Author Topic: HTC One Unveiled (M7)  (Read 11604 times)

Offline Preston786

• AdvancedTactics
  • Kage
  • Chakra 35
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-3770
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW 8GB X2
  • RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400
  • Broadband: Digicel Play
  • Origin ID: Preston786
  • Steam: Preston786
HTC One Unveiled (M7)
« on: February 19, 2013, 06:06:45 PM »

In Depth Hands On: http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/19/htc-one-hands-on-design-and-hardware/

Despite the abundant fanfare and critical acclaim, HTC's One X just couldn't quite mark the spot in 2012. No wonder, then, that the company's lopped off that extraneous letter in favor of a fresher start and renewed brand focus for its latest flagship: the One.

Gone by the wayside are those pure polycarbonate hulls -- HTC's Sense 5-laden Android Jelly Bean (4.1.2) handset comes crafted with an all-around premium look and feel, housing its 4.7-inch 1080p Super LCD 3 display (boasting 468 dpi and protected by Gorilla Glass 2) in a machined aluminum unibody. And, in a bid for the top spot on the mobile totem pole, the One also bears the distinction of being (one of) the first smartphones to feature Qualcomm's quad-core Snapdragon 600, clocked here at 1.7GHz and paired with 2GB RAM.

For all its premium, metallic construction, the One cuts a relatively light figure, weighing in at 143 grams and measuring 5.4 (137.4mm) x 2.7 (68.2mm) x 0.37 (9.3mm) inches -- a thickness that puts it on par with the BlackBerry Z10. Take note, that slim silhouette accommodates for the integrated 2,300mAh Li-polymer battery, radios for WiFi a/ac/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0, NFC and 32GB or 64GB of storage (sorry, there's no slot for microSD expansion).

Looking at the load of innovations HTC's crammed into the One, it's clear this is a handset for the social oversharing set. Even its front face alone tells that story. From the dual stereo speakers (featuring dedicated amps) surrounding the screen to the 2.1-megapixel camera with 88-degree wide-angle lens capable of 1080p video, to the simplified soft keys (one for back, one for home), to the IR blaster (integrated in the power button), to the default BlinkFeed homescreen (a Flipboard-like social feed); it's safe to say, the One's aggressively embracing the role of smartphone as multimedia powerhouse. And that's just what it offers head-on.

HTC's taking a risk with the One. Flip the handset around and you'll find an unassuming rear shooter in the midst of that clean aluminum body. Or, as the company calls it, the UltraPixel camera. Tackling the "myth of the megapixel," HTC's outfitted the One with a 4-megapixel BSI sensor and f/2.0 lens, such that each pixel is meant to gather 300 percent more light than the current crop of smartphone sensors. The camera unit also features optical image stabilization and HTC's ImageChip 2 for HDR, 1080p and 60fps video. But that's not the end of HTC's imaging focus. It's also introducing a new feature / service dubbed Zoe, which allows users to capture and share short videos, much like Vine, via HTC's dedicated site.

Whether or not HTC will finally strike gold with the One, only time will tell. But it's certainly not for lack of effort. This is a smartphone at the top of its class (for now, anyway); a zeitgeist-y take that should please both power and social users alike. Look for it to rollout globally this March in both HSPA and LTE models.

Carigamers

HTC One Unveiled (M7)
« on: February 19, 2013, 06:06:45 PM »

Offline Arcmanov

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 126
  • Gamer/Enthusiast
    • :n64: :gcn: :dreamcast: :xbox360: :computer:
    • View Profile
    • Arcmanov's rig
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.3 GHz
  • GPU: 2 x [Gigabyte] GeForce GTX 1070
  • RAM: 4 x 8GB G.Skill.TridentZ RGB DDR4-2400
  • Broadband: :flow:
  • MBL: LG V20
  • Origin ID: Arcmanov
  • PSN: Arcmanov
  • Steam: Arcmanov
  • XBL: Arcmanov
Re: HTC One Unveiled (M7)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 09:46:44 PM »
Looks fantastic...but again with the 'unibody' construction, and no external micro-SD support?  :shakehead:

HTC will have a hard time marketing that 4-megapixel 'UltraPixel' camera.
Hardcore techies will appreciate the tech involved, but will the average consumer?
They will just look at the lower number and dismiss it.
Systems United Navy - Accipiens ad Astra

Offline MessiaaH

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 6
    • :ps3: :wii:
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
  • CPU: i7 3930k @ 5.0GHz
  • GPU: 3 * Nvidia GTX 680 (Liquid Cooled)
  • RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengence
  • BattleNet ID: MessiaaH / 350
  • XBL: MesssiaaaH
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 10:29:33 PM »
Phone looking sweet, but the ultrapixel is a poor stab at nokia pureview, and next week nokia EOS announcing hopefuly, which will wtfpwn the 920 which is current best camera in phone.

As far as the other specs, nice, hoping to see wp8 version of that bad boy soon. I always love and appreciate HTC build quality and design.

@ Arc, 64gb should be enouhg man, u does use more than that on ur phone? And as far as battery goes, wireless charging kinda change d game boy. My last phone i used to be hot swapping batteries regularly. But with wireless chargers placed in appropriate places, my phone is always on above 80%, most of d times it does be 100%. And negates the need to power down my phone every day to swap batteries. I actually prefer it. And for traveling, i go juss get ah battery jacket to double life and call that george.

Yuh wont be seeing removeable batteries from htc and nokia anytime soon i take it. And i wont be surprised if d GS4 join the unibody boat.

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • :ps3::wii::xbox360:
  • Referrals: 35
    • View Profile
    • http://www.carigamers.com
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
  • GPU: Geforce GTX 680 2GB
  • RAM: 16GB
  • MBL: Nexus 5x
  • PSN: TriniXaeno
  • XBL: TriniXaeno
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 11:13:55 PM »
^What arc said....HTC late to the ball on this one.

lol @ swapping batteries.

You still doing that boy?

Offline Arcmanov

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 126
  • Gamer/Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Arcmanov's rig
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 11:39:49 PM »
If Samsung does that with the S4...they could keep it.

Swapping batteries is no longer absolutely necessary...unless you like to mod your device,
but I can't overstate how necessary it is to have a user-replaceable battery.  (for me at least)

Sometimes, a battery-pull is absolutely necessary when your device start to play up, or to correct a mod/flash gone wrong.

If you never mod your phone, then fine...just Anker up and you're done.

As for the storage issue...if I have to transfer large amounts of data, or large files, I like to take my SD-card out and use it in a card reader (and I do that fairly often),
so yeah, having a removable, hot-swappable memory card is still kind of a big deal.  Again, this is just me.  Others may not feel the same way.

Carigamers

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 11:39:49 PM »

Offline rassmatic

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 87
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K
  • GPU: 2 x EVGA GTX 980s
  • RAM: 16GB DDR4-3000
  • BattleNet ID: rassmatic#1769
  • Broadband:
  • Origin ID: rassmatic
  • Steam: rassmatic
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 11:45:40 PM »
If Samsung does that with the S4...they could keep it.

Swapping batteries is no longer absolutely necessary...unless you like to mod your device,
but I can't overstate how necessary it is to have a user-replaceable battery.  (for me at least)

Sometimes, a battery-pull is absolutely necessary when your device start to play up, or to correct a mod/flash gone wrong.

If you never mod your phone, then fine...just Anker up and you're done.

As for the storage issue...if I have to transfer large amounts of data, or large files, I like to take my SD-card out and use it in a card reader (and I do that fairly often),
so yeah, having a removable, hot-swappable memory card is still kind of a big deal.  Again, this is just me.  Others may not feel the same way.

I agree on both points. Those are the main reasons why I never even bothered with HTC to begin with. Impressive specs but no micro sd and removable battery = no deal for me too.

Offline Preston786

• AdvancedTactics
  • Kage
  • Chakra 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 12:10:47 AM »
It all depends on the user ....I myself didn't get a One X and also a WP at the time... because of that same reason and I ended up with the Raider...but now I find myself not even taking out the microSD card still I don't see the need to take it out just put your phone in mass storage mode and you'll get relatively the same kinda speeds  ... regarding the battery external battery packs have been around for ages since the iPhone actually because that never had a user replaceable battery so that is a moot point... the only thing I want these new devices equipped with is a softreset button just in case of freezes cuz you cant do a battery pull so they should have one...

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • :ps3::wii::xbox360:
  • Referrals: 35
    • View Profile
    • http://www.carigamers.com
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
  • GPU: Geforce GTX 680 2GB
  • RAM: 16GB
  • MBL: Nexus 5x
  • PSN: TriniXaeno
  • XBL: TriniXaeno
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 12:52:11 AM »
I don't swap batteries and I don't take out my SD Card.....that doesn't mean I wont EVER.

Definitely would love to have that option still available to me for when the need arises.

Can't see why they would want to remove it. What good does it do?

Suppose 128gb SD Cards start going for $5.

I could literally  buy 3 or 4 and have my entire movie collection available for viewing on my phone on a trip abroad or such.

Offline Arcmanov

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 126
  • Gamer/Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Arcmanov's rig
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 01:04:08 AM »

It allows manus to make the device really thin.

I could literally  buy 3 or 4 and have my entire movie collection available for viewing on my phone on a trip abroad or such.

Exactly!!!

Offline Preston786

• AdvancedTactics
  • Kage
  • Chakra 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 01:30:06 AM »
I don't swap batteries and I don't take out my SD Card.....that doesn't mean I wont EVER.

Definitely would love to have that option still available to me for when the need arises.

The only need would be if ur phones freezes other than that why would you....

The reason they remove it ....iPhone ... a very shitty example but its happening...

It will force you to buy a new phone when your batterylife starts to go to shit....(or a batterypack)

Buts device makers realized that the majority of people just buy a new one.... (not a fan of this)

also saves money in the manufacturing process somehow as well...

also idk where ur going but if u need 128 GB of things on ur phone to keep you busy u might as well stay home :lol:

the only place I will use that much is probably on a flight to the UK or Saudi or Australia other than that 32 GB is enough....

Oh and BTW this Crysis theme kicks @$$ add it onto the selectable themes plz
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 01:32:18 AM by Preston786 »

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
  • CPU: i5 3470
  • GPU: GTX 780
  • RAM: 8GB Corsair
  • Broadband: Blink 2Mb + Flow 20Mb
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 06:17:12 AM »
To a point, I still hate that manus are moving away from fixed batteries and storage. Unfortunately, that's the direction most of the mobile world is going now. After all, the leaders, both Google and Apple are going in that direction so no surprise the rest are following. The only ones who are pretty much screwed are those that like to have their entire music/movie collection on them at all times. Hard luck dey fellas. Maybe get a tablet which is better suited to that purpose in any event.

The truth is that even as a power user, I very very rarely saw the need to take/swap out my sd card and since I started to roll with a Nexus device, theneed has never arisen. Out of my 16gigs built in I usually have at least 4-6 available to load on the odd large file for transfer. For anything more serious, a flash drive is sufficient. Its not like they take up a lot of space anyway. No reason one can't walk around with one permanently. Thumb on a keychain anyone?

As for powering up, most people are almost always within shouting distance of a power plug. Even under heavy usage, most modern devices average at least 16-20 hours use on a full charge. hard to imagine someone away from a power source for that length of time. For the road warriors who would otherwise pack an extra charged battery, pack a battery pack instead!

Just saying, it would be a shame for people to pass up great devices because there are a couple minor things they dont like for which there are simple workarounds.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:19:42 AM by Captain Awesome »

Offline Arcmanov

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 126
  • Gamer/Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Arcmanov's rig
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 07:58:23 AM »
Great points Cap.

You've illustrated my point quite clearly.
Your experiences are also an exact antithesis of what/how I need my phone to be.  :laughing7:

If the device's battery is big enough, then great, but you can only get so much with a phone before it becomes too unweildy.
I have a battery pack, and you know what...?  I actually find it a lot more convenient to swap out the battery, because trying to use the phone with battery pack attached is a chore.

Unibody construction has definite advantages, but until battery technology catches up...make mine removable yes.
Apple and HTC could keep dat.

SwiftKeyFlowed from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 with Tapatalk 2

Offline MessiaaH

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 6
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 09:14:30 AM »
All windows phone 8 devices have a reset combination (volume down + camera) held down, reboots the phone, so if your phone completely crashes, goes whack from a rom flash etc, this shortcut works fine. So battery swap for those purposes not required. at least on wp8. Android have anything like that?

And at storage, i too use my 920 as a flashdrive, and seems fine for large data transfers between machines. Just plug in with my retractable usb cord, and gg. No sd swaping required. Like many, id prefer to have the sd than not. but i not passing on a device wihtout it, provided it have over 32gb of storage.

Offline Spazosaurus

• Dr. Herp Derpington
  • Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 52
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
    • The Awesome Company
  • CPU: i5 3470
  • GPU: GTX 780
  • RAM: 8GB Corsair
  • Broadband: Blink 2Mb + Flow 20Mb
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 09:20:04 AM »
What if note 3 and s4 comes with non removable components? Stick with what u have forever?

Offline Preston786

• AdvancedTactics
  • Kage
  • Chakra 35
    • View Profile
Re: Re: HTC One Unveiled (M7)
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 10:13:53 AM »
What if note 3 and s4 comes with non removable components? Stick with what u have forever?

OFT...

Sent via my HTC Raider™4G

Offline Arcmanov

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 126
  • Gamer/Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Arcmanov's rig
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 02:26:29 PM »

That is a VERY compelling question.

My last FOUR phones have been Samsung Galaxy devices, but if they go the unibody route, they WILL be keeping it.
Even if it means skipping a generation, then I don't have a problem with that...once the Note 2 getting all the firmware updates.

Customers have to vote with their wallets for what they think is important, and they've done so overwhelmingly in Samsung's favour because of a certain feature set.

I pray that they don't buck their own trend and embrace this unibody design-philosophy.

Offline MessiaaH

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 6
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 02:32:25 PM »
I dont think the majority of samsung owners bought it because of removable storage or removeable battery.
Iphone selling in droves, and it has never had those 2 features.
Samsung selling by the bucketloads because of marketing, plain and simple.

If smasung goes the uni-body route, a few hardcore techies mite kick up, but the average joe out there wont give a hoot. Once they hear Galaxy, they will buy it. And if samsung decides to do that, and they sales not signficiantly affected (and i dont see why it would), then look forward to a good few years of uni-body, then what will you do?

Offline Arcmanov

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 126
  • Gamer/Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Arcmanov's rig
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 03:41:17 PM »
...and yet Android devices, most of which HAVE removable memory/batteries have now outstripped the iPhone in total sales, and now market-share.

I'm not denying that marketing had a greater impact, but you can't deny that there is also a large subset of buyers who actually do  'give a hoot'.
A lot of those same hardcore techie sites (most notably Engadget) lauded the One X for its 'superior unibody construction' and actually gave it the edge
overall when compared directly to the S3.  Guess which one the consumers actually ended up buying...in 'droves'.  Study that for a moment.
Are you trying to tell me ALL those buyers fell for 'marketing'?  People out there clearly knew what they wanted, and the One X wasn't it.

I certainly can't predict how a change in design philosophy will affect sales, but then if ALL manus embrace the unibody design going forward, then we as buyers won't have a choice.
At that point, I'll have to say a reluctant goodbye to the form-factor I know and love.  If the new feature-set is evolutionary enough, then I won't have a problem.  It's that simple.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 04:14:31 PM by Arcmanov »

Offline MessiaaH

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 6
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 04:38:44 PM »
Yes, i am saying that the majority of those people fell for marketing.
I have not met a single client that has even heard of the HTC One X, let alone knows the difference between the GS2 and GS3 other than the fact its "better".

Samsung had a very agressive marketing campaign, in almost every subway in america them samsung banners are stuck all over the place, they saturate the airways, and they get strong carrier relations.

The HTC One X does not even sell on contract over here, it no where to be seen, the Iphone and Galaxy on the other hand are d hot devices.

Is a combination of factors cuase samsung to get as strong as they did, and the fact that they have a removeable battery is one of d lowest thing son d list that got them where they are.

As you point out, many reviews and tech sites says the HTC One X is a better device, then there is the One X Plus / Droid DNA, yet still being a better device they loose in sales, and its not becuase they have unibody design, is because of samsung's superior marketing.

When men go to buy phone, is ah iphone or ah galaxy, they dont even know d term GS3, or Galaxy S 3, they juss know the "galaxy" brand. And the power of that is not a simple matter, and imo contribute dramatically to samsung's success. Hardly anybody i meet even know's what/who HTC is.

So at d end of d day, it doesnt matter if HTC had removebale battery or sd card, or make a unibody phone 10 times better. Unless they market d shit out of it, they kinda screwed.

Dont underestimate the power of marketing. It took samsung a while to build the galaxy brand, but it's now established, and a serious threat. HTC trying to build the "One" brand, but carriers didnt let up at all.

Samsung had the GS3 in it's exact configuration and name, across all carriers world wide. HTC had to dilute they brand, make droid dna, this, that and d other. If they can sell the HTC One, with that name, on all carriers, wihtout changes, and good marketing, they have a chance of coming back.

Time will see if htc have enouhg money left to pull that campaign off, but samsung hard work in that department paying up bigtime now.

Offline Arcmanov

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 126
  • Gamer/Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Arcmanov's rig
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 06:55:20 PM »
'Never heard of the One X'?  After all that extensive coverage and glowing reviews in the mainstream tech media?
Your 'clients' need to be more well read than they are now.
Still, that does underscore HTC's failure to really show up Samsung in the marketing department.

For every person that you say that hasn't heard of the One X, I can probably provide one that has and I am pretty sure they chose another device based on the One X's 'perceived' shortcomings, so that argument is moot.

I still think however, that most smartphone shoppers are more well-informed than they're being given credit for.

HTC needs to step their marketing game up, big time, and demonstrate why they believe their hardware design is superior, or the competition will circle-jerk all over them again.

SwiftKeyFlowed from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 with Tapatalk 2

Carigamers

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 06:55:20 PM »

* ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Crimson609: yea everything cool how are you?
    August 10, 2022, 07:26:15 AM
  • Pain_Killer: Good day, what's going on with you guys? Is everything Ok?
    February 21, 2021, 05:30:10 PM
  • Crimson609: BOOM covid-19
    August 15, 2020, 01:07:30 PM
  • Shinsoo: bwda 2020 shoutboxing. omg we are in the future and in the past at the same time!
    March 03, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
  • TriniXjin: Watch Black Clover Everyone!
    February 01, 2020, 06:30:00 PM
  • Crimson609: lol
    February 01, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
  • Skitz: So fellas how we go include listing for all dem parts for pc on we profile but doh have any place for motherboard?
    January 24, 2020, 09:11:33 PM
  • Crimson609: :ph34r:
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:28 PM
  • Crimson609: Big up ya whole slef
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:17 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like Link
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:14 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Kitana
    January 20, 2019, 09:22:39 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Chappy
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:53 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul Like Minato
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:48 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like XJin
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:53 PM
  • protomanex: Shout out to man like Crimson
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:44 PM
  • Crimson609: shout out to gyal like Corbie Gonta
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:06 PM
  • cold_187: Why allur don't make a discord or something?
    December 03, 2018, 06:17:38 PM
  • Red Paradox: https://www.twitch.tv/flippay1985 everyday from 6:00pm
    May 29, 2018, 09:40:09 AM
  • Red Paradox: anyone play EA Sports UFC 3.. Looking for a challenge. PSN: Flippay1985 :)
    May 09, 2018, 11:00:52 PM
  • cold_187: @TriniXjin not really, I may have something they need (ssd/ram/mb etc.), hence why I also said "trade" ;)
    February 05, 2018, 10:22:14 AM

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal