Author Topic: Saddam Hussein sentenced to hang - and its ramifications  (Read 5166 times)

Offline Saxito Pau

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 15
  • Worms will never die!
    • Original NES
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-3770
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX2.0
  • RAM: Crucial Tracer 16GB DDR3-1600
  • BattleNet ID: SaxitoPau#1996
  • Broadband: Flow 60Mbps
  • Steam: Saxito Pau
Saddam Hussein sentenced to hang - and its ramifications
« on: November 05, 2006, 04:10:33 PM »
Well It seem like the world's gonna get rid of one 'dictator':

An Iraqi court sentenced a shaken but defiant Saddam Hussein to hang on Sunday for crimes against humanity, sparking joy for Shi'ites he oppressed and resentment among his fellow Sunnis across Iraq's violent sectarian divide.

As mortar rounds crashed on warring Baghdad neighbourhoods and police reported sporadic clashes despite a curfew on the capital, Shi'ite Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki called for unity after the ousted leader was handed "the punishment he deserves".

The United States, which set up the court after its invasion toppled Saddam in 2003, called it "a good day for the Iraqi people". U.S. officials again dismissed charges the verdict was timed to aid President George W. Bush's Republicans at elections on Tuesday that have been dominated by dismay at Iraq's turmoil.

Defence lawyers, who said they saw little hope from an appeal in the coming months, dismissed it as "victor's justice".

Saddam, 69, initially refused to stand when brought in to hear the verdict from Kurdish chief judge Raouf Abdul Rahman, at a quickfire, 45-minute hearing. When he did, shakily, with clear emotion, he yelled the defiant Arab battle cry "Allahu Akbar!" (God is Greatest) and "Long live Iraq" as the judgement was read.

CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY

"The court has decided to sentence Saddam Hussein al-Majid to be hanged until he is dead for crimes against humanity," Abdul Rahman said, ignoring Saddam's earlier bombastic plea that he should face a military firing squad, not the hangman's noose.

The judge, who earlier ejected former U.S. attorney general Ramsey Clark from the defence panel after he called the court a "mockery of justice", threw out a court guard for chewing gum and laughing as he stood by the fallen strongman in the dock.

Bearded and tieless in a black suit, and clutching a Koran, Saddam called for "forgiveness" for "aggressors" and "traitors".

A lengthy written verdict is expected later in the week.

The former leader has been sentenced to death before, in absentia for trying to assassinate Iraq's then leader in 1959.

He has been held by U.S. troops at Baghdad airport for three years and any execution, possibly next year, is likely to happen behind prison walls, like those of other criminals this year.

Before then, however, he will continue to stand trial for genocide against the Kurds. He is due back in court on Tuesday.

His half-brother, Barzan al-Tikriti, and former judge Awad al-Bander were also sentenced to death for killing, torturing and deporting hundreds of people from the Shi'ite town of Dujail after Shi'ite gunmen tried to kill Saddam there in 1982.

Former vice president Taha Yassin Ramadan received a life term. Three Baath party officials were jailed for 15 years and an eighth, minor defendant was acquitted for lack of evidence.

Saddam admitted ordering the execution of 148 men, calling it justified in wartime against allies of Shi'ite Iran.

International human rights groups, which had called for the case to be heard abroad, said the killing of three defence lawyers, the resignation of a judge over political interference and flaws in evidence meant that it fell short of a fair trial.

But U.S. and Iraqi officials hailed the year-long process as proof of the independence of Iraq's judiciary and a new landmark in the development of international war crimes law since Nazi leaders were tried, and some hanged, at Nuremberg 60 years ago.

The European Union and the Vatican, firmly opposed to capital punishment, urged Iraq not to hang Saddam.

DANCING FOR JOY

In Shi'ite towns and in parts of Baghdad, people poured into the streets after the televised hearing, dancing and yelling for joy at the fate of the man who oppressed them for three decades.

"The court has delivered justice for my son, who was killed by Saddam," housewife Um Hussain said in the Shi'ite holy city of Najaf as crowds chanted "Death to Saddam! Die you Baathists!"

In Saddam's Sunni home town of Tikrit, dozens of men and boys waved his portrait and chanted the old Baath party slogan "Saddam, Saddam! I give my life and blood for you, Saddam!"

But hundreds of killings a week have left many distracted and indifferent to the leader who long boasted he kept sectarian passions in check -- celebratory gunfire in Baghdad was minimal compared to that heard when Saddam's sons were killed in 2003.

In the northern city of Mosul, where Arabs and Kurds are vying for control, 30-year-old Bahjat, who declined to give his full name out of fear, said: "They have condemned Saddam for the killings that happened when he was president. But who will judge the leaders for the killings that happen every day now?"

The U.S. ambassador, Zalmay Khalilzad, said "closing the book on Saddam and his regime" was a chance for Iraqis to unite.

Somehow i do not think this will do much for Iraq... and I also feel it will be a jusitificaton for certain governments to move in on so-called "threats" like Cuba, N Korea, Iran and Venezuela...

and the Iraq war isn't gonna stop anytime soon.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 04:38:17 PM by SaxMan »
God is dead.

Carigamers

Saddam Hussein sentenced to hang - and its ramifications
« on: November 05, 2006, 04:10:33 PM »

Offline Cowsquad

• Chunin
  • Chakra 2
    • Ps3,PSP,Nes
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
  • PSN: CowSquad
Re: Saddam Hussein sentenced to hang - and its ramifications
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 04:16:19 PM »
saddam gonna swing yes....somehow i feel they wont do it he might just get life in the end

Offline TrinireturnofGamez

• AdvancedTactics
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 12:52:43 AM »
 Bush deserves to swing too eh, but thank God for small mercies , we getting rid of one at least .
  Amazing to see how divided Iraq, ( everyone of one race , one general religion) can be. America has its work cut out for them if they think they can unify the country.
http://freetrinipoetry.blogspot.com/

Core 2 duo E6600
Asus mobo
Radeon HD 4770
2 gigs DDR2 667 + 2 gigs DDR 800 OCZ

Offline Red Paradox

• AdvancedTactics
  • Sannin
  • Chakra 18
  • life on the edge
    • PS4
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/red.paradox
  • CPU: Intel Boxed Core I7-6700K 4.00 GHz 8M Processor
  • GPU: ASUS DUAL RTX 2060 Overclocked 6G VR Ready Gaming Graphics Card – Turing Architecture
  • RAM: HyperX FURY Black 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 2133MHz DDR4
  • BattleNet ID: flip85#1750
  • MBL: Honor 10
  • Origin ID: 85FLiP
  • PSN: Flippay1985
  • Steam: FLiP
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 08:52:04 AM »
Well it's been what, over a decade now......justice shall finally be served!

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 3770
  • GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070
  • RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR3 2166MHz
  • Broadband: FLOW
  • Steam: W1nTry
  • XBL: W1nTry
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 09:19:03 AM »
Actually, what I gather Trini is that even though they are the same race, they are 2 separate factions. The Curds (supposed majority) that was being exterminated in droves and the well.. sunis or whatever. Someone will correct me I am sure. However back to the point. I think there was a great ethnic divide. We all know how different beliefs or variations in said belief can cause grief. So I wouldn't say 1 basic religion so lightly. As for getting rid of him. Well I think karma will get you eventually... however I agree that the peace in iraq is still far off and long in the coming.

If I were to make a reference to other examples where the military occupation of a country eventually paid off. I'd say look to Germany and Japan after the WWII. The have prospered inspite of the many economic and idealistic hurdles they endured after the US and allies won. I think it depends heavily on the people. Whereas Germany and Japan are very united countries (well for the most part as Germany was divided till the wall came down) and thus worked TOGETHER towards a new future. Iraq seems a bit in the medeival ages still hell bent on fighting each other cause my hair doesn't fall the same way as yours... I pray for those lost, and those that will yet be lost. However I pray more importantly for the unification of Iraq and the positive movement of its people forward.

Carigamers

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 09:19:03 AM »

Offline Cross

• Kage
  • Chakra 12
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent
    • Ps3
    • View Profile
  • CPU: 1.73 Core 2 Duo
  • GPU: Intel GMA 945
  • RAM: 2.5GB
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 10:16:38 AM »
True gangsters ask to be shot because.......hanging does hurt

Honestly i don't know what to say about Saddam cause i think it was wrong for bushy to do the country that but saddam was an evil dude..bushy is an evil dude.....manning is an evil dude...

Trouble in this place tonight........BAN....KAI

Offline TrinireturnofGamez

• AdvancedTactics
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 11:24:35 AM »
 They are more or less of the same race , there would be some tribal scruples with people of diferent heritage and slightly different religious persuasion, but its like the genocides in africa, everyone black, but they see a big difference between themselves .
    The arabs have the potential to be a superpower in their own right, they speak the same language , have the same religion , occupy land that is close together and very rich. If they could put aside their differences,  the US and other countries would stop stomping on them , heck, the arabs could start stomping on the US if they wanted .
http://freetrinipoetry.blogspot.com/

Core 2 duo E6600
Asus mobo
Radeon HD 4770
2 gigs DDR2 667 + 2 gigs DDR 800 OCZ

Offline Synchronomyst

• Jonin
  • Chakra 19
  • nihil.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 03:04:41 PM »
You got the general idea there, W1nTry. But a few corrections... it's "Kurds" and it was more of a land grab than an ethnic divide, to my recollection.

...and Saddam was a Seccular leader. He did very well to stop the secterian violence because he killed everyone who was out of line. Not the best way but damn did it work. Look at them now.
What can you do to end the hunger?
It's no surprise that many will die with the coming shortage of food
When there is no grain to feed the butchered cows
When there is nothing to feed yourselves...
Then you will see that money can't be eaten.

-The Locust

Offline Xerotolerant

• Genin
  • Chakra 0
  • study dat next time you cant enter kfc by pushing
    • psp pc?
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Athlon 64x2 3800+
  • GPU: ATi Radeon x1950xt
  • RAM: 2gb
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 06:34:04 AM »
wait nah saddam dead right? who do the sentencing? because he get all his charges dropped. how did that happen? first they kill them then they let him go. i get this weird feeling in mt stomach every time i think about it...

http://www.aljazeera.com/me.asp?service_ID=12787
If automobiles had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." -- Robert Cringely

Offline SPK

• Ancient
  • Sannin
  • Chakra 16
  • You ever wonder why we're here...?
    • Glorious PC Gaming Master Race.
    • View Profile
  • CPU: AMD FX 8320
  • GPU: Sapphire Radeon 7870 2GB
  • RAM: 2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1333.
  • Broadband: Flow.
  • Steam: spk1983tt
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 07:56:37 AM »
Well think about it, what's the purpose in pursuing further charges against him....they didn't 'kill him then let him go'...why the bloody hell are they gonna continue to press charges against a guy that's dead?

If he wasn't hanged, he would still be facing those other charges.
Nagamete iru dake ja, itsumademo te ni dekinai...nagamete iru dake ja, kimi no mono ni wa naranai...

ssssssSSSSSSS...That's a nice everything you got there....SSSSSSS.

Offline Beomagi

• Chunin
  • Chakra 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 11:37:19 AM »
3 - Kurds, Sunnis and Shi'ite.
They have some slightly different beliefs, and that just tears them apart. People like to hate - i'm convinced of it. And it's so ingrained in their society, it's easier to be like everyone else, and hate the other 2 factions.

It's ironic to note Saddam was put in power by the CIA. They wanted the Bath party to take control over the dictator before him.

There's a couple generations more of bloodshed before they get fedup of the violence.
:P random text doesn't go out of date does it?

Offline Synchronomyst

• Jonin
  • Chakra 19
  • nihil.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 08:06:27 AM »
wait nah saddam dead right? who do the sentencing? because he get all his charges dropped. how did that happen? first they kill them then they let him go. i get this weird feeling in mt stomach every time i think about it...

http://www.aljazeera.com/me.asp?service_ID=12787

Al Jazeera. The Fox News of the Arab World... only...much worse. Al Jazeera is nothing, and I insist, NOTHING more than a propoganda machine. I'm reading that articled and there's so many weseal words and so much bias, that it should be an editorial rather than a news article. Clever people...clever...

What can you do to end the hunger?
It's no surprise that many will die with the coming shortage of food
When there is no grain to feed the butchered cows
When there is nothing to feed yourselves...
Then you will see that money can't be eaten.

-The Locust

Carigamers

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 08:06:27 AM »

* ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Crimson609: yea everything cool how are you?
    August 10, 2022, 07:26:15 AM
  • Pain_Killer: Good day, what's going on with you guys? Is everything Ok?
    February 21, 2021, 05:30:10 PM
  • Crimson609: BOOM covid-19
    August 15, 2020, 01:07:30 PM
  • Shinsoo: bwda 2020 shoutboxing. omg we are in the future and in the past at the same time!
    March 03, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
  • TriniXjin: Watch Black Clover Everyone!
    February 01, 2020, 06:30:00 PM
  • Crimson609: lol
    February 01, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
  • Skitz: So fellas how we go include listing for all dem parts for pc on we profile but doh have any place for motherboard?
    January 24, 2020, 09:11:33 PM
  • Crimson609: :ph34r:
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:28 PM
  • Crimson609: Big up ya whole slef
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:17 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like Link
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:14 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Kitana
    January 20, 2019, 09:22:39 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Chappy
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:53 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul Like Minato
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:48 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like XJin
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:53 PM
  • protomanex: Shout out to man like Crimson
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:44 PM
  • Crimson609: shout out to gyal like Corbie Gonta
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:06 PM
  • cold_187: Why allur don't make a discord or something?
    December 03, 2018, 06:17:38 PM
  • Red Paradox: https://www.twitch.tv/flippay1985 everyday from 6:00pm
    May 29, 2018, 09:40:09 AM
  • Red Paradox: anyone play EA Sports UFC 3.. Looking for a challenge. PSN: Flippay1985 :)
    May 09, 2018, 11:00:52 PM
  • cold_187: @TriniXjin not really, I may have something they need (ssd/ram/mb etc.), hence why I also said "trade" ;)
    February 05, 2018, 10:22:14 AM

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal