Author Topic: !EVERYTHING! PS3  (Read 664789 times)

Offline Doomtack

• AdvancedTactics
  • Jonin
  • Chakra 17
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
  • CPU: i7 930 @ 3.4
  • GPU: 2x GTX 580 SC SLI
  • RAM: 6Gigs HyperX DDR3
  • Broadband: Blink 8Mb
  • PSN: Doomtack
  • XBL: DoomtackTT
Re: !EVERYTHING! PS3
« Reply #2660 on: July 11, 2010, 06:42:06 PM »
well, i gonna pick up my copy this week.

Carigamers

« Reply #2660 on: July 11, 2010, 06:42:06 PM »

Offline woodyear99

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 113
    • PS3, Wii
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Q6600
  • RAM: 4 Gigabytes
  • Broadband: Flow
  • PSN: wodyer
« Reply #2661 on: July 14, 2010, 02:54:13 PM »
Anyone ever saw this? lol

PS3 Assault Rifle Controller

Offline AR!Ø

• Kage
  • Chakra 12
  • Mai
    • PS3 - WiiU - GC
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k @ 3.40ghz
  • GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 690 by ASUS
  • RAM: 8 GB @ 1600Mhz Kingston HyperX Beast
  • Origin ID: ariormtr
  • PSN: ario0787
  • Steam: ario0787
« Reply #2662 on: July 14, 2010, 05:24:28 PM »
I have no idea if it was my doing or not, but I think I got an .MKV file to play on my ps3 through Media Server streaming. Can someone please try this as well and see if it works?

Between yesterday and today I have been lookin around for easy ways to remux mkv's to playable formats and ended up installing Divx (7 I think). A little while ago, a torrent for Durarara finshed and I did a forced refresh of my WMP library and it showed up, but not as 'Unsupported'. Tried playing it and it works -somewhat-. The audio plays flawlessly, the video seems to be playing catch-up with it.

Will try copying the file to the PS3 and report back.

On a side note, possibly related, I dl'ed Yamb and MP4box for similar purposes; also installed PS3 Media Server as a windows service but didn't actually use it.  dunno if any of that may have had something to do with it.

Offline TheApprentice

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 25
    • PS4, PS3, PS Vita, 3DS XL, Xbox 360, PSPgo
  • Referrals: 6
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k
  • GPU: 2x Gigabyte R9 280x
  • RAM: 8GB DDR3 2400MHz
  • Broadband: Rogers
  • Origin ID: TheApprenticePC
  • PSN: The_Apprentice
  • Steam: TheApprenticePC
  • XBL: TheApprenticeXb
« Reply #2663 on: July 14, 2010, 06:35:39 PM »
I use PS3 Media Server and that encodes the MKV file and streams to the PS3 simultaneously.
As far as I'm aware, ps3 doesn't support .mkv playback so it appears whatever was running te media server for you started encoding the MKV file for playback on PS3, hence the video playing "catch-up".
When this happening its really clunky to skip scenes, fast forward etc since the PS3 depends on network speed and your PC hardware, so the best option is just to remux to mkv's for the ps3, even though it takes a while..its much more convenient.

Offline woodyear99

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 113
    • PS3, Wii
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: July 14, 2010, 10:52:25 PM »
I used TVersity, seemed to work ok. I don't watch movies on my PS3 anymore since I got a Western Digital WD TV Live, but when I did I remember using mkv2vob with some great results....http://www.videohelp.com/tools/mkv2vob

Carigamers

« Reply #2664 on: July 14, 2010, 10:52:25 PM »

Offline Rion

• Genin
  • Chakra 2
    • View Profile
  • GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5670
  • RAM: 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
  • Broadband: Blink
  • PSN: Webion, Webinok
« Reply #2665 on: July 17, 2010, 04:51:05 PM »
YESS!! I reflowed my PS3 last night and it's working!! Right now I'm "breaking in" the arctic silver 5 and hoping the system doesn't overheat any time soon. A slim is on the cards for the future though, so I'm not *all that* concerned.
http://www.myylodexperience.blogspot.com

..:--LETHAL GAMER TEE--:..

Offline woodyear99

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 113
    • PS3, Wii
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: July 17, 2010, 05:41:07 PM »
Hmm based on what I've read that would probably a temporary fix. If it working good now though play it as much as u can :)

Offline TheApprentice

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: July 17, 2010, 07:33:20 PM »
My advice" don't go playing a game like Assassin's Creed 2 and beating the main campaign and then working to earn all the trophies to 100% it. You can't trust a reflowed PS3.. you know why??? YOU KNOW WHY???? when you reach 95% of the trophies, the ps3 STABS YOU IN THE BACK with a hidden blade and blinks that yellow light. And when you plan to reflow it again to get the save file off of it... you learn that save file is locked to that serial# ps3...  :crybaby2:

Seriously, don't get involved in super long games as the ylod could happen easily after a reflow. Make sure any games you playing that the save file is "backuppable" and do so very often!
Gratz on the reflowed ps3 though..good job  :thumbsup:

Offline Rion

• Genin
  • Chakra 2
    • View Profile
  • GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5670
  • RAM: 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
  • Broadband: Blink
  • PSN: Webion, Webinok
« Reply #2668 on: July 18, 2010, 04:18:04 PM »
My advice" don't go playing a game like Assassin's Creed 2 and beating the main campaign and then working to earn all the trophies to 100% it. You can't trust a reflowed PS3.. you know why??? YOU KNOW WHY???? when you reach 95% of the trophies, the ps3 STABS YOU IN THE BACK with a hidden blade and blinks that yellow light. And when you plan to reflow it again to get the save file off of it... you learn that save file is locked to that serial# ps3...  :crybaby2:

Seriously, don't get involved in super long games as the ylod could happen easily after a reflow. Make sure any games you playing that the save file is "backuppable" and do so very often!
Gratz on the reflowed ps3 though..good job  :thumbsup:

ROFL!!

Yeah I tried the Uncharted 2 demo and the fan speed went to the highest... sounded like a vacuum cleaner.

So I'll be careful... thanks for the advice.
http://www.myylodexperience.blogspot.com

..:--LETHAL GAMER TEE--:..

Offline Berzerk

• Akatsuki
  • Chakra 103
    • :WIIU: :XBOX ONE:  :3DS:
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core I7 2600K (Stock)
  • GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970 4 Gig
  • RAM: 8 GB DDR 3 Corsair Vengeance 1333 Ram
  • BattleNet ID: berserkiymc
  • Broadband: :flow:
  • Origin ID: berzerker28
  • PSN: BerserkIymc
  • Steam: berzerk880
  • XBL: berserkiymc
« Reply #2669 on: July 18, 2010, 06:49:42 PM »
finally got Red Dead Redemption.

game is awesome. Not too much of a fan of the multiplayer though, at least not the ffa. will have to try the co op.

Offline jcperry

• Genin
  • Chakra 5
  • Follow me on Twitter @ComboChamp
    • PS3, PSP
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • CPU: Macbook Pro
  • Broadband: Blink 4MB
  • PSN: jcperry
« Reply #2670 on: July 20, 2010, 12:54:32 PM »
ha ha ha Stabs u in the back priceless

Offline LimitGTX

• AdvancedTactics
  • Genin
  • Chakra 2
    • Xbox360, Playstation 3
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.2Ghz
  • GPU: ATI 5870
  • RAM: 16GB DDR 2133Mhz
  • PSN: limitgtx
  • Steam: limitgtx
  • XBL: Limit GTX
« Reply #2671 on: July 23, 2010, 05:48:17 PM »
lol @ apprentice, thats just harsh

if you hadda reflow the ps3, (which i have done as well) its pretty much a waist of time, after u do it, most likely it will die again within a month, i just ended up buying another ps3 but i just wish i could unregister my account from my old ps3 ah well......

oh and i hope ur ps3 gonna be up and running for assassin creed brotherhood apprentice, that way i can *kick your ass* in multiplayer, and all other comers who feel they have skill  >:]
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 10:20:12 AM by LimitGTX »

Offline TheApprentice

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: July 23, 2010, 06:46:54 PM »
haha... I really really excited for AC:B.
Definitely gonna get that. Multiplayer looks like nice and fresh fun.

Offline ViCe

• Sannin
  • Chakra -68
  • twitter.com/MrViCe_TT
    • PS4
    • View Profile
    • SyNergy Gaming
  • Broadband: Flow 100Mbps
  • PSN: ViCe-_-KaRTeL
  • XBL: ViCe DaVinci
« Reply #2673 on: July 23, 2010, 08:36:13 PM »
anybody gettin DCUO?
and how d mp works in AC:B?

Offline LimitGTX

• AdvancedTactics
  • Genin
  • Chakra 2
    • Xbox360, Playstation 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: July 24, 2010, 10:14:54 AM »
That should give you a decent idea of how multiplayer works

Offline woodyear99

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 113
    • PS3, Wii
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: August 09, 2010, 12:14:38 PM »
I agree with this article, I've always justified the slow psn downloads/annoying updates with the fact that psn is free......ah well.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/08/dear-sony-there-is-a-reason-your-multiplatform-games-suffer.ars

When it comes to high definition, multiplatform console games, you have a choice: you can go Sony or you can go Microsoft. Frankly, I'm starting to think even Sony wants you to choose Microsoft. Why does it feel like I'm being punished every time I try to play a game on my PlayStation 3?

The last time I tried to play a game on the console, I was forced to download a mandatory update, which added a feature I didn't care about. (The update gave Sony the ability to suggest things to me. Gee, thanks.) The process took 30 minutes.

Then I had to actually download the game from the PlayStation Store, which took an amazingly long time compared to what I'm used to from Xbox Live or Steam. When I saw just how slowly the download was moving, I was tempted to buy it on the Xbox 360 with my own money instead of using the review code supplied to Ars, but I persevered.

All told, it was over an hour before I was actually playing the game. On any other system, it would have been minutes.

Fast-forward to this week, when I wanted to revisit ModNation Racers to see if the new patch improved loading times. I turned on my system, popped the game in, and was gobsmacked to see that the system forced me to grab yet another update. What does this update do? It fixes the first update, the one I didn't want.

So the update downloads, it installs, the system restarts, and there goes twenty minutes of my life I'll never get back. People tell me to set up a proxy server to decrease download times, because slow download speeds are enough of a problem that such bizarre workarounds exist.

Update complete! Let's play ModNation Racers! Of course, I first needed to download the patch to fix the game's loading times. The file is 131MB in size. I can't download it in the background, and it takes seven minutes to complete. That means my data speed is 2.5Mbps, which seems about right for the slow-as-dirt PlayStation 3 downloads. Then it has to install, and the game reboots.

Such stories are not uncommon.

"At this point I basically just build in 30 to 40 minutes [of] time prior to actually playing the game when I turn on my PS3," one gamer told me via Twitter when I complained. Someone else said I shouldn't complain because the PlayStation Network is free. Everyone agreed that these steps, and their general sluggishness, amount to a real pain in the butt.

Ah, but I wasn't actually ready to play yet. I had forgotten that the original review was written on my debug kit; to play on my PS3, I'd need to install the game files to my hard drive. This is mandatory. This is after I updated the update that I didn't want and downloaded the patch that restarted my game to fix the load times on a game that you have to install on your hard drive. Simply wonderful.

So does the patch fix the ModNation loading times? I have no clue. By the time I suffered through this madness, installed and updated and patched and wrote this, it was time to pick up my kids from school.
What's your time worth?

I never think to turn on the system to get these updates when I don't want to game, which means they always smack me in the face when I'm excited about playing something or have to do some work. If I have 30 minutes to game, I'm better off avoiding my PS3 if I haven't played in a while... there will be some form of update or install to eat up that time.

It's not that Microsoft doesn't patch; it does. But the process is so much faster, easier, and less frequent (generally done only to add major features). It's not that Microsoft games can't be installed to the hard drive; they can, it's just rarely mandatory. And I'm not sure what Sony does in terms of download speeds, but they are markedly slower than other digital distribution services on the same Internet connection.

When you're in the weird circumstance where all of this is piled together, it can be infuriating. Not quite PSP Go bad, but still deeply annoying. Sony needs to value our time a little more.

Don't forget, though, you can get firmware updates and patches pushed to your system... if you'd like to spend $50 for a year of PlayStation Plus.

Offline ViCe

• Sannin
  • Chakra -68
  • twitter.com/MrViCe_TT
    • PS4
    • View Profile
    • SyNergy Gaming
  • Broadband: Flow 100Mbps
  • PSN: ViCe-_-KaRTeL
  • XBL: ViCe DaVinci
« Reply #2676 on: August 10, 2010, 04:31:10 AM »
i seem to dload my things at brisk pace on PSN
even on wireless

Offline woodyear99

• Global Moderator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 113
    • PS3, Wii
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: August 10, 2010, 10:41:18 AM »
I guess everyone has different performance on it, my 360's had much better download rates via Live. Still PSN does seem pretty slow with downloads as I now have 25 mbps.

Think u will get Blacklight Tango Down?

Offline LimitGTX

• AdvancedTactics
  • Genin
  • Chakra 2
    • Xbox360, Playstation 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: August 10, 2010, 05:18:57 PM »
psn is slow, compared to any similar servers such as, XBL, Steam or Apple Store, psn does not actually show its dload speed, but i know it doesn't hit 1mb down, more like 600k-700k max on a good day, but i'm only speaking of its speed related to trinidad, i've heard some ppl say before its faster in america, just like XBL.

As for blacklight Tango down, it looks decent but with such a huge number of A+ quality shooters comming soon like Medal of Honor, COD Black Ops, Crysis 2, Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, Halo: Reach(xbox game ofc)  and others afterwards like Killzone 2, socom 4, Gears of War 3.  Shooter Fans are going to be in Bliss this year so it hard to spend money on Blacklight Tango down for a game that i know will only play for maybe 2 months max, and will most likely have a small community of players that have the game. I'd rather just keep my cash for later when the "big"games hit, that lots of people going to be playing

Any Retail Disc Shooters you guys want above the rest? cause honestly i have no clue which one is better than the other atm
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 05:26:27 PM by LimitGTX »

Offline TheApprentice

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: August 10, 2010, 05:56:16 PM »
I did some looking into the speed issue. I get terribly slow speeds compared to the bandwidth I have.
I questioned some people abroad and they get full line speed almost all the time cept peak hours when the PSStore updates.

Sony clearly throttles downloads to people overseas and dedicates bandwidth to North American IP's.
As for people in North America getting slow speeds well I dunno what to say about that part.
Purchasing PlayStation+ did not increase my download speeds either. So even a paid service we still being throttled. :/

Carigamers

« Reply #2679 on: August 10, 2010, 05:56:16 PM »

* ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Crimson609: yea everything cool how are you?
    August 10, 2022, 07:26:15 AM
  • Pain_Killer: Good day, what's going on with you guys? Is everything Ok?
    February 21, 2021, 05:30:10 PM
  • Crimson609: BOOM covid-19
    August 15, 2020, 01:07:30 PM
  • Shinsoo: bwda 2020 shoutboxing. omg we are in the future and in the past at the same time!
    March 03, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
  • TriniXjin: Watch Black Clover Everyone!
    February 01, 2020, 06:30:00 PM
  • Crimson609: lol
    February 01, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
  • Skitz: So fellas how we go include listing for all dem parts for pc on we profile but doh have any place for motherboard?
    January 24, 2020, 09:11:33 PM
  • Crimson609: :ph34r:
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:28 PM
  • Crimson609: Big up ya whole slef
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:17 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like Link
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:14 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Kitana
    January 20, 2019, 09:22:39 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Chappy
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:53 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul Like Minato
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:48 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like XJin
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:53 PM
  • protomanex: Shout out to man like Crimson
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:44 PM
  • Crimson609: shout out to gyal like Corbie Gonta
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:06 PM
  • cold_187: Why allur don't make a discord or something?
    December 03, 2018, 06:17:38 PM
  • Red Paradox: https://www.twitch.tv/flippay1985 everyday from 6:00pm
    May 29, 2018, 09:40:09 AM
  • Red Paradox: anyone play EA Sports UFC 3.. Looking for a challenge. PSN: Flippay1985 :)
    May 09, 2018, 11:00:52 PM
  • cold_187: @TriniXjin not really, I may have something they need (ssd/ram/mb etc.), hence why I also said "trade" ;)
    February 05, 2018, 10:22:14 AM

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal