Author Topic: Wikipad: Hands-on with the gaming tablet aiming to take on consoles  (Read 3243 times)

Offline Preston786

• AdvancedTactics
  • Kage
  • Chakra 35
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-3770
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW 8GB X2
  • RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400
  • Broadband: Digicel Play
  • Origin ID: Preston786
  • Steam: Preston786
The Nintendo Wii U is not the only tablet-based gaming hardware launching this fall. Wikipad is a new 10-inch Android tablet designed from the ground up to work with a proprietary game pad dock. Having had a chance to try out a preproduction unit, I found it an interesting hybrid of general-interest tablet and specialized handheld gaming console. But the $499 price may make it hard to compete with products such as Apple's iPad, the latest Amazon, Google, and Barnes & Noble tablets, or even Sony's handheld PlayStation Vita.

Wikipad is part of a growing trend of independently developed game consoles outside of the major Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft axis. Ouya, an Android-powered set-top box, recently made a big splash on Kickstarter, raising millions of dollars from individual gamers, while streaming-game service OnLive released a set-top box last year, and used a standalone Android app to bring its games to handheld devices.

Powered by an Nvidia Tegra 3 processor, the Wikipad can download games from Nvidia's Tegra Zone store, Google Play, the PlayStation Mobile platform, and other app stores. Unlike other Android tablets that can also play a wide variety of games, the Wikipad's unique selling point is its custom handheld controller dock, which adds two analog sticks, shoulder triggers, a directional pad, and four buttons -- all of which makes it look a lot like a PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 controller.

The tablet itself is very thin and light, weighing 1.2 pounds and only 0.3 inch thick. The back surface (which is matte black plastic) has a small inset ridge running around it, which acts as a finger grip, and also helps guide the tablet into the game pad dock.

From the front, it looks like a stock 10-inch Android tablet, with a thick bezel and glossy screen that is covered with Gorilla Glass, and supports 10-finger input. It's an IPS screen, which looks good from off-axis angles, but the screen resolution is 1,280x800 pixels, which is low compared with other current 9- or 10-inch tablets.

A custom dock connector plugs it into the game pad dock, and also connects to a power adapter. There's a standard Micro-USB port, but the company tells us it's not for charging. The Wikipad includes 16GB of solid-state drive (SSD) storage, but a microSSD slot will allow you to expand that with up to a 32GB SSD card.

As of right now, there are no exclusive games for the Wikipad, and there may never be, as it bills itself as an "open" platform. A custom software browser, built into a spinning 3D carousel, shows off highlighted games from the Google Play store, Nvidia's Tegra Zone, and Sony's PlayStation Mobile platform, among others.

Slotting the two parts together resulted in a solid-feeling package, and I didn't worry, even on this preproduction unit, about the tablet sliding out. The game pad dock was also very lightweight (like the tablet, it's mostly plastic), and the analog sticks, buttons, and triggers felt very familiar. The company says the final version will have a better trigger response and coated buttons, but the version I tried worked just fine.

While playing the popular Android shooter Dead Trigger (as seen in the video above), I found using the two analog sticks to be vastly superior to onscreen controls that attempt to mimic a traditional game pad. I didn't feel any lag (it may help that this is a physical dock connection, not a wireless Bluetooth one), and the controls mapped easily -- as they should in any game that uses the standard Android game pad API.

With games that are available elsewhere, and tablet hardware that isn't as advanced as some competitors, the real selling point here is the symbiotic nature of the game pad and tablet, and how the two work so well together in tandem.

Price is probably the $499 Wikipad's biggest hurdle. Apple's current-gen iPad starts at $499, and both Amazon's 9-inch Kindle Fire HD and the new Barnes & Noble Nook HD+ start at less than $300 (each without a bundled dock, of course). Even the three major living-room consoles, as well as Sony's PlayStation Vita and Nintendo's 3DS, all cost less (as will Nintendo's Wii U).

The Wikipad's physical game controller add-on is something long overdue, and it works very well in hands-on testing, but the system has a big job in convincing gamers to spend that much. The Wikipad will be released on October 31, and we'll bring you a full review when we have the final hardware version.

Carigamers

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • :ps3::wii::xbox360:
  • Referrals: 35
    • View Profile
    • http://www.carigamers.com
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
  • GPU: Geforce GTX 680 2GB
  • RAM: 16GB
  • Broadband: :flow:
  • MBL: Nexus 5x
  • PSN: TriniXaeno
  • XBL: TriniXaeno
Re: Wikipad: Hands-on with the gaming tablet aiming to take on consoles
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 11:03:38 PM »
wtb, dock for use with standard tablets.

Very interesting though.

It is kind of a "no mans land" product.

A better approach may have been an open dock that uses bluetooth or so to work with any tablet.

There is a bluetooth joystick dock for the ipad

Very novel. Can't see these going mainstream though.

Native touch based games will steam roll the tablet space (as they should)

Offline woodyear99

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 113
    • PS3, Wii
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Q6600
  • RAM: 4 Gigabytes
  • Broadband: Flow
  • PSN: wodyer
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 08:08:25 AM »
I think bluetooth is the better way to go, might try one of these options below if I buy the transformer infinity tablet...

Gametel - Portable Games Controller for Mobile Phones and Tablets
http://www.amazon.com/Gametel-Portable-Controller-Mobile-Tablets/dp/B006L2HBXA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348747232&sr=8-1&keywords=bluetooth+tablet+game+controller

Nyko Playpad for Android/Bluetooth (Black)
http://www.amazon.com/Playpad-Android-Bluetooth-PC-Mac-Linux/dp/B0092ZEIN4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348747232&sr=8-2&keywords=bluetooth+tablet+game+controller

PS3 controller makes move on Android games
http://www.reghardware.com/2011/08/09/ps3_controller_gets_android_support/

Offline Preston786

• AdvancedTactics
  • Kage
  • Chakra 35
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-3770
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW 8GB X2
  • RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400
  • Broadband: Digicel Play
  • Origin ID: Preston786
  • Steam: Preston786
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 06:09:09 PM »
I think people missing are the boat here  its the hardware of the tablet itself, its not about the dock / controller but the marriage of the two   

I posted about that gamtel controller a while ago for phones but this in itself is targeted to gamers

I personally have no use for it cause I have to time to game outside of home and

I also don't see the point of tablets on the whole

but there maybe a target demo somewhere out there

Basically to me.... its a bigger Xperia Play with upgraded HW specs :lol: but I like the concept

« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 06:11:09 PM by Preston786 »

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • :ps3::wii::xbox360:
  • Referrals: 35
    • View Profile
    • http://www.carigamers.com
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
  • GPU: Geforce GTX 680 2GB
  • RAM: 16GB
  • Broadband: :flow:
  • MBL: Nexus 5x
  • PSN: TriniXaeno
  • XBL: TriniXaeno
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 06:48:54 PM »
wow, the ps3 controller is now android compatible??

gg no re

I can see that being a viable controller for your big screen android hook up in the future.

+1

Carigamers

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 06:48:54 PM »

* ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Crimson609: yea everything cool how are you?
    August 10, 2022, 07:26:15 AM
  • Pain_Killer: Good day, what's going on with you guys? Is everything Ok?
    February 21, 2021, 05:30:10 PM
  • Crimson609: BOOM covid-19
    August 15, 2020, 01:07:30 PM
  • Shinsoo: bwda 2020 shoutboxing. omg we are in the future and in the past at the same time!
    March 03, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
  • TriniXjin: Watch Black Clover Everyone!
    February 01, 2020, 06:30:00 PM
  • Crimson609: lol
    February 01, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
  • Skitz: So fellas how we go include listing for all dem parts for pc on we profile but doh have any place for motherboard?
    January 24, 2020, 09:11:33 PM
  • Crimson609: :ph34r:
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:28 PM
  • Crimson609: Big up ya whole slef
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:17 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like Link
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:14 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Kitana
    January 20, 2019, 09:22:39 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Chappy
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:53 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul Like Minato
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:48 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like XJin
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:53 PM
  • protomanex: Shout out to man like Crimson
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:44 PM
  • Crimson609: shout out to gyal like Corbie Gonta
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:06 PM
  • cold_187: Why allur don't make a discord or something?
    December 03, 2018, 06:17:38 PM
  • Red Paradox: https://www.twitch.tv/flippay1985 everyday from 6:00pm
    May 29, 2018, 09:40:09 AM
  • Red Paradox: anyone play EA Sports UFC 3.. Looking for a challenge. PSN: Flippay1985 :)
    May 09, 2018, 11:00:52 PM
  • cold_187: @TriniXjin not really, I may have something they need (ssd/ram/mb etc.), hence why I also said "trade" ;)
    February 05, 2018, 10:22:14 AM

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal