53 PM
  • protomanex: Shout out to man like Crimson
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:44 PM
  • Crimson609: shout out to gyal like Corbie Gonta
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:06 PM
  • cold_187: Why allur don't make a discord or something?
    December 03, 2018, 06:17:38 PM
  • Red Paradox: https://www.twitch.tv/flippay1985 everyday from 6:00pm
    May 29, 2018, 09:40:09 AM
  • Red Paradox: anyone play EA Sports UFC 3.. Looking for a challenge. PSN: Flippay1985 :)
    May 09, 2018, 11:00:52 PM
  • cold_187: @TriniXjin not really, I may have something they need (ssd/ram/mb etc.), hence why I also said "trade" ;)
    February 05, 2018, 10:22:14 AM

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal