Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 84064 times)

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 3770
  • GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070
  • RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR3 2166MHz
  • Broadband: FLOW
  • Steam: W1nTry
  • XBL: W1nTry
Re: Windows 8
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 01:56:52 PM »
Hey, pay me enough and i'll call whatever u want gaming :p and I AM referring to it all from a monetary gain perspective btw. So as I said pay me enough and i'll live, eat and breathe gaming on a smart phone quite happily :p

And might I remind you that some of the BEST games ever were very simple, small, intuitive titles that didn't require 2GB or GDDR5 and a quad core processor. I spent many a waking hour in my youth on lemmings, Myst (which back then was all software rendered, but you know the style to which I refer), and other simple arcade titles, that quite honestly far outnumber the big titles we get 3-4 times a year. And heck there's Rage on rails using the Ipad, even CARMACK in on the action :p
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 01:59:24 PM by W1nTry »

Carigamers

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 01:56:52 PM »

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
  • CPU: i5 3470
  • GPU: GTX 780
  • RAM: 8GB Corsair
  • Broadband: Blink 2Mb + Flow 20Mb
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2011, 02:04:27 PM »
Mobile gaming = potty entertainment or kill time while walking around the mall waiting for the gf to finish windowshop. Fullstop XD. Not going to watch my nice 40", bypass it and reach for the phone to game.

Offline MessiaaH

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 6
    • :ps3: :wii:
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
  • CPU: i7 3930k @ 5.0GHz
  • GPU: 3 * Nvidia GTX 680 (Liquid Cooled)
  • RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengence
  • BattleNet ID: MessiaaH / 350
  • XBL: MesssiaaaH
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2011, 02:05:12 PM »
Capt u have to understand, metro is not just an interface eh, d kind of information provided and d manner in which it is provided is far advanced to that of d classic UI. so is not juss about ah interface to look fancy, usibility and feature set is also a part of it. Once windows apps start gravitating towards that, d classic interfnace wud be a thing of d past.

If all apps start utilizing d metro properly, for instnace, win7 jump list in a live tile.
So instead of right clicking to see recent excel docs, i coudl jus see what i been working on in ah live tile, with status notification of who make changes to d document etc. once d apps start getin code to take advantage of d power of dem. d classic interface go matter less and less.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 02:14:33 PM by MessiaaH »

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011, 02:15:57 PM »
I'm not sure but did I ever mention how much I hate how that ui looks?

Honestly, I am no expert in UI design but I'm a user that knows what he wants. I'm not sure why ms never tried harder with widgets because they can do all that metro does and more. On my android device, I use an array of widgets that display all my mail, contacts, facebook wall and callender in one place...and it works.

Im sure they could have done a similar array of widgets which would have made it much more visually appealing. God that metro is ugly!

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2011, 02:19:34 PM »
*W1nTry prepares the backyard as Messiahh prepares to take capn out back and put him down* ROFL. Guys, until we see where they going we're just gonna have to wait. Who's to say they don't improve the visual appeal to your liking Capn? and who's to say they don't make a highbread messi?

Carigamers

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2011, 02:19:34 PM »

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2011, 02:23:02 PM »
Hmmm highbread eh....

Offline MessiaaH

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 6
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2011, 02:33:16 PM »
Capt, where u find metro ugly and widgets gorgoues, i find d opposite lol, widgets bulky, dey eat up phone memory, is why wp7 is easily smoother dan android, and tons of other stuff. also, widgets gives d feel of seperation, metro gives d feel of consolodation, no apps. 1 seemless expereince. if dey add deep linking and d other things in live tiles to widgets it mite have brought dem out, i like d live tile approach, simplistic, and fast. And so far, almost all reviews and forums i read, in love wiht metro, arc and capt is d only 2 ppl i personaly know dont like it lolol. and AT&T's own customer feedback servay says customer satisfcation with d samsung focus is greater dan that of the iphone, that says alot. So d fact that more ppl like metro dan hate it, i think thats d direction MS going to keep pushing.

Windows live in wp7 mango woudlnt have been posible in dat same way, with widgets.

But in any event, if d metro dont work in windows 8, ms more likely to scrap d whole thing and come again, dan making a hybrid. MS have ah all in approach, dey go all in with they ideas. and if it doh work, dey scrap it and come agian (Kin anyone? that product dead so fast it wasnt funny lol).

Offline phoenix31tt

• Kage
  • Chakra -2
    • PS3
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz
  • GPU: Sapphire 5970
  • RAM: 12GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
  • Broadband: Flow
  • PSN: phoenix_31tt
  • XBL: phoenix31tt
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2011, 02:55:39 PM »
second the widgets = resource hog issue.

thats why it wasn't done... not to mention.. everybody is doing widgets right... why would they come with the same old crap...

i know thats why you dont like metro.. cuz of the looks... cuz if you said there was any other reason to not liking it.. u might indeed need to be put down lol... it's faster, more efficient, provides cleaner info than any other approach currently... not to mention developers are loving it.

i just think its a mindset thing... your simply not open to it (because of the looks) so you will never realize the full potential.. you already make up your mind to hate it.. so whether its better or not in reality makes no difference to you...

that being said... i'm pretty sure before launch MS will do their research (MS spends the most money on R&D than most other companies) to determine if it will fly with customers or not

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2011, 03:25:35 PM »
Yip, wont use it if I hate the look. They better do proper research before deciding to implement that ui as the sole interface for desktop.

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • :ps3::wii::xbox360:
  • Referrals: 35
    • View Profile
    • http://www.carigamers.com
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
  • GPU: Geforce GTX 680 2GB
  • RAM: 16GB
  • Broadband: :flow:
  • MBL: Nexus 5x
  • PSN: TriniXaeno
  • XBL: TriniXaeno
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2011, 07:21:02 PM »
There is no accounting for taste

Offline MessiaaH

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 6
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2011, 09:37:27 PM »
Lord have mercy.
Out of all d microsoft acquisitions i see this one being good and bad.

Good for windows phones and xbox.
Bad for PC gamers if we get shafted and AMD is d only option.

Lets hope MS treats us right if this madness ever happens.

and i quote " if Microsoft acquires Nokia's mobile unit as rumors, it will have Windows Phone 7, Nokia, nVidia and Skype. Who could stop it?"

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2011, 11:20:07 PM »
I dont follow. Bad for PC gamers how?

Offline MessiaaH

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 6
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2011, 11:25:22 PM »
Bad for pc gamers if ms take nvidia tech put it in windows phone and xbox, and  salt pc . Then amd wont have proper competition and we will be screwed.

And if MS spend ah shitload of money into nvidia pc segment and overwhelm amd, we screwed too.

Either way have potential to be screwed. time will tell.

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2011, 11:58:08 PM »
obviously I'm missing something here.

Is Microsoft actually going to acquire Nvidia?

Offline Berzerk

• Akatsuki
  • Chakra 103
    • :WIIU: :XBOX ONE:  :3DS:
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core I7 2600K (Stock)
  • GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970 4 Gig
  • RAM: 8 GB DDR 3 Corsair Vengeance 1333 Ram
  • BattleNet ID: berserkiymc
  • Origin ID: berzerker28
  • PSN: BerserkIymc
  • Steam: berzerk880
  • XBL: berserkiymc
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2011, 09:26:54 AM »
http://www.rumorpedia.net/microsoft-sets-up-acquisition-deal-with-nvidia/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/microsoft-pact-with-nvidia-could-result-in-future-takeover/

Possibility but not official yet. Apparently and old pact ms had with nvidia awhile back, renders them the best option to purchase Nvidia.

if so well the landscape is going to change quite a bit.

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2011, 11:44:56 AM »
If MS DOES acquire Nvidia (which I think is prohibitively expensive to do after shelling out 8 billion for skype) it will be doing it for the chip design capabilties particularly related to mobile. MS knows that its' late to the party where mobile is concerned and it's where the market is making the most inroads atm. So there is some sense in such a move, however I would doubt they would interfere with the PC GPU as that is still a lucrative business and MS wouldn't throw money away where it can avoid to.
Also keep in mind that the largest GPU maker in the world IS intel, with Intel giving apple preferential treatment AND not making much fuss over wp7 AND having its own brand of linux AND, AND, AND, it's all about not putting all your eggs in one basket. Also they've already butt heads with the US Gov over being a monopoly, AMD again is imho critical to allowing MS to buying off someone like nvidia, so don't think for a second that the industry will go into a lull and we'll necessarily suffer as the consumer.

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2011, 07:13:13 PM »
So here’s an interesting coincidence: Tuesday at Microsoft’s Worldwide Partner Conference, Andy Lees said that Redmond would eventually have just a “single ecosystem” for PCs, phones, tablets, and even the TV. “You can have full PC compute power available in whatever form factor you like,” said Lees, noting that the Windows on ARM demo motherboards were smaller than mobile phones. “We won’t have an ecosystem for PCs, and one for phones, and one for tablets — they’ll all come together.” Lees went on to say that Microsoft wants to provide “coherence and consistency” across different devices, “particularly with Xbox,” and that the goal isn’t just to share UI, but also core technologies like Internet Explorer.

Turns out that almost exactly describes something we heard from a source the other day, and we’ve got some more details that point to a far more radical plan within Microsoft. What we’ve been told is that Microsoft is planning to somehow harmonize not only Windows for PCs and Windows Phone, but also the Xbox operating system sometime within the next four years — a timeframe that perfectly lines up with both the end of the Xbox 360′s 10-year lifecycle and the end of Windows 8′s expected three-year run. That would mean Microsoft’s next next OS will run on PCs, tablets, phones, and the next-gen Xbox when it hits sometime in 2015 / 2016. Yes, it sounds crazy, but it fits perfectly within the broad outlines Lees confirmed during his keynote yesterday. And that’s not even the wildest part.

Our sources also tell us that Microsoft is seriously considering ditching the “Windows” brand name in favor of something new when all this goes down. The idea is to rebrand this new super-OS with something that better fits with Redmond’s vision of the future. Obviously that could well change over the next few years as this plan takes shape — Steve Ballmer in particular has always been quite enamored with the Windows brand — but dropping the name is apparently at least on the table, and that’s a big step.

http://thisismynext.com/2011/07/14/microsoft-one-ecosystem-pcs-tablets-phones-tvs-windows-brand-over/

Ahh boy. Consolidation, the way of the future. You go MS. According to this, basically the trial run will be with Windows 8 and the concept will be furthered with later versions.

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2011, 07:45:11 PM »
Of course, the difference this time is that Microsoft isn’t just trying to put desktop Windows everywhere, but rather trying to tailor core technologies and interface ideas to specific devices and experiences — a strategy that seems much more likely to succeed. We’ll just have to wait and see how the company decides to bring its various platforms together — and whether or not we’ll call it “Windows” when it happens.

Burr?? How is that different from what they tried before?

and on a separate note. I don't know why windows media center failed.

I think it was a brilliant idea. As well as Windows Home Server.

Yet they both have been thoroughly spurned.

Either way, Windows everywhere is a dream I can live with. Especially since the performance of Windows 7. Rock solid OS ftw.

Offline phoenix31tt

• Kage
  • Chakra -2
    • PS3
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz
  • GPU: Sapphire 5970
  • RAM: 12GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
  • Broadband: Flow
  • PSN: phoenix_31tt
  • XBL: phoenix31tt
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2011, 08:04:34 PM »
@ wyatt... its different because they tried to emulate the "desktop pc" on mobiles tablets etc...

if you take a look @ windows phone 7 you would realise how different it is and it caters heavily to the needs of the mobile world... its not just win7 they tried to port to a phone etc... but yet still it has the same functionality (i.e. ie9 on mobile is as robust as ie9 on pc etc)

also microsoft ecosystem idea is much more than the operating systems (yes one of the many reasons for my favoring of WP7)... now that they have that limiting anti-trust injunction of their back, they are free to integrate all their products so that a user can experience proper functionality no matter where they go, across disparate devices etc.

they have/had most of the pieces of the puzzle, they just weren't allowed to put them together before now... good vision by MS, would like to see it succeed...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 08:07:39 PM by phoenix31tt »

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2011, 08:10:14 PM »
The author should use your explanation......it made a helluva lot more sense than his.

Thank you sir.

Carigamers

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2011, 08:10:14 PM »

* ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Crimson609: yea everything cool how are you?
    August 10, 2022, 07:26:15 AM
  • Pain_Killer: Good day, what's going on with you guys? Is everything Ok?
    February 21, 2021, 05:30:10 PM
  • Crimson609: BOOM covid-19
    August 15, 2020, 01:07:30 PM
  • Shinsoo: bwda 2020 shoutboxing. omg we are in the future and in the past at the same time!
    March 03, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
  • TriniXjin: Watch Black Clover Everyone!
    February 01, 2020, 06:30:00 PM
  • Crimson609: lol
    February 01, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
  • Skitz: So fellas how we go include listing for all dem parts for pc on we profile but doh have any place for motherboard?
    January 24, 2020, 09:11:33 PM
  • Crimson609: :ph34r:
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:28 PM
  • Crimson609: Big up ya whole slef
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:17 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like Link
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:14 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Kitana
    January 20, 2019, 09:22:39 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Chappy
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:53 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul Like Minato
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:48 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like XJin
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:53 PM
  • protomanex: Shout out to man like Crimson
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:44 PM
  • Crimson609: shout out to gyal like Corbie Gonta
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:06 PM
  • cold_187: Why allur don't make a discord or something?
    December 03, 2018, 06:17:38 PM
  • Red Paradox: https://www.twitch.tv/flippay1985 everyday from 6:00pm
    May 29, 2018, 09:40:09 AM
  • Red Paradox: anyone play EA Sports UFC 3.. Looking for a challenge. PSN: Flippay1985 :)
    May 09, 2018, 11:00:52 PM
  • cold_187: @TriniXjin not really, I may have something they need (ssd/ram/mb etc.), hence why I also said "trade" ;)
    February 05, 2018, 10:22:14 AM

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal