Author Topic: A mouse by any other manu is just a Mouse  (Read 3972 times)

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 3770
  • GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070
  • RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR3 2166MHz
  • Broadband: FLOW
  • Steam: W1nTry
  • XBL: W1nTry
A mouse by any other manu is just a Mouse
« on: October 21, 2009, 01:16:32 PM »
Leave it to apple to come up with this (logical if you're an applite) step in the evolution of the mouse!

Magic mouse could start a rodent revolution
Apple is pointing the way
By Stewart Meagher
Wednesday, 21 October 2009, 14:37

MOST OF YOU WON'T REMEMBER the days before the advent of the mouse. Your friendly pointing clicking rodent scurries about your desk unheralded and unloved, carrying out your every gestural whim, happy to be enveloped in the clammy caress of your uncaring palm.

The evolution of the mouse is simple and, to all intents and purposes, without deviation. It's true that the cable used to poke out of the other end when it first hopped onto the desktop courtesy of the boffins at Stanford University, but you would still recognise the first commercially marketed mouse for what is was if you were to come across a complete Xerox 8010 at your local car boot sale.

The mouse is the great white shark of the computing world. Not that you are likely to have your legs torn off by one while your having a nice paddle at the seaside. No... it's developmental path has, like a shark, been simple and linear because the people who originally designed it got it right in the first place. It has been quite happily doing its job for nearly 30 years, and no amount of wirelessness, flashy livery, space age laser light shows and bristling multi-button madness could detract from the fact that it had a simple job to do. Pointing at stuff and moving stuff about on a screen.

It's almost ironic that Apple, the company which championed the commercial birth of the mouse in 1984, has fought a bitter battle with the rest of the world to keep the mouse true to its simplistic origins. PC users regularly bemoan the fact that Apple rodents are a little deficient in the button department. One Inq journalist who shall remain nameless (rhymes with Dick Barrel) still regularly mocks the Apple Mighty Mouse for having only one button when anyone who has ever actually used one will be aware that, in reality, it has four, plus a three dimenisional scroll wheel.

And now along comes the Magic Mouse. A shining trilobite of swooping retro curves and Apple design loveliness which the Cupertino company hopes will change the way we interface with our computer forever.

Imagine if you will a traditional wireless mouse. Then imagine the giant glass multi-touch surfaces which have become a familiar feature of recent Apple notebooks and the ubiquitous Iphone (and its incommunicative halfwit cousin the Ipod touch). Now put the two in a cage and poke them with a sharp stick until they breed.

The resulting lovechild will hopefully be a buttonless mouse covered with a smooth touch sensitive surface... or a Magic Mouse if you will.

It's still a mouse to all intents and purposes. It still slides about on your desktop carrying out traditional pointing and clicking duties using a laser tracking system. But it's that sensitive shell that makes all the difference. It not only knows where you fingers are on the surface, and how many fingers you are using, it also knows which direction you are swiping them in and how fast.

You can scroll 360 degrees around large documents using a single finger, or flip between pages in a document using sideways swipes. You can zoom and contract the view using key modifiers or two finger pinching, and all of this is infinitely customisable using a simple system preferences widget.

We're sure this is going to take some getting used to and it might not change the world. It certainly won't change the PC world any time soon because, until such time as Microsoft decides there's a buck to be made and steals the idea, the Mighty Mouse is Mac only (it only works with Snow Leopard at that).

But it's an interesting idea and we're intrigued to see if the concept catches on or if, like the track ball, it is restricted to a few die-hard enthusiasts and RSI sufferers. Watch this space for a fingers-on review as soon as we can prise one from Apple's vicelike grasp. µ

I doh care how accurate your logitech G155000XFR whatchamadingdong argon laser mouse is, or how industrial it looks, it have NOTHING on dis, and PC users are sure to envy. Again apple makes an aesthetic product that brings new innovation. Shame they doh open up the DAMN OS and HARDWARE to work on the PC platform. But hey I guess it's easier to have Quality Assurance if you control it all rather than have cheap ripoffs that could stain your product XD.

Carigamers

A mouse by any other manu is just a Mouse
« on: October 21, 2009, 01:16:32 PM »

Offline Arcmanov

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 126
  • Gamer/Enthusiast
    • :n64: :gcn: :dreamcast: :xbox360: :computer:
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcmanov's rig
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.3 GHz
  • GPU: 2 x [Gigabyte] GeForce GTX 1070
  • RAM: 4 x 8GB G.Skill.TridentZ RGB DDR4-2400
  • Broadband: :flow:
  • MBL: LG V20
  • Origin ID: Arcmanov
  • PSN: Arcmanov
  • Steam: Arcmanov
  • XBL: Arcmanov
Re: A mouse by any other manu is just a Mouse
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 02:09:01 PM »
...but can it play Crysis?
Systems United Navy - Accipiens ad Astra

Offline Nephilim

• Sannin
  • Chakra 56
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Q94
  • GPU: 4870
  • RAM: 8GB
  • Broadband: Flow
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 02:13:35 PM »
i was now thinking that same thing lol

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 3770
  • GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070
  • RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR3 2166MHz
  • Broadband: FLOW
  • Steam: W1nTry
  • XBL: W1nTry
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 02:24:32 PM »
Dread imagine you can configure CUSTOM gestures on the mouse to switch between the power suites functions without even having to move ur left hand fingers to do it :p like moving the dial on a rotary telephone!

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
  • CPU: i5 3470
  • GPU: GTX 780
  • RAM: 8GB Corsair
  • Broadband: Blink 2Mb + Flow 20Mb
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 05:22:55 PM »
Love them or hate them, Apple does come up with some very interesting, revolutionary products that drive change.

Just like their iphone did to the phone market, so will this mouse do to the mouse market (maybe to a lesser extent)

Bottom line, pretty soon some manfacturer somewhere will come up with a product that will blow this out of the water, for cheaper.

Just a matter of when.

Carigamers

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 05:22:55 PM »

Offline Fkacn_tt

• Global Moderator
  • Kage
  • Chakra 0
    • PS3,PsP, Dead PS2
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
  • CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
  • GPU: XFX 4850 512mb
  • RAM: 2 GB PC 6400
  • Broadband: Flow
  • PSN: r_guy007
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 06:18:40 PM »
this is just another flop, most who buy this will end up pluging in back that old $18 MS mouse they where using with there macs
" border="0

Offline PikachuManZzZ

• Genin
  • Chakra -1
    • PS3_
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 07:40:11 PM »
this is just another flop, most who buy this will end up pluging in back that old $18 MS mouse they where using with there macs

meh, kinda yes kinda no. The MS mice have the advantage in that they supposedly use Windows-Style mouse acceleration, as opposed to the OSX style acceleration used by every other company (logitech, apple, etc). That's a huge deal for me and I would assume most people accustomed to using PC desktops. Enough so I'd genuinely prefer using a $18 MS mouse over my Logitech G5 (and I'd hardly consider the G5 to be a "flop," by anyone's standard).

The multitouch stuff is good though. The mouse would be perfect if apple would just allow Windows-style mouse acceleration on the mac.

Buggy as hell.

Carigamers

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 07:40:11 PM »

* ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Crimson609: yea everything cool how are you?
    August 10, 2022, 07:26:15 AM
  • Pain_Killer: Good day, what's going on with you guys? Is everything Ok?
    February 21, 2021, 05:30:10 PM
  • Crimson609: BOOM covid-19
    August 15, 2020, 01:07:30 PM
  • Shinsoo: bwda 2020 shoutboxing. omg we are in the future and in the past at the same time!
    March 03, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
  • TriniXjin: Watch Black Clover Everyone!
    February 01, 2020, 06:30:00 PM
  • Crimson609: lol
    February 01, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
  • Skitz: So fellas how we go include listing for all dem parts for pc on we profile but doh have any place for motherboard?
    January 24, 2020, 09:11:33 PM
  • Crimson609: :ph34r:
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:28 PM
  • Crimson609: Big up ya whole slef
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:17 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like Link
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:14 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Kitana
    January 20, 2019, 09:22:39 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Chappy
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:53 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul Like Minato
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:48 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like XJin
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:53 PM
  • protomanex: Shout out to man like Crimson
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:44 PM
  • Crimson609: shout out to gyal like Corbie Gonta
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:06 PM
  • cold_187: Why allur don't make a discord or something?
    December 03, 2018, 06:17:38 PM
  • Red Paradox: https://www.twitch.tv/flippay1985 everyday from 6:00pm
    May 29, 2018, 09:40:09 AM
  • Red Paradox: anyone play EA Sports UFC 3.. Looking for a challenge. PSN: Flippay1985 :)
    May 09, 2018, 11:00:52 PM
  • cold_187: @TriniXjin not really, I may have something they need (ssd/ram/mb etc.), hence why I also said "trade" ;)
    February 05, 2018, 10:22:14 AM

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal