Author Topic: EVERYTHING Xbox 360  (Read 383941 times)

Offline Arcmanov

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 126
  • Gamer/Enthusiast
    • :n64: :gcn: :dreamcast: :xbox360: :computer:
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcmanov's rig
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.3 GHz
  • GPU: 2 x [Gigabyte] GeForce GTX 1070
  • RAM: 4 x 8GB G.Skill.TridentZ RGB DDR4-2400
  • Broadband: :flow:
  • MBL: LG V20
  • Origin ID: Arcmanov
  • PSN: Arcmanov
  • Steam: Arcmanov
  • XBL: Arcmanov
Re: EVERYTHING Xbox 360
« Reply #1340 on: October 11, 2009, 11:24:07 AM »
Picked up some points from Maximuscards.  They were real nice to deal with, seeing as my redeem code had a wrong
character in it, rendering it 'invalid'.  A quick email cleared that right up.

I'll try for PSN as well, so no more VPN shenanigans (at least for this...downloads are another matter).
Systems United Navy - Accipiens ad Astra

Carigamers

« Reply #1340 on: October 11, 2009, 11:24:07 AM »

Offline woodyear99

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 113
    • PS3, Wii
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Q6600
  • RAM: 4 Gigabytes
  • Broadband: Flow
  • PSN: wodyer
Microsoft bans unofficial Xbox 360 memory units: Update shuts them out
« Reply #1341 on: October 19, 2009, 02:52:16 PM »
http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/microsoft-bans-unofficial-xbox-360-memory-units-643296

Microsoft bans unofficial Xbox 360 memory units
Latest 360 update shuts out third-party carts

If you are using an unofficial memory unit with your Xbox 360 then you had better back up your data onto an authorised Microsoft 360 storage device quick sharp, as the next 360 update will shut-out third party devices from working with your console.

The new update is set to add a range of new features to your Microsoft console, including Last.fm, Facebook, Twitter and more.

Major Nelson advises

Xbox Live's Major Nelson blogs: "When Preview Program members start receiving the Xbox 360 system update next week, one of the changes is that unauthorized Memory Units will no longer work with the Xbox 360. If you've moved your profile or saved games onto one to "back it up," you'd better move it back onto an authorized Xbox 360 storage device prior to taking the update.

"If you continue to use an unauthorised Memory Unit after the update, you will not be able to access your stored profile or saved games."

If you want to know more about officially licensed Xbox 360 storage devices or accessories you can read more about the licensed accessories program on Xbox.com

So there you go. Consider yourself 'advised'...

Offline Netizen1

• Global Moderator
  • Kage
  • Chakra 10
  • save de Earth, iz de only planet with chocolate!
    • :ps3: :psp:
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • Trinidad Christian Center
  • PSN: Netizen1
  • Steam: Netizen1
« Reply #1342 on: October 19, 2009, 04:28:06 PM »
* Netizen1 walks in thread, reads post above

What rubbish...

yet another reason for me not to get an Xbox360...

PS3 ftw~!!!

* Netizen1 storms off topic

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 3770
  • GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070
  • RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR3 2166MHz
  • Broadband: FLOW
  • Steam: W1nTry
  • XBL: W1nTry
« Reply #1343 on: October 19, 2009, 04:32:11 PM »
* Netizen1 walks in thread, reads post above

What rubbish...

yet another reason for me not to get an Xbox360...

PS3 ftw~!!!

* Netizen1 storms off topic
I know nothing of the PS3, but what alternative memory cards did the PS3 support? (and by the way) with the exception of modded 360s (whom in many cases don't go on live in the first place) noone I know uses illegitimate storage, so how is this a problem and reason NOT to get a 360 exactly?

Sounds like a PS3 plug more than anything else.

Offline Arcmanov

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 126
  • Gamer/Enthusiast
    • :n64: :gcn: :dreamcast: :xbox360: :computer:
    • View Profile
    • Arcmanov's rig
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.3 GHz
  • GPU: 2 x [Gigabyte] GeForce GTX 1070
  • RAM: 4 x 8GB G.Skill.TridentZ RGB DDR4-2400
  • MBL: LG V20
  • Origin ID: Arcmanov
  • PSN: Arcmanov
  • Steam: Arcmanov
  • XBL: Arcmanov
« Reply #1344 on: October 19, 2009, 04:46:02 PM »
Because the PS3 has USB ports, and a card reader, which accepts more than one kind of
flash memory, which you can use to transfer any file that can be accessed on the HDD.

Sometimes, I really don't understand why these companies do what they do.  I would like
to know what was the driving force behind this one.  Why shouldn't I be able to back up
stuff on the HDD to any USB-flash media that I choose?  I don't really see the need right now,
but what if...?

*sigh*  whateva.
Systems United Navy - Accipiens ad Astra

Carigamers

« Reply #1344 on: October 19, 2009, 04:46:02 PM »

Offline Philosophical45

• AdvancedTactics
  • Kage
  • Chakra 8
  • PERFORMANCE|P²
    • :computer:
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • GPU: GTX 680
  • RAM: 16GB PNY DDR3 1600MHZ
  • BattleNet ID: Shotology101/#1936
  • Broadband: :blinkbroadband:
  • MBL: Samsung S5 Mini
  • Origin ID: shotology101
  • Steam: shotology101
« Reply #1345 on: October 19, 2009, 04:53:49 PM »
http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/microsoft-bans-unofficial-xbox-360-memory-units-643296

Microsoft bans unofficial Xbox 360 memory units
Latest 360 update shuts out third-party carts

If you are using an unofficial memory unit with your Xbox 360 then you had better back up your data onto an authorised Microsoft 360 storage device quick sharp, as the next 360 update will shut-out third party devices from working with your console.

The new update is set to add a range of new features to your Microsoft console, including Last.fm, Facebook, Twitter and more.

Major Nelson advises

Xbox Live's Major Nelson blogs: "When Preview Program members start receiving the Xbox 360 system update next week, one of the changes is that unauthorized Memory Units will no longer work with the Xbox 360. If you've moved your profile or saved games onto one to "back it up," you'd better move it back onto an authorized Xbox 360 storage device prior to taking the update.

"If you continue to use an unauthorised Memory Unit after the update, you will not be able to access your stored profile or saved games."

If you want to know more about officially licensed Xbox 360 storage devices or accessories you can read more about the licensed accessories program on Xbox.com

So there you go. Consider yourself 'advised'...

wdmc....

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: October 19, 2009, 05:49:30 PM »
The 360 was never marketed like the PS3 in that imho the 360 is a Gaming console that can play media, the PS3 is a media player that can play games. reason being, if you look at just the standard dashboard for the 2, the 360 doesn't have a facility for even browsing the internet. It was centered and IS centered around online gaming. The PS3 has those media slots for you to upload pictures etc. The 360 can dsiplay pics and stream but not much else. So yall are missing the point, this new 'law' MS is about to enforce affects a small handfull of ppl on the 360, if you have doubts ask the GATT 360 community how many of them CARE about whether they can save to USB or flash, i'm almost 100% sure noone will care. And seeing ARC is the ONLY man complaining and ACTUALLY HAS A 360, Arc answer me this:

Have you ever stored ANYTHING on USB to use on the 360? or FLASH? heck you can't even back up the XBox HD to a PC under normal conditions so why is this SUCH a big deal?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 05:51:27 PM by W1nTry »

Offline shivadee

• Honorary Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 13
  • Finally......almost! :)
    • XBOXONE, PS4,Switch, N3DS
    • View Profile
  • BattleNet ID: shivad33#1573
  • Origin ID: shivadee
  • PSN: finab00st
  • Steam: &Shiva
  • XBL: x3xyz
« Reply #1347 on: October 19, 2009, 06:35:13 PM »
the 360 is a gaming platform that plays media

The PS3 is a media platform that plays games

Its marketed this way, its aesthetically appealing this way. It was the design of both consoles.

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: October 19, 2009, 09:58:58 PM »
the 360 is a gaming platform that plays media

The PS3 is a media platform that plays games

Its marketed this way, its aesthetically appealing this way. It was the design of both consoles.

QFMF TRUTH!

So again I ask, WHO OWNS a Xbox 360 and CARES A DAMN about not being able to save to 'alternative' media? Raise of hands?

Offline rb

• Sannin
  • Chakra 6
    • Xbox 360,PS2, Dreamcast
    • View Profile
  • XBL: spoonztt
« Reply #1349 on: October 19, 2009, 11:07:15 PM »
The 360 serves the purpose it was bought for on my end ie playing games. 360 memory cards are useless imo unless you have an old core unit. Everything is on the HD and the HD is detachable.

That being said I'm getting a PS3 for the parents to watch movies on for christmas. If it wasn't for the media capability of the PS3 I wouldn't really consider getting one cause there are 2 exclusives I want to play and they are all rentals as far as I am concerned.

Also the PS3 HAD a card reader and as far as I know the some of the older and all newer PS3s do not have them, however USB card readers do work.

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #1350 on: October 21, 2009, 11:29:56 AM »
More features coming in the fall Dashboard update:

Hands on: Xbox 1080p streaming, social networking impress

The upcoming Xbox Live fall update brings with it Twitter integration, Last.fm, Facebook, and instant streaming of video content at 1080p. So how does it all work? Very well. Our preview of the upcoming features shows a very mature set of updates for the venerable Xbox Live.
By Ben Kuchera | Last updated October 21, 2009 9:56 AM CT

At this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo, Microsoft laid out its plan for Xbox Live. By adding Twitter, Facebook, Last.fm, and streaming high definition video, it was going to create a home entertainment product that would fulfill most of the needs of those buying home theater PCs, or at least add value to the Xbox Live Gold subscription.

Do the company succeed? We have a sneak peek at these features, and we have to say, the implementation is pretty impressive. Read on to see what you have to look forward to with the next big Xbox Live update.

Keep in mind that each of these updates is actually an application that you'll download from Xbox Live, meaning the integration into the dashboard isn't perfect; each one will need to be launched before use. Let's take a look at how well each application works.
Last.fm

Last.fm is a streaming music service that allows you to create custom stations based on your own likes and dislikes. On Xbox Live you're given a selection of premade stations, as well as the ability to create your own.

I began a station by putting in the band name "Wilco," and was treated to a song by one of my favorite bands. Next it played Uncle Tupelo, the band Jeff Tweedy began with Jay Farrar before their split into respective bands. In fact, the next track was by Son Volt, and when I said I liked that, it brought up "Avenues" by Whiskeytown. My Morning Jacket? No thanks. The next selection was from The Jayhawks, and I gave that one a heart. Very quickly it had an idea of what I was looking for, and served up some great music.

You'll also be treated to images of the band you're listening to on the screen, and you can pull up information about each band, as well as similar artists and tags describing the band. This all makes it simple to find other music you might be interested in, or to look through genres.

My next project was creating a station with rock from the 90s, so I started with Alice in Chains. That gave me a Mad Season track, which I said I didn't like. Then it gave me Pearl Jam, and then Stone Temple Pilots, and then Screaming Trees.

None of this is news if you've used Last.fm in the past—and your account will carry over to your Xbox 360 if you have—but if you're new to the service the interface is intuitive, and you'll be able to set up a perfect station in very short order. It's a good fit for the Xbox 360, and anything that can take me from Alice in Chains and get me to Faith No More in four steps is a very good thing.

A minor annoyance, however, is the fact you can't listen to music while doing other things. Since the Last.fm application has to be launched from the dashboard, you can't play music while looking at downloads or doing anything else.
Twitter and Facebook

Is this the time for another "welcome to the social" joke? The Twitter client allows you to update your status, read the latest tweets in your feed, search for topics, and take a look at what the current trending topics are. If you're going to Tweet, you're going to need to pick up a chat pad, as typing even 140 characters with the on-screen keyboard is painful. The interface is nice, bright, and easy to read.

The best thing? There is no way to automate Tweets. That means people won't flood their feed with information about what they're playing or what achievements they've unlocked; this is purely a straight-up Twitter client. Very nice.

Facebook is about what you'd expect. It's set up to look like the Xbox 360 dashboard, and you can check the status updates of friends, take a look at pictures, update your status, and in an odd twist it pointed out two other gaming writers who I was friends with on Facebook, but not on Xbox Live, and then offered me the ability to send them friend invitations.

The linking of all your social media networks may be getting somewhat out of hand.
Zune Video Store

Here's the supposed magic trick: the ability to stream high definition content instantly. We were given a code to download one of the Harry Potter films to try this feature, and the results speak for themselves.

A note on the video: my camera was set to record a teeny-tiny video, and I wanted to record the first time the video loaded. I re-recorded the video, but it said "resume" on the menu, and I didn't want things to look shady. This is the first time the video loaded, and it does so at a good speed. I want to show that off rather than get a slightly clearer video that would make people skeptical.

The video loads nearly instantly, you can skip chapters, and while it does take a moment or two for the video to snap into full high definition, once it does the image looks beautiful. The video marketplace has been rebranded with the Zune name, but the real star here is the streaming technology. You can still download the content if you'd like, but why wait?

Keep in mind the video quality is determined by your connection speed, but I'm not running anything special over here—a speed test showed my connection at 6.8Mbps download and 1.41Mbps upload. The service does what it advertises: streams high definition content instantly.

We'll see how things change when this update goes live and the servers get hit a little harder, but our limited testing is pretty impressive.
In conclusion

This is a solid set of updates, especially since everything will be free for Xbox Live Gold subscribers. The Facebook and Twitter applications were neat, but may not appeal to everyone. The Last.fm feature and streaming video, however, will both add some significant value to the service.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/10/hands-on-xbox-1080p-streaming-social-networking-impress.ars
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 11:32:16 AM by W1nTry »

Offline woodyear99

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 113
    • PS3, Wii
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: October 21, 2009, 11:31:53 AM »
Damn you xbox 360 I want to trust you again but you betrayed me so many times in the past.

Offline Jarrox

• Global Moderator
  • Jonin
  • Chakra 18
    • Xbox, Xbox360
    • View Profile
  • Origin ID: Jarrox
  • PSN: Jarrox
  • XBL: Jarrox
« Reply #1352 on: October 21, 2009, 11:52:29 AM »
Damn you xbox 360 I want to trust you again but you betrayed me so many times in the past.

i know the feeling... i feel yuh pain but i'm a gamer and 360 is it in console gaming, after using the ps3 for a few days I finally made up my mind and i'm sticking with 360. sony cant come close to what microsoft has done.
1f U C4n R34d Th1s U R34lly N33d 70 G3t L41d!!!..

Offline Redlum08

• Global Moderator
  • Sannin
  • Chakra 10
    • Xbox One, Wii U, Xbox 360, Wii, 3DS XL
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 720QM
  • GPU: nVidia GeForce GTS360M VRAM 1 GB
  • RAM: 6 GB 1066Mhz
  • Broadband: Wideband - Time Warner Cable New York 50Mbps Download and 5Mbps Upload
  • Origin ID: RedlumTT
  • PSN: RedlumTT
  • XBL: RedlumTT
« Reply #1353 on: October 21, 2009, 12:11:29 PM »

i know the feeling... i feel yuh pain but i'm a gamer and 360 is it in console gaming, after using the ps3 for a few days I finally made up my mind and i'm sticking with 360. sony cant come close to what microsoft has done.

Spoken like the true Xbox 360 gamer that you are Jarrox. Welcome back dude! :)

Offline chinarakinda

• AdvancedTactics
  • Chunin
  • Chakra 6
    • X360, PS3, PS2
    • View Profile
    • Foz4ric's Blog
  • CPU: Core Duo 2 GHz
  • GPU: Nvidia Geforce 7900 Go Gs
  • RAM: 1 gigabyte
  • PSN: MissCH1evous
  • XBL: Foz4ric
« Reply #1354 on: October 21, 2009, 12:18:07 PM »
Oh hush GREG!!! When you RMA'ing mine eh eh eh

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

Offline Redlum08

• Global Moderator
  • Sannin
  • Chakra 10
    • View Profile
  • Broadband: Wideband - Time Warner Cable New York 50Mbps Download and 5Mbps Upload
« Reply #1355 on: October 21, 2009, 12:49:43 PM »
Oh hush GREG!!! When you RMA'ing mine eh eh eh

Tonight Chi, tonight... :P *awaits W1nTry's blazing*

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: October 21, 2009, 12:50:47 PM »
FOR REAL EH!!! REDLUM RMA RMA RMA RMA RMA RMA RMA RMA RMA RMA RMA RMA RMA RMA RMA RMA RMA RMA

Also both Red and Jarrox have had pretty decent experiences with their Xbox with both lasting well over 2 years. Whereas Woody, myself and foz have had 2 die within 2 years :p

Offline woodyear99

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 113
    • PS3, Wii
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: October 21, 2009, 12:54:05 PM »
Yeah I just want to get some more evidence from various blogs etc. that the hardware issues have been significantly improved. Perhaps then I will be able to try my luck again with that russian roulette :p

Offline W1nTry

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: October 21, 2009, 02:23:09 PM »
when is the next Halo 3 sweat?
Buh laertes we does be on regular during the week, though i'm on late usually. We sweating tonight, not sure it'll be H3, might be BTA IV, but check we round 11 nah

Offline Redlum08

• Global Moderator
  • Sannin
  • Chakra 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: October 21, 2009, 02:59:40 PM »
Yea, check us later tonight, did you go Gold or are you using the 48 Hour card I gave you?

Carigamers

« Reply #1359 on: October 21, 2009, 02:59:40 PM »

* ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Crimson609: yea everything cool how are you?
    August 10, 2022, 07:26:15 AM
  • Pain_Killer: Good day, what's going on with you guys? Is everything Ok?
    February 21, 2021, 05:30:10 PM
  • Crimson609: BOOM covid-19
    August 15, 2020, 01:07:30 PM
  • Shinsoo: bwda 2020 shoutboxing. omg we are in the future and in the past at the same time!
    March 03, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
  • TriniXjin: Watch Black Clover Everyone!
    February 01, 2020, 06:30:00 PM
  • Crimson609: lol
    February 01, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
  • Skitz: So fellas how we go include listing for all dem parts for pc on we profile but doh have any place for motherboard?
    January 24, 2020, 09:11:33 PM
  • Crimson609: :ph34r:
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:28 PM
  • Crimson609: Big up ya whole slef
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:17 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like Link
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:14 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Kitana
    January 20, 2019, 09:22:39 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Chappy
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:53 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul Like Minato
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:48 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like XJin
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:53 PM
  • protomanex: Shout out to man like Crimson
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:44 PM
  • Crimson609: shout out to gyal like Corbie Gonta
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:06 PM
  • cold_187: Why allur don't make a discord or something?
    December 03, 2018, 06:17:38 PM
  • Red Paradox: https://www.twitch.tv/flippay1985 everyday from 6:00pm
    May 29, 2018, 09:40:09 AM
  • Red Paradox: anyone play EA Sports UFC 3.. Looking for a challenge. PSN: Flippay1985 :)
    May 09, 2018, 11:00:52 PM
  • cold_187: @TriniXjin not really, I may have something they need (ssd/ram/mb etc.), hence why I also said "trade" ;)
    February 05, 2018, 10:22:14 AM

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal