Author Topic: Wireless BroadBand Option  (Read 15805 times)

Offline StarCon

• Genin
  • Chakra 1
    • PS3
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Q9400
  • GPU: Radeon HD 5850
  • RAM: 4 GB
Wireless BroadBand Option
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2005, 10:58:47 AM »
Green dot seems to be a viable option for peeps without one, but it seems the pro's are all built around the intranet to allow local gaming/networking. But we all know we need servers and players to make that so called all gl's connected dream a reality. Most gl's i know don't have a single rig to spear for hosting a dedicated server and with games like css u need top of the line dedicated rigs. So my suggestion to u guys @green dot is provide local gaming servers for one or two popular games, that should not be a big expense for a company to have 2 or 3 high end machines sitting x locations until the community is thier to help them selves. Internet on sat. sucks thats reality, so hook us up with a great intranet at a better price than 400 bucks or don't expect to woo any tstt customers, cuz u not offering anything that they don't already have. pce.

nah.. I think that would be something for them to explore down the road
(gameservers.net anyone?), they need cover the entire island 1st,  solve the satellite/latency problem and finally come down with the tstt fantasy rates - a connection @ those speeds shouldn't cost more than 60 bucks / m

In heaven all the interesting people are missing.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Carigamers

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2005, 10:58:47 AM »

Offline unforgiven

• Chunin
  • Chakra 2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.faiz.batcave.net
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2005, 11:14:49 AM »
BTW can i use this connection to connect with xbox live? nad have to run good?                    
unforgiven

Offline TrinireturnofGamez

• AdvancedTactics
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2005, 12:23:17 PM »

telu@tstt.net.tt    
to me
    Show options    Feb 3 (13 hours ago)
Hi

The ping times to the Internet currently would be around 550-600 ms.
However, what we are offering to GATT is to provide a wide area network to
the gaming servers and hence the ping times to the gaming servers would be
around 30 ms.

In addition, we will be putting in an off-island fiber link in the near
future to help with latency on off-island applications such as gaming

The fiber line may take a couple of months as at the moment we would need to
rely on TSTT for the fiber link although we are looking at ways of not using
them.

The technology we are using is fixed wireless technology with its own
proprietary protocol which is unpublished. It is not wifi which a lot of
people confuse fixed wireless technology for. Wifi is easy to crack, but
fixed wireless technology is very hard to crack - its much easier to crack
than hacking into a wired service.

Also, the network has airlink security and also DES encryption on the
network.

i'd think venezuala is in range of the network, so they can just run a fibre line there with alot less hassle than TSTT would give them......                      
http://freetrinipoetry.blogspot.com/

Core 2 duo E6600
Asus mobo
Radeon HD 4770
2 gigs DDR2 667 + 2 gigs DDR 800 OCZ

Offline Rampage

• Kage
  • Chakra 5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gatt.co.tt
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2005, 12:42:48 PM »
Green dot seems to be a viable option for peeps without one, but it seems the pro's are all built around the intranet to allow local gaming/networking. But we all know we need servers and players to make that so called all gl's connected dream a reality. Most gl's i know don't have a single rig to spear for hosting a dedicated server and with games like css u need top of the line dedicated rigs. So my suggestion to u guys @green dot is provide local gaming servers for one or two popular games, that should not be a big expense for a company to have 2 or 3 high end machines sitting x locations until the community is thier to help them selves. Internet on sat. sucks thats reality, so hook us up with a great intranet at a better price than 400 bucks or don't expect to woo any tstt customers, cuz u not offering anything that they don't already have. pce.
dan they said they gonna host the game servers for us, we doh hadda worry about that.                      

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • :ps3::wii::xbox360:
  • Referrals: 35
    • View Profile
    • http://www.carigamers.com
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
  • GPU: Geforce GTX 680 2GB
  • RAM: 16GB
  • Broadband: :flow:
  • MBL: Nexus 5x
  • PSN: TriniXaeno
  • XBL: TriniXaeno
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2005, 12:43:45 PM »
good post Trini!!

nice heads up.

I've just saw info on new wireless standards online that will allow 70km range at 70mbps. That should be enough to reach off island to venezuela.

802.16e (for mobile users) and 802.16(2004) (for isps)

check 'em up online!

also, Pre-N. Belkin has a device out for us$150 that can do 800% wider coverage than your typical 54g linksys router.

That is an amazing jump in performance. Also runs @ 108mb. Faster than lan. Walls, not a problem.

Also, menace in case you did not understand...our servers are not going to be hosted at the GLs. They will be consolidated and hosted on the wireless network itself. That way no latency or bandwidth issues and easier to manage.

This will probably the first and last time i hear baego say .... good post trini                    

Carigamers

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2005, 12:43:45 PM »

Offline Rampage

• Kage
  • Chakra 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2005, 12:43:56 PM »
yeah you can but it won't run good.                    

Offline Hitman_Jim

• Genin
  • Chakra 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2005, 02:34:25 AM »
the 1.544k down, 256k up package tstt offers is not true t1 (although for the price they charging it should be)

A T-1 is a dedicated phone connection supporting data rates of 1.544Mbits per second. A T-1 line actually consists of 24 individual channels, each of which supports 64Kbits per second. Each 64Kbit/second channel can be configured to carry voice or data traffic. Most telephone companies allow you to buy just some of these individual channels, known as fractional T-1 access

T1 data are normally treated as higher importance by telcos, than DSL lines, so time to repair and provisioning can be considerably faster. A T1 fault may be repaired within hours, or a day, whereas a DSL line fault could be a 5 day turn around time. (normal for US telcos tstt may take weeks)

The other important difference is that T1 lines are more easily repeated to cover longer distances, something that has not yet happened for ADSL lines.

Offline TriniXaeno

• Administrator
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 14
    • :ps3::wii::xbox360:
  • Referrals: 35
    • View Profile
    • http://www.carigamers.com
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
  • GPU: Geforce GTX 680 2GB
  • RAM: 16GB
  • Broadband: :flow:
  • MBL: Nexus 5x
  • PSN: TriniXaeno
  • XBL: TriniXaeno
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2005, 05:16:01 AM »
cool

That T1 sounds like super ISDN

TSTT T1 sounds like super DSL.

Apart from the service turn around time and distance converage, is there any other real world disadvantage when it comes to download speeds or latency?

We have 512k ISDN in the office but I have never used it for anything other than Video Conferencing. I don't suppose they inherently have internet access?                    

Offline cereal_killer

• Jonin
  • Chakra -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2005, 01:02:11 PM »
how soon will we know if they implimenting the 128 k?                    

Offline Hitman_Jim

• Genin
  • Chakra 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2005, 01:19:57 PM »
cool

That T1 sounds like super ISDN

TSTT T1 sounds like super DSL.

Apart from the service turn around time and distance converage, is there any other real world disadvantage when it comes to download speeds or latency?

We have 512k ISDN in the office but I have never used it for anything other than Video Conferencing. I don't suppose they inherently have internet access?
with a T1 you get high-speed downloading and uploading which makes it great for webservers.                    

• AdvancedTactics
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2005, 02:49:07 PM »
our quake 3 , war 3 and other older game servers won't take up much resources ,  running on linux we could use a single ,machine to host them all ( if we can find an up to date dedicated linux  patch) , .  on three  to four  machines  that are medium spec ( 1.6-2ghz, 256 RAM)  should be able to hold all the game servers we currantly need, dedicated 24/7 , COD, HALO , SOF2 , War 3 , quake III etc.  and maybe even some .. filez   that are in high demand........                      

Core 2 duo E6600
Asus mobo
Radeon HD 4770

Offline Kayode

• Jonin
  • Chakra 0
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2005, 05:04:35 PM »
I doh really like how this is sounding, but that's my personal opinion.

It sounds like the only real advantage of this service is that you'll be have an excellent online gaming facility locally.

Your sweat will be limited to whoever's on the service...and whatever game's they're playing.

Stuff like Lineage, WoW, Call of Duty, UT 2k4 on foreign servers will be out of the question.

You'll be screwed with lag, or seriously disadvantaged at best.

Can someone from the company address this?

It sounds as if taking this service is confining you to the local scene. What's the point of that if TSTT allows you to play well locally as well as internationally?

Baego, haven't you always championed the idea of GATT on the internation scene? How are we going to become an international force if we can't even sweat against people in foreign countries?

Somebody lay out a clear Pros and Cons nah...this sounding way too one-sided. I must be getting something wrong.                    

Offline Kayode

• Jonin
  • Chakra 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2005, 05:08:58 PM »
You might be able to connect but it will run terribly.                    

Offline Kayode

• Jonin
  • Chakra 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2005, 05:26:56 PM »
From reading the whole thread, this is what I'm getting.

PROS

- Wireless
 - Same speed as TSTT
 - Same price as TSTT
 - Turbo speed Intranet to sweat with people in Trinidad who have the service.

CONS

- Terrible for online gaming on foreign servers
 - Terrible for online gaming with anyone who isn't with Green Dot.

- Bad for P2P networks.
 - Not portable.
 - Speed and reliability of service easily influenced by bad weather.

The bold parts have me real worried. I need to hear solid information about those points, not no setta ring-rong talk, before I consider this service.

I'm also not really interested in what's coming soon. When it comes, so will I.

Only thing this has over TSTT at all is the ability to sweat better with people on the network. I need clarification.                    

Offline StarCon

• Genin
  • Chakra 1
    • PS3
    • View Profile
  • CPU: Intel Q9400
  • GPU: Radeon HD 5850
  • RAM: 4 GB
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2005, 07:11:37 PM »
for some ppl speeds with green dot might actually be better -
I can only watch in awe how fast the internet connection at browwwsers
in sando is, compared to mine - I'm getting isdn like speeds on the same package in my area.

some of the cons you list for green dot easily apply to tstt's dsl as well.
as I discussed before - pings from my location (might be different
with u all in pos) are highly unsuitable for online gaming -
90 ms is the least I got - which is acceptable for a ffa game.
I've tried to connect to my ex-clanserver in germany and got pings
around 150-300ms - so ut is out of the question for me.

so if you plan to play in tournaments, u won't stand a chance against
all the us kiddies with 20ms pings.

bad weather does have some detrimental effects on tstt's services too.
whenever there's heavy rain, we lose phone service for a couple days =)

the fact that there's a new company offering broadband in trinidad,  that is a) not relying on tstt's infrastructure and B) willing to cover the entire island,  is commendable. however prices should be at least 25-30% lower to attract more ppl.

In heaven all the interesting people are missing.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• AdvancedTactics
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2005, 07:39:03 PM »
don't forget alyuh, in a few months the pings will be just as good, maybe even BETTER than TSTT DSL speeds, as they are getting a fibre line !  high pings are only temporary .
    They will have a big market, most people don't even know what a 'ping' is and they are covering alot of areas where DSL coverage doesn't ......   many people will jump on it just because it ISN"T tstt.....

does your cell phone service get affected by weather much ? this service operates on an even HIGHER frequency  , clouds and static would not affect it much, and even when it does, you have 3 sattelites covering us not one , TSTT doesn't have a  backup for  their ADSL network, so when it goes down you suck salt with no net for d whole day !  
  I have yet to see how good (or bad) the service actually is but i doubt it can be any worse than TSTT !                      

Core 2 duo E6600
Asus mobo
Radeon HD 4770

Offline Rampage

• Kage
  • Chakra 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2005, 08:24:27 PM »
some of the cons you list for green dot easily apply to tstt's dsl as well.
as I discussed before - pings from my location (might be different
with u all in pos) are highly unsuitable for online gaming -
90 ms is the least I got - which is acceptable for a ffa game.
I've tried to connect to my ex-clanserver in germany and got pings
around 150-300ms - so ut is out of the question for me.

so if you plan to play in tournaments, u won't stand a chance against
all the us kiddies with 20ms pings.

it have something call worse in my vocabulary. you can still play good game with 150ping, you may not be able to but i sure as hell can. so imagine if you getting 150 ping with dsl what you go get on satelite? twice/three times as worse, you looking at not playable at all, not even with flak/grenade.

don't forget alyuh, in a few months the pings will be just as good, maybe even BETTER than TSTT DSL speeds, as they are getting a fibre line ! high pings are only temporary .
They will have a big market, most people don't even know what a 'ping' is and they are covering alot of areas where DSL coverage doesn't ...... many people will jump on it just because it ISN"T tstt.....

to those who not covered by tstt then ofcourse this wireless is the best bet, no doubt about it. and you said in a few months ithe pings will be just like tstt. well in a few months tstt may increase the bandwidth even more as competition is now here. is only a matter of time. we talking about now, not months away. they hadda build up customers an thing before they can implement those stuff

does your cell phone service get affected by weather much ? this service operates on an even HIGHER frequency , clouds and static would not affect it much, and even when it does, you have 3 sattelites covering us not one , TSTT doesn't have a backup for their ADSL network, so when it goes down you suck salt with no net for d whole day !
I have yet to see how good (or bad) the service actually is but i doubt it can be any worse than TSTT !

do you understand how satelites work? it would be logical that those 3 satelites are placed all across the island, like one in east, one in north and one in south or something. if you living in a place that does real rain an thing like chaguanas i go hear bout you :P anyway if the ADSL network goes down you can always use dialup on the same account.                      

Offline Kayode

• Jonin
  • Chakra 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2005, 08:31:02 PM »
I doh know if the worst-case scenario 300ms that you get on TSTT is anywhere as significant as the consistent 500ms+ that you will get on a Green Dot account.

I want solid facts, both pro and con, before considering it, and I also want to hear feedback who actually have it.

$500 + $400 monthly is plenty money to spend on what *might* happen.

And I definitely not willing to give up the ability to play games on foreign servers.                    

• AdvancedTactics
  • Akatsuki
  • Chakra 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2005, 08:38:07 PM »
it would be logical that those 3 satelites are placed all across the island, like one in east, one in north and one in south or something. if you living in a place that does real rain an thing like chaguanas i go hear bout you :P anyway if the ADSL network goes down you can always use dialup on the same account.
 trinidad is just over  5000km 2 .... i'd think there'd be ALOT of overlapping by those sattelites ...........                      

Core 2 duo E6600
Asus mobo
Radeon HD 4770

Offline Kayode

• Jonin
  • Chakra 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2005, 08:38:30 PM »
Less than 150 is good performance for any online shooter.

Less than 100 is great.

There were scores of servers with that level of ping on every online shooter I've played so far. Particularly CS: Source.

And that was before the bandwidth increase. I don't know if anything's changed.

I don't think it should be implied that online shooters are in any way unplayable on TSTT DSL. That is very far from the truth.                    

Carigamers

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2005, 08:38:30 PM »

* ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Crimson609: yea everything cool how are you?
    August 10, 2022, 07:26:15 AM
  • Pain_Killer: Good day, what's going on with you guys? Is everything Ok?
    February 21, 2021, 05:30:10 PM
  • Crimson609: BOOM covid-19
    August 15, 2020, 01:07:30 PM
  • Shinsoo: bwda 2020 shoutboxing. omg we are in the future and in the past at the same time!
    March 03, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
  • TriniXjin: Watch Black Clover Everyone!
    February 01, 2020, 06:30:00 PM
  • Crimson609: lol
    February 01, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
  • Skitz: So fellas how we go include listing for all dem parts for pc on we profile but doh have any place for motherboard?
    January 24, 2020, 09:11:33 PM
  • Crimson609: :ph34r:
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:28 PM
  • Crimson609: Big up ya whole slef
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:17 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like Link
    January 20, 2019, 09:23:14 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Kitana
    January 20, 2019, 09:22:39 PM
  • protomanex: Man like Chappy
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:53 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul Like Minato
    January 20, 2019, 09:21:48 PM
  • protomanex: Gyul like XJin
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:53 PM
  • protomanex: Shout out to man like Crimson
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:44 PM
  • Crimson609: shout out to gyal like Corbie Gonta
    January 20, 2019, 09:19:06 PM
  • cold_187: Why allur don't make a discord or something?
    December 03, 2018, 06:17:38 PM
  • Red Paradox: https://www.twitch.tv/flippay1985 everyday from 6:00pm
    May 29, 2018, 09:40:09 AM
  • Red Paradox: anyone play EA Sports UFC 3.. Looking for a challenge. PSN: Flippay1985 :)
    May 09, 2018, 11:00:52 PM
  • cold_187: @TriniXjin not really, I may have something they need (ssd/ram/mb etc.), hence why I also said "trade" ;)
    February 05, 2018, 10:22:14 AM

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal