Author Topic: Nvidia FERMI...  (Read 29621 times)

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 3770
  • GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070
  • RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR3 2166MHz
  • Broadband: FLOW
  • Steam: W1nTry
  • XBL: W1nTry
Nvidia FERMI...
« on: May 05, 2009, 11:39:28 AM »
And the big news IS.... *DRUM ROLL*

It's DELAYED:
GT300 delayed till 2010
GT215/216/218 MIA as well
By Charlie Demerjian
Tuesday, 5 May 2009, 16:25

IT LOOKS LIKE Nvidia engineering is getting right back into its old fighting form once again. The GT300 chip is delayed until 2010, and the GT21x parts seem to be MIA.

The big news is of course the GT300 delay. A few weeks ago it was promising insiders parts in October, a goal that was laughably unrealistic given that the tapeout was set for June. It seems that realism might be poking it's head through the Santa Clara FUD, er... fog, and NV has told those who need to know that it will be Q1 2010 now. Given its timeliness of late, we think it should append a bold "Maybe...." to that though.

We are not sure if it is a delay to the tapeout, or a delay for said fog lifting, but I would bet on tapeout delay. In fact, if I were to shake the magic 8-ball of GPU futures very hard, I would bet that tapeout was delayed, and it is still not being realistic on time to market. That said, as of last week, sources deep inside big green had not gotten their GT300 themed tapeout party hats and related bonus materials (One of these too).

That brings us to the GT215/216/218. They were set for about now earlier this year, then nothing. The silence is deafening. In fact, the silence is so deafening that Nvidia is jumping up and down talking about mobile 40nm parts now instead. We hear it is having massive 40nm yield problems, something you simply can't have for your intended high volume parts.

So, to change the subject, 40nm is all about mobile now! Ignore the fact that ATI has a very successful 40nm part out in the 4770 - Nvidia is telling OEMs to not position 9800 products against that because it can't match the price. The 40nm products that should compete with it are.... Mobile, did we mention Mobile?

We are hearing rumors of an editors day in mid-May, so the usual 2-week time line to introduction puts the 40nm launches at Computex. That means Nvidia won't have a competitive part in the meat of the market for almost all of Q2.

But all is not lost, we also hear Jen-Hsun is being tapped for a Hot Chips 21 keynote. That should be a morale booster for the green team, and if minor miracles happen, he might even have early silicon to show off. Given the rest of Nvidia's competitive situation, that will be the (singular) bright spot for Nvidia in the near future. µ
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1052025/gt300-delayed-till-2010

Carigamers

Nvidia FERMI...
« on: May 05, 2009, 11:39:28 AM »

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
    • View Profile
Re: Nvidia FERMI...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 09:24:35 AM »
I think the CEO of Nvidia needs to fire himself...

Nvidia's spin borders on the truth
Analysis Q1 financial conference call was amusing
By Charlie Demerjian
Friday, 8 May 2009, 22:55

THE NVIDIA Q1 financial conference call was the usual mix of overreaching self-congratulations and dodged questions. It sounds good on the surface, but if you know what is really going on, you wonder how they can say what they do and get away with it.

The call started off in the usual way, with CEO Jen-Hsun Huang doing the 'we are the greatest in categories we made up' thing. The hype was all about Physx, GPU compute, and mobile. All were said to be doing really well and are - just as they have been every quarter of the past two or three years - expected to explode real soon now.

If you recall, two summers ago, GPU compute was supposed to make up 5 per cent of Nvidia's sales by the summer of 2008, according to its Investor Relations propaganda. Summer 2008 rolled by, GPU compute sales were at 0.5 per cent, and no one was talking about the cost of those sales. The company claimed that there were none, that people were getting huge grants to use those products and, well... they just smiled. Intel said much the same about the Second Coming Itanium chip Itanic for years.

The same story applies to Tegra. It was supposed to have products using it out about three quarters ago, but now Nvidia is on the verge of almost nearly having products ready. Nvidia's executives won't say who the customers are, but they are huge, trust them, they've never lied about it before. Nope, 100 per cent honesty, just ask them.

Moving right along, you learn something new every day. When asked about how Ion was doing, Jen-Hsun reported a huge number, $180 Million. When asked about how that number was derived, check out his response to the question from analyst Rajvindra Gill.

RG: "Right, but are you including the 9400M that you are showing to Apple as the... as Ion or is this actually two-thirds of that $180 million design wins with other companies outside of Apple that are using Ion?"

J-H H: "We don't distinguish the two... I mean, it's the same processor from our perspective. The... we call it, the platform, Ion, and increasingly people are calling the chip Ion, and so we don't distinguish the two, whatever people want to call it. I mean, when people buy the chipset from us, they call it Ion. When they put it into the box and they brand it from the outside, because Geforce is such a terrific brand and contributes so much to the brand value of the end product, people call it Geforce. Do you see what I'm saying? So people buy the Ion but they sell it as a Geforce."

Who knew? Ion is not only a brand now, but it encompasses any Geforce integrated GPU. Wow. If I didn't know any better, I would say that this is a blatant attempt to inflate category numbers using intentionally misleading information. Luckily, the analyst in question is not so easily duped as Jen-Hsun might have hoped.

Then they go on to talk about Physx, and tout how it is a huge sales success. According to the conference call, there are all of two (2) games that use it. But one is just eye-candy. Wow, and the pipeline is full, just ask them. But don't ask game reviewers, they don't seem to agree.

They don't agree with Nvidia's take on this week's flavor of Ion either. Remember, this box has twice the CPU power of the one in the Revo. Can you say high return rate? Oddly, Nvidia didn't mention those numbers during the conference call.

So, as with all self-serving spin, the end result is in the bottom line. Nvidia didn't break everything out where possible, but for one where it is possible - the professional line - sales were flat, quarter over quarter. With desktop sales up 50 per cent, notebooks up 28 per cent, and AMD based chipsets up 94 per cent, zero percent growth in a market that is such a stunning success is... at least odd. One might almost be tempted to say that Jen-Hsun's statements are not backed up by the numbers, but that would be using facts, and Nvidia really hates it when you do that.

That brings us to the next thing, margins. Recently, Nvidia's margins were in the mid-40s. This quarter, analysts were expecting mid-30s. They came in at 28.6 per cent GAAP, 30.6 per cent non-GAAP. Whoopsie! It was half explained away, but I don't buy the explanation for a minute.

A much better explanation is what we have been hearing from OEMs for a couple of quarters now, that Nvidia seems to be addicted to marketshare and will try to maintain it even at the cost of cash losses. If you have cash to burn, that works out, but when times are tough, it gets a bit more scrutiny. Just ask the game developers who used to get sacks of TWIMTBP cash.

In any case, Nvidia's marketshare took a jump in Q1. What it is not telling you is that marketshare growth was mainly due to the company dumping about a million units of 65nm DX9 inventory that it had previously written off.

If you do the math, that is more than enough to make up for the marketshare unit gains. What is a bit more troubling is that the margins for discrete GPU sales were not disclosed. Using the numbers that Nvidia did give out, the totals don't add up unless GPU margins were about half of the overall corporate margins. That is bad. Bad bad bad. Your core business should not be struggling to have double-digit margins.

Why are the margins so low? It's simple, ATI has a better product that is cheaper to make. AMD can force prices down and still make money. ATI, the division, is making money, but Nvidia is not. But it is growing marketshare! Lose money on every one sold but make it up in volume is not a healthy long-term corporate strategy - it's an old Lucille Ball and Desi Arnez sitcom skit! You can't say we didn't tell you so. And think about this, consumer price levels for GPU parts and everything else are way down since that article was written. GPU prices are down about 30 per cent in just the last two months, for example.

However - margins, smargins - Nvidia is the leader in visual computing, at least until it makes up a new category. And to top it off, things are looking good. Once again, Jen-Hsun said that the 40nm ramp was doing well. To use his exact words: "Let's see... the ramp is going fine." Bullsh*t.

No really, bullsh*t. He should know better than to say that. The only reason it isn't dishonest is that he can sleaze his way out of what "fine" actually means. Nvidia was supposed to beat ATI out to market with 40nm parts. Nvidia was slated for November, ATI for December.

The ATI parts, the RV740 / HD4770 came out in May. The Nvidia GT216 / 218 were supposed to beat them out by a few weeks. Three months ago, the parts were supposed to have been out by this time. Right now, the updated schedule - due to a ramp that is going "fine" - targets June or July. Sources in the Far East say things are looking more like late June, and slipping.

Toss in that the GT300, another 40nm part, was delayed 'til 2010, and it makes you wonder what the Nvidia definition of "fine" is. Boils? Cafeteria food? If its 40nm ramp is "fine", so is the mess in Iraq. What I suspect is going on is that Nvidia hasn't been able to get its 40nm chips up to an economically viable yield.

The now dead GT212 was a die-shrink of the GT200b from 55nm to 40nm, basically a margin improvement part. It is not to be. The GT214 / 216 / 218s are basically GT200 derivative parts, but we are also hearing that they are shrunken G92s. In any case, the largest of them, the GT214, failed like the GT212. It was reworked with an eye toward actually functioning, and evolved into the GT215.

The problem here is that the 214 to 215 evolution took so much die area that it is unlikely to ever be profitable. If you can't make a 130mm^2 chip on 40nm, what hope do you have of doing a 500mm^2 part?

Yeah, the new savior chips are the old chips but smaller. Given they are now eight (8) months late, best case, and don't have GDDR5, it is unlikely that they will be profitable at competitive price points. Toss in abysmal yields, and the 2009 profit margins are more or less non-existent. Best-case timeframe for a competitive mid-range part, Q2 of 2010.

That brings us to the GT300. Jen-Hsun artfully dodged the DX11 Windows 7 question. Why? AMD is on record saying that it will have a DX11 part out for the Windows 7 launch, and our sources back this up. Nvidia will be, best case, almost two quarters late to the party. Let me repeat that, Nvidia will have no parts out for either the Windows 7 launch or Christmas, so it is all ATI this year.

How they can spin this as good is beyond us, especially if you know the performance levels of both parts. Nvidia's strategy of GPU compute is going to be impacting its performance this round, hard. Nvidia took a stupid strategy with the GT300, and that is going to bite it.

Graphics performance sells graphics cards, GPU compute does not. It may be an adder, but without a base, it goes nowhere. ATI will likely have derivative parts out before Nvidia has its first DX11 part in volume, and ATI's current die area and therefore cost advantage should carry over as well.

If all goes well, Nvidia can hope to start competing for marketshare again next spring. Until then, things are only going to get worse for the green team.

Nvidia's executives can spin the situation all they want, but all the analysts I talk with understand the credibility gap the company has by now and seems bent on expanding.

Nvidia is not competitive, and it has nothing in the pipeline that will fix the problem for the next three to four quarters. Until then, well... things look ugly at best for Nvidia. You can only spin so hard before you throw up. µ

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1137261/nvidia-spin-borders-truth

Offline Philosophical45

• AdvancedTactics
  • Kage
  • Chakra 8
  • PERFORMANCE|P²
    • :computer:
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • GPU: GTX 680
  • RAM: 16GB PNY DDR3 1600MHZ
  • BattleNet ID: Shotology101/#1936
  • Broadband: :blinkbroadband:
  • MBL: Samsung S5 Mini
  • Origin ID: shotology101
  • Steam: shotology101
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 06:05:35 PM »
SOURCE:   http://alienbabeltech.com/main/?p=11638

-==EDIT==-

more info on the new architecture from nvidia - http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3651&p=1
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 06:54:12 PM by Philosophical45 »

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
  • CPU: i5 3470
  • GPU: GTX 780
  • RAM: 8GB Corsair
  • Broadband: Blink 2Mb + Flow 20Mb
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 07:03:44 PM »
Hmmmm interesting. It might be worth it to at least hold off to see what NV as to offer before making a leap. But with a chip tat size, what will it cost them and more importantly, what will it cost us??

Offline Arcmanov

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 126
  • Gamer/Enthusiast
    • :n64: :gcn: :dreamcast: :xbox360: :computer:
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcmanov's rig
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.3 GHz
  • GPU: 2 x [Gigabyte] GeForce GTX 1070
  • RAM: 4 x 8GB G.Skill.TridentZ RGB DDR4-2400
  • Broadband: :flow:
  • MBL: LG V20
  • Origin ID: Arcmanov
  • PSN: Arcmanov
  • Steam: Arcmanov
  • XBL: Arcmanov
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 07:12:32 PM »
From the Anandtech article....

I asked two people at NVIDIA why Fermi is late; NVIDIA's VP of Product Marketing, Ujesh Desai and NVIDIA's VP of GPU Engineering, Jonah Alben. Ujesh responded: because designing GPUs this big is "f@#king hard".

* dies from LOL-ing *
Systems United Navy - Accipiens ad Astra

Carigamers

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 07:12:32 PM »

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 03:22:04 PM »
Seems like aiming for the stars really does mean you fall for the sky:
Nvidia's Fermi GPU gets cut back

Too hot to handle
By David Neal
Wednesday, 23 December 2009, 14:15
ACCORDING TO A REPORT at Semiaccurate, Nvidia's Fermi GPU chip has recently been downsized.
Nvidia has had to cut back its Fermi GPU because of the chip's low wafer yields and its high heat output, if the latest reports are to believed.
Fermi has long been thought to be too hot to handle and Nvidia has now cut down the number of stream processors to 448 instead of the previous 512, and it has admitted that the GPU chip will be a 225 Watt part. Nvidia's own Fermi information pages still show it as having 512 SPs, but according to a recent PDF this is no longer the case.
Semiaccurate thinks Nvidia cut back the number of stream processors either because the Fermi chip can't be produced in volume with less than two major flaws in its SP array or its power draw and heat output were just too much for Nvidia's graphics board partners to deal with, or both. Those reasons do sound plausible.
But really, a single GPU chip that draws 225W is simply unheard-of. Let's just put it this way - we wouldn't fancy leaving the thing running on top of some dried newspaper and kindling.
This new information makes some of the praise that's still on Nvidia's Fermi information page look a little odd. "Fermi surpasses anything announced by Nvidia's leading GPU competitor (AMD)", said Tom Halfhill, senior analyst and editor at Microprocessor Report. Dave Patterson, the director of the parallel computing research laboratory at UC Berkeley, added, "I believe history will record Fermi as a significant milestone."
Maybe not so much a milestone as a gravestone, perhaps. Fermi is starting to seem like a GPU chip too far.
What seems certain is that Nvidia's fab partner TSMC is finding it challenging, to say the least, to manufacture the chip, and that it will have to be cooled by a waterblock if not a more exotic cooling method like phase-change refrigeration.
Whether this will all work out for the Green Goblin remains to be seen. But at this point it looks as though Nvidia's Fermi GPU chip might be delayed again. µ
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1567017/nvidia-fermi-gpu-cut

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 07:21:53 PM »
Meanwhile in the ATI camp, TSMC seems to also have yield issues with the Evergreen parts as evidenced by the trickle of boards that are being released to retailers.

As a result of this, prices are getting higher with no change in sight. At first, they said the hd5850's would MSRP @ US$260, yet the cheapest one on Amazon is like $305, nearly $50 us over msrp. Not cool.

Of course it doesnt help that Nvidia doesnt seem to be remotely ready with any competition for the near future so that picture will remain the same for now.

Speaking strictly from an economic standpoint, hd5850 or 5870 (at the current prices) is not an economic upgrade for anyone who currently owns 2 4870's or a 4870x2. You''ll have to double up to see a real improvement performance wise...but at $600 and $800us respectively...yea f*$#'in' right.

Sure there's DX11 and lower power consumption, but to that I say mega MEH!

The way I see it, its gonna take some results from Nvidia to trigger a price war which we desperately need right now.

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 08:20:05 AM »
I think their yields are better now seeing as there is wide scale availability of their midrange parts 5750/70 and there are a few 5850/70/970's as well. But as you rightfully pointed out competition from the green camp is lacking so why drop the prices when you can afford to keep them high? Also have you looked at the prices of the Nvidia parts? GTX260s NO cheaper than 160USD???? GTX275s at 250+ USD? 280 and 280s at over 300USD??? If a 5850 beating your BEST single GPU part.... how in hecks name is your faster single GPU still more expensive than it?
That being said, ppl complaining about how the 5850 should be 260USD, how come ppl aren't complaining that the GTX285 isn't?

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 08:35:26 AM »
Life real funny boy. Look I now talk last night about 5850 prices being too high now look Amazon done gone and slice a HEALTHY $30us from the price.

Needless to say yuh boy grab 2 one time before they disappear.

Offline Redfish

• Sannin
  • Chakra 28
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Core i5 2500K 3.4GHz
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 670 2 GB DDR5
  • RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 09:39:44 AM »
2 you say???? where is you gittin theeze funs man, throw me a bone here lol

But it's nice to see it drop below 300us, amazon and their sneaky price cuts to get you to click buy....

Offline TrinireturnofGamez

• AdvancedTactics
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 4
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 11:09:07 AM »
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20091228PD207.html    << Fermi delayed till march

http://www.siliconmadness.com/2009/12/nvidia-tesla-c2050-c2070-cut-down-to.html  << Fermi based tesla cards cut down to 448 shaders...  if the cards with the cherry picked GPUs  cant get the full 512 shaders, things dont look good for the mainstream.

I still believe fermi will be 20-30% faster than the ATI cards when launched, but it looks like the pricing and continuous delays might make them irrelevant : If you can get two 5850's for less than the price of one GT300 i'm betting the two 5850s will be a good bit faster.
http://freetrinipoetry.blogspot.com/

Core 2 duo E6600
Asus mobo
Radeon HD 4770
2 gigs DDR2 667 + 2 gigs DDR 800 OCZ

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 11:21:59 AM »
Cards with 3 and 6gb of ddr5 (especially if we're talking about single gpu parts) seem very much overdone for the gaming segment and most likely be targeted at industrial applications and would cost more than most of us make in a month.

Later down they'll have cut down versions with more sensible amounts of ram and sp's.

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 11:30:07 AM »
Yup, that smells of quadro and workstation/server deployments. I know that they are touting GT3xx as a step in the direction of more general purpose processing as let's face it Nvidia is a GPU shop, NOT a CPU/GPU shop, so to stay in the game they are doing what they can to highlight it's 'other' applications. So yeah a more sensible video card for desktops will surface.

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 04:41:13 PM »
Tom's Hardware has a pretty indepth article with more details about the upcoming beast:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gf100-fermi-directx-11,2536.html

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 11:48:55 AM »
I read anand's article. Pretty indepth.

Interesting performance projections. Pricewise though, fanboys should start to cringe from now.

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 03:38:56 PM »
Did someone say yields?

TSMC claims to have fixed 40nm yield problems
About the same level as 65nm these days
By Ed Berridge
Wednesday, 20 January 2010, 11:47

CHIPMAKER TSMC said it has improved yield rates on its 40nm manufacturing process and everything is on a par with the older 65nm process.

According to Digitimes, Mark Liu, senior VP of operations at Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) said at a company event that the chamber matching problems that had blighed yield rates for the last quarter have now been fixed.

He did not say much else, but the low yields have resulted in problems for several of TSMC's customers and could mean that some will have to delay product launches while the chipmaker clears up its backlog.

TSMC opened a new factory building named Phase 5, which is part of the company's Fab 12 located at the Hsinchu Science Park in Taiwan. Once Phase 5 is operational it will be used for volume production of 28nm products in the third quarter of 2010.

The outfit is also planning to build Phase 6 of Fab 12, which mainly will be used as its 22nm production base. Liu said all this building is needed to keep up with demand for chips in the coming quarters. µ

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1587874/tsmc-claims-fixed-40nm-yield

Offline Arcmanov

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 126
  • Gamer/Enthusiast
    • :n64: :gcn: :dreamcast: :xbox360: :computer:
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcmanov's rig
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.3 GHz
  • GPU: 2 x [Gigabyte] GeForce GTX 1070
  • RAM: 4 x 8GB G.Skill.TridentZ RGB DDR4-2400
  • Broadband: :flow:
  • MBL: LG V20
  • Origin ID: Arcmanov
  • PSN: Arcmanov
  • Steam: Arcmanov
  • XBL: Arcmanov
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 04:46:40 PM »
I think you need to 'rebadge' this thread :laughing7:, because Nvidia just revealed the names of their upcoming cards...

GTX 480 and GTX 470

...and the architecture is officially GF100 eh.

The '300 series' has been officially passed over.
Systems United Navy - Accipiens ad Astra

Offline Crixx_Creww

• Akatsuki
  • Chakra -12
  • ANBU OF THE HIDDEN VILLAGE FOAK
    • Atari 2600.
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
    • www.crixxcrew.com
  • CPU: Intel Q6600 @3.2 Ghz
  • GPU: Nvidia Xfx geforce 9800GTX+
  • RAM: 8 Gigs Mixed kingston and corsair ddr2
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 06:16:12 PM »
mmmm nvidia facebook page??
+Join

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 02:20:35 PM »
Well lookie here. Nvidia seems to be permanently stuck in fail mode.

Here's some more epic fail.

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/02/17/nvidias-fermigtx480-broken-and-unfixable/

Its a long read, some of which WILL fly over your head but he makes a lot of sense and has been right on the money so far.

WITH ANOTHER LAUNCH of the Nvidia GT300 Fermi GF100 GTX480 upon us, it is time for an update on the status of that wayward part. Production parts have been coming back from TSMC for several weeks now, and the outlook for them is grim.

We first got word that production A3 GF100s were back in Santa Clara near the end of January. When enough of them rolled off the line to characterize the silicon, we hear there were no parties in Santa Clara. For those not interested in the 'why' side of things, the short answer is that the top bin as it stands now is about 600MHz for the half hot clock, and 1200MHz for the hot clock, and the initial top part will have 448 shaders. On top of that, the fab wafer yields are still in single digit percentages.

That said, the situation is far more nuanced than those three numbers suggest, and the atrocious yields are even after the chip has been downclocked and defective units fused off. To make matters even worse, the problems that caused these low yields are likely unfixable without a complete re-layout. Lets look at these problems one at a time.

Number one on Nvidia's hit list is yields. If you recall, we said that the yield on the first hot lot of Fermis that came back from TSMC was 7 good chips out of a total of 416 candidates, or a yield of less than 2 percent.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 02:26:42 PM by Captain Awesome »

Offline Prowl

• AdvancedTactics
  • Jonin
  • Chakra -25
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
  • CPU: i7 3930k
  • GPU: Asus 670
  • RAM: ddr3 2000
  • Origin ID: Acurus
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 10:11:51 PM »
this sucks, no competition = amd turning into intel of gpus
Lian LI PC70B
Corsair 850w psu
Asus gtx670 direct cuii
16 gigs ddr3 2000
Asus P9X79 WS PRO
Intel i7 3930k @ 3.9
128 gig ssd boot
1 gig programs
3 gig data
2x 1500 gig sata2 raid 1
Windows 7 x64
SUSE x64
Samsung 21" 215TW Wide screen LCD
Dell U2711 27" wide screen LCD

Carigamers

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 10:11:51 PM »

* ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Crimson609: yea everything cool how are you?
    August 10, 2022, 07:26:15 AM
  • Pain_Killer: Good day, what's going on with you guys? Is everything Ok?
    February 21, 2021, 05:30:10 PM
  • Crimson609: BOOM covid-19
    August 15, 2020, 01:07:30 PM
  • Shinsoo: bwda 2020 shoutboxing. omg we are in the future and in the past at the same time!
    March 03, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
  • TriniXjin: Watch Black Clover Everyone!
    February 01, 2020, 06:30:00 PM
  • Crimson609: lol
    February 01, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
  • Skitz: So fellas how we go include listing for all dem parts for pc on we profile but doh have any place for motherboard?
    January 24, 2020, 09:11:33 PM
  • Crimson609: :ph34r:
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:28 PM
  • Crimson609: Big up ya whole slef
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:17 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like Link
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:14 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Kitana
    January 20, 2019, 09:22:39 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Chappy
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:53 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul Like Minato
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:48 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like XJin
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:53 PM
  • protomanex: Shout out to man like Crimson
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:44 PM
  • Crimson609: shout out to gyal like Corbie Gonta
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:06 PM
  • cold_187: Why allur don't make a discord or something?
    December 03, 2018, 06:17:38 PM
  • Red Paradox: https://www.twitch.tv/flippay1985 everyday from 6:00pm
    May 29, 2018, 09:40:09 AM
  • Red Paradox: anyone play EA Sports UFC 3.. Looking for a challenge. PSN: Flippay1985 :)
    May 09, 2018, 11:00:52 PM
  • cold_187: @TriniXjin not really, I may have something they need (ssd/ram/mb etc.), hence why I also said "trade" ;)
    February 05, 2018, 10:22:14 AM

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal